Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

*Note to self: Guzzi doesn't get any whisk[e]y at CJ09*

I bought the Ri on the recommendation of the shopkeeper and without knowing anything about it. It turns out that it is a Jim Beam product that is in fact an answer to the slick premium vodka marketing that was so successful. This stuff is a turnoff but I like rye whiskey so I am willing to try it. It smelled perfectly fine, and the wine/booze snob who sold it to me said it was great stuff. We shall see.

I like good rye and the whiskey in it may be perfectly good, in which case I'll happily drink it. I just think that the marketing approach is pure lose. It will turn off existing drinkers and I doubt it will attact new drinkers. But then what do I know? Nobody is throwing money at me for my marketing acumen. ;)

3334333682_42a4b60c61_b.jpg

Aww, aren't they cute? I had no intention of buying anything of the sort today. I had to go to NoHo to get my taxes done, and afterward I visited Spearit Sound. The had a ton of gear in their used room, most of which was little or no interest to me. They did have two different Pioneer Elite CDPs with the "stable platter" transports, and the two Luminous Axiom balanced passive attenuators.

As is usually the case, there was one cool salesman and one frothing asshat. The latter asked a number of questions about my system when I mentioned I had recently purchased a AR LS9. He asked me if the outputs were truly balanced when using an SE input. I said I didn't know, but suspected AR used a transformer. He also asked if I usually mixed "pro audio" gear (that's an epithet) with high end home equipment. Apparently Quad 12L Actives are "pro" because they're magnetically shielded and self-powered. At that moment I wished I could remember the name of DOTU's massive self-powered speakers, but sadly I had no idea. After 5 minutes more talking to this cretin, I would have preferred to crush his head with said speakers, vs. convincing him of their merits.

Fortunately, the other salesdroid returned at that moment and told me that the Luminous attenuators had come in with a bunch of new gear, were not in the computer but could be mine for $50 each in a special Friday afternoon "My Coworker is a Douchenozzel" sale. I bought them on the spot, and let the other guy live.

:indra:

I took this shot with a $4 flash unit. Click on the image to go to it's photo page on flickr for further photo nerdity.

Apparently Quad 12L Actives are "pro" because they're magnetically shielded and self-powered.
Oooooo, let me at 'im, let me at 'im! I'd never mix or monitor anything seriously on those, they're just way too pleasant to listen to, all my mixes would come out sounding like crap, because even the harshest music sounds good coming out of those.

Oh, and me: Blu-Ray ROM/DVD/CD burner w/ lightscribe -- SATA, no less

Edited by Dusty Chalk

3334333682_42a4b60c61_b.jpg

Aww, aren't they cute? I had no intention of buying anything of the sort today. I had to go to NoHo to get my taxes done, and afterward I visited Spearit Sound. The had a ton of gear in their used room, most of which was little or no interest to me. They did have two different Pioneer Elite CDPs with the "stable platter" transports, and the two Luminous Axiom balanced passive attenuators.

As is usually the case, there was one cool salesman and one frothing asshat. The latter asked a number of questions about my system when I mentioned I had recently purchased a AR LS9. He asked me if the outputs were truly balanced when using an SE input. I said I didn't know, but suspected AR used a transformer. He also asked if I usually mixed "pro audio" gear (that's an epithet) with high end home equipment. Apparently Quad 12L Actives are "pro" because they're magnetically shielded and self-powered. At that moment I wished I could remember the name of DOTU's massive self-powered speakers, but sadly I had no idea. After 5 minutes more talking to this cretin, I would have preferred to crush his head with said speakers, vs. convincing him of their merits.

Fortunately, the other salesdroid returned at that moment and told me that the Luminous attenuators had come in with a bunch of new gear, were not in the computer but could be mine for $50 each in a special Friday afternoon "My Coworker is a Douchenozzel" sale. I bought them on the spot, and let the other guy live.

:indra:

I took this shot with a $4 flash unit. Click on the image to go to it's photo page on flickr for further photo nerdity.

Can you describe these two (I have been there quite a few times) I want to see if I am correct on who was who.

Can you describe these two (I have been there quite a few times) I want to see if I am correct on who was who.

The cool one hs a lazy eye and a goatee. He remembered my name, which is impressive as I don't think I've seen him in two years. The bad one was young, thin and had closely cropped brown hair. He had a narrow chin and pointy ears. He looked a bit like an evil elf, you know the kind that needs to have a Krell monoblock land on him Wile E. Cyote style.