Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

TiVo HD.

Which unfortunately cannot access clear QAM HD channels from Comcast without a CableCard. Which borders on retarded. Which leaves me at a loss of what to do next.

I thought Comcast DVR's were getting Tivo software sometime this year?

I thought Comcast DVR's were getting Tivo software sometime this year?

I have the Comcast/Tivo DVR and it, in a word, sucks. I actually think that the straight Comcast DVR is better and that isn't saying much. It's not even remotely close to an actual Tivo.

It's like if you recruited Usain Bolt to run a race for your team but just prior to the start made him eat 50 hot dogs, blindfolded him and tied both his legs together. Sure, he'd still mostly look like the fastest guy in the world but he'd probably not go where you wanted, wouldn't be fast and stands a good chance of puking.

I have the Comcast/Tivo DVR and it, in a word, sucks. I actually think that the straight Comcast DVR is better and that isn't saying much. It's not even remotely close to an actual Tivo.

It's like if you recruited Usain Bolt to run a race for your team but just prior to the start made him eat 50 hot dogs, blindfolded him and tied both his legs together. Sure, he'd still mostly look like the fastest guy in the world but he'd probably not go where you wanted, wouldn't be fast and stands a good chance of puking.

Damn!

When I read Todd's post I felt all hopeful and stuff that I'd get a DVR that is easier to use but it does not appear meant to be.

Damn!

When I read Todd's post I felt all hopeful and stuff that I'd get a DVR that is easier to use but it does not appear meant to be.

I cannot adequately express the disappointment it was to have the Tivo software installed and realize how much it'd be hacked and handcuffed. 4 years removed from my last Tivo and I still miss it and honestly, if Hulu could stream to my PS3 in HD I'd ditch cable altogether.

Shitty tech aside, you just came up with a pretty great new event for the Summer Olympics.

A six million dollar home.

BTW, great lens, Mike. f2.8 at 200mm + in-lens IS=:cool:

Mark, thanks. The lens arrives tomorrow.

Well, it's not a house, it's a camera bag. But it's a nice camera bag.

They have odd names for all their stuff.

Crumpler 6MDH

MD0607A-img03-65677143-327b-405b-83cb-bd00e800c3ae.jpg

MD0607A-img06-044fe8f3-96da-4b2c-b6bd-b38ffe04cf7d.jpg

It would be pretty cramped for a meet.

I have the 7 million. It is a nice bag. I also picked a Crumpler backpack for photo gear.

I cannot adequately express the disappointment it was to have the Tivo software installed and realize how much it'd be hacked and handcuffed. 4 years removed from my last Tivo and I still miss it and honestly, if Hulu could stream to my PS3 in HD I'd ditch cable altogether.

Have you tried PlayOn? I've been thinking about it, but haven't pulled a trigger as it requires dealing with my wife's laptop, which is the only PC in the house.

Mike: Congrats on the lens. Nice piece of kit.

Why? I have the Nikon 70-200 it is amazing.

I compared the then current Nikon and Canon back in 2005 and the Canon consistently focused faster, had less shutter lag, and was simply easier to shoot with. My camera was a D200 and the Canon was a comparable model but I cannot remember which actual model it was, so if my memory is faulty it could at least partially due to the camera being better. Both were (are?) very good lenses but the Canon seemed better to me. Regardless, my main need is the flattest field macro I can obtain for reasonable $ and a versatile flash system, so I'm sticking with Nikon.

Have you tried PlayOn? I've been thinking about it, but haven't pulled a trigger as it requires dealing with my wife's laptop, which is the only PC in the house.

I have been using PlayOn to stream Hulu to the tv for about a year now (first through Popcorn Hour A-110 and now through the PS3). Although, it can be a little buggy (have to restart every once in while), with the PS3, it seems to work pretty well and seems to be getting better. It was buggier with the Popcorn Hour. It is annoying that it only runs on Windows since this means I also have to run it on my partner's laptop (which he doesn't keep running all the time). The good thing is that you can try it out for free for 14 days.

I'll have to look into Plex.

Edited by shellylh