Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Dyson DC07

9ac77ed5-2750-47b3-bd5b-5c9718a92dd6_4.jpg

On clearance at Sears. More than I ever though I'd pay for a vacuum, but with two cats (who shed a lot) and a dog (who thankfully sheds very little), not a good place to skimp. And thankfully, fully returnable if it doesn't meet expectations.

Watchmen in trade paperback. I have all the original comics from the 1980s, which I haven't read in over 15 years. I'm surprised how little I remember of the story. I didn't want to manhandle the now 20+ year old originals, so I coughed up $21 for the TBP.

I also, uh, bought a lot of photography-related stuff, but I'll post on that elsewhere.

Dyson DC07

9ac77ed5-2750-47b3-bd5b-5c9718a92dd6_4.jpg

On clearance at Sears. More than I ever though I'd pay for a vacuum, but with two cats (who shed a lot) and a dog (who thankfully sheds very little), not a good place to skimp. And thankfully, fully returnable if it doesn't meet expectations.

I'd love to hear how it goes...I've always wanted one of those, but the price has stopped me. We have a cat and a dog as well.

I would've laughed you out of the room if anyone told me I'd be blown away by a fucking vacuum cleaner before but damn it, I'm impressed. The main level of my place is maybe 28x30 or so, and I had to empty the canister 5 times! And I could probably easily do it once or twice more! And I was able to reach everything but my kitchen from one outlet on the far side of my place.

My condo was an apartment prior to the conversion, and replacing the carpet just wasn't in my pre-move-in budget. So combine tenants treating the rug like crap over the years with 5 weeks of renovations (including lots of drywall work) and I was left with a pretty nasty carpet. And my 2 year old Dirt Devil could pick up anything. So over the last 6 months, my place was looking worse and worse.

I'm not going to say that the carpet looks brand new, because it doesn't. But at least now it now looks clean with permanant stains instead of just filthy. I'm very impressed, and will not be returning it! There is zero cat hair anywhere on the carpet or rugs, and it got everything out from the stairs and in corners.

The way I was able to justify the additional cost when compared to other bagless ones, and directly next to the $150 Bissell pet one I was looking at...

• $150 for the Bissell, plus the option of $50 for the extended warranty. And from what I've read about vacuums in that price range, you want the warranty. Burnt out motors, broken belts, etc.
  • Warranty for 3 years, meaning you know it will crap out after 3 years. Again, 2-3 years is a typical life expectancy for a cheap vacuum. Plus being without it in the likely event of problems.
  • $20-30 per year for filters. Bagless doesn't mean no additional money.
  • $350 for the Dyson, with a lifetime washable HEPA filter.
  • 5 year warranty included, and from what I've read, they're amazing with warranty coverage.
  • Considerably stronger motor and more suction which should do a better job.

So, it came down to $350 now, or $150-200 now with the idea that it's only a 2-3 year solution, and then there's the hassle of dealing with repairs or replacement in a few years, all for an inferior product. And Sears having 0% interest for 6 months if you open a Sears Card sealed the deal.

When our last vacuum bite the dust we ended up getting a Sebo X4 Extra. Looked into the Dysons and it seemed like they work good at first but fade away after a while.

Found a local Sebo dealer, but they did not carry it in stock because of the price and that it is a little know brand here in the US. Because of this he just charged us $100 over his cost. So it actually turned out to be a good and so far we (by we I mean my wife) have been very happy with it.

It looks like you're headed up the creek without a paddle.

Forgot to add that I also bought two paddles :P

Epic Win. We have 3 canoes: Two Old Town, and one MadRiver.

This is our first family canoe but I doubt it will be our last. Almost pulled the trigger on an old town but this one just seemed perfect for our needs.

I'd love to hear how it goes...I've always wanted one of those, but the price has stopped me. We have a cat and a dog as well.

I've had one, the purple one for pet hair, for a few years. I used the 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond and got $100 off. It was still expensive, but I don't regret it. It's the best vacuum I've ever had.

I bought new lipstick today :-*