Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

It has a pretty impressive list of features...

3G

Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

GPS (which Verizon is unlocking Q1 09 for use w/ free software)

Windows Mobile 6.1 w/ Samsung's own skin, media player & sub-menus which is a nice improvement on the stock WM interface, especially for touch screens.

8GB (w/ MicroSD for up to another 16GB)

It should be a nice step up from my Motorola Q. Only real drawback is no 3.5mm output, but the adapter they ship with it should be fine.

Ooooo, nice. I'll be interested in your real-world experience. I'm also on Verizon and currently also have a Moto Q so I am intrigued.

I've really liked my Q, so I was hesitant to go to a full touch-screen phone. The physical keyboard was great, and the smaller screen didn't bother me much. But I didn't care for the newer Qs (I have an original one from Sprint).

Initial impressions are very positive. I know a lot of people don't like Windows Mobile, but I have no issues with it in general. And Samsung has done a nice job re-skinning the first few levels of fucntionality to make it more touchscreen friendly. Opera 9.5 is great, the touch screen seems fairly responsive and the accellerometer has worked great for me. And I definitely like the visual voicemail, though I wish that was a free option. And I'm glad to hear that Verizon caved and is unlocking the GPS for people who want to use it with free programs like Google Maps. So far no obvious shortcomings, and just a few things I want to research how to change. There are some pretty impressive forums and bodies of knowledge on the Omnia out there to futher tweak it to suit your needs. An example is that there was a Samsung Today home screen configuration (Samsung Today 2) that I saw in all of the unlocked reviews I'd read, and it is the clear winner for my taste. But it's not part of the Verizon package. But a quick DL and installation of a .cab file and it was just what I wanted.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Me: Approx 3 TB of disk space.Yeah, that way if you ever sell it, you can "restore" it to its original condition.

LOL I'd never take that hassle just to be able to charge a few bucks more. Were I to sell them, I'd leave them "as is". However I could investigate the "letraset" thing I commented you in the other thread.

Cool. Is the main advantage of the 981HD over the 980H that the former has the supposedly better video chipset? Apart from that the 980H seems like a more feature-rich unit. Have you tried the USB input on it yet? I'm also curious how Oppo players handle scratched disks.

That's my understanding of the main supposed difference... the 981HD better for video, and the 980H better for audio. I'm not gonna complain that I get better video out of the 980H though. :P

I haven't used the USB input on it, didn't even realize it had one. Same for scratched discs; I'm not sure how it handles them as I try to keep mine in pretty good shape.

Rotel RCD-991 CDP. PMD100 HDCD and 2x PCM63P. Sony laser mech instead of Philips (as in you can find them and they don't cost $100). Going to take a serious look at some mods; output stage, possible clocking, etc. These are supposed to be built very well; I guess I'll find out once it gets here. Need to find a remote for it.

If anyone has suggestions feel free...

821f_1.JPG

You should definitely install moar BlackGates as the Rotels don't have enough. ;) I have the RCD-971 and it is a great player that I sadly neglect due to a wealth of other sources. It's similar to the 991 using most of the same chips and design. The only mods I did was to install an IEC connector but a new clock, better opamps in the output stage and some PSU work springs to mind.

Rotel RCD-991 CDP. PMD100 HDCD and 2x PCM63P. Sony laser mech instead of Philips (as in you can find them and they don't cost $100). Going to take a serious look at some mods; output stage, possible clocking, etc. These are supposed to be built very well; I guess I'll find out once it gets here. Need to find a remote for it.

If anyone has suggestions feel free...

821f_1.JPG

You may want to try the programable Logitech remotes, if that CD player is in their database then your good to go.