Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

We will have to find some appropriately wicked things to make with it. :indra: The more I search around the more cool things I find to try...

please keep me out of that conversation. I don't know what I'd use it for, so I'm blissfully ignorant. I'm saving up my pennies for a saw at the moment, once we get moved to the new place and all...

please keep me out of that conversation. I don't know what I'd use it for, so I'm blissfully ignorant. I'm saving up my pennies for a saw at the moment, once we get moved to the new place and all...

Come on, you don't want custom shaft extension kits, knobs, tube rings...

do you take visitors?...i've always wanted a 588...i've put the thought of ever owning an 808.2i far out of mind...congrats...

on my end, i just ordered an oppo bdp-80 for my dad...this means i can finally have my bdp-83 back for use with my kuro:)...

:) Must say anyway I was not dumb all this time liking my G08, and 588 is not far neither ;)

1 John H Handy Sazerac rye

4-pack Palo Santo Marron

1 large btl Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale

That ought to hold me the rest of the week.

Nice haul. I had an opportunity to pick up a growler of the Palo tonight but passed. First Shelly and now you with the Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale. That was the first and last Flemish Ale I had at Monk's Cafe in Philly. There was the Flemish Ale that Jp had me try without warning. I asked him for some sour milk to rinse out the taste of the Flemish Ale. It was funny at the time.

I have to admit that this worries me slightly, as Marc really has very little experience with shop tools. I plan to head up and teach him all the safety points once he gets his new table saw and bandsaw though. I'd really like him to keep all 8 fingers! On the other hand, once he get's the hang of it we can have some real fun!

I have to admit that this worries me slightly, as Marc really has very little experience with shop tools. I plan to head up and teach him all the safety points once he gets his new table saw and bandsaw though. I'd really like him to keep all 8 fingers! On the other hand, once he get's the hang of it we can have some real fun!

Loosing fingers seems to run in the family :(

It's about a 50/50 "split" between sharp knives and power tools though, so up until now I've avoided both.

Loosing fingers seems to run in the family :(

It's about a 50/50 "split" between sharp knives and power tools though, so up until now I've avoided both.

I have four relatives with missing digits, all on the maternal side. Two from carpentry, one from Viet Nam and one from industrial machinery. They check my hands every time we see each other.

Sally. I will probably be picking up a band saw on the way home tomorrow. :)

You Sir are on a roll! :) Who's Sally?

Eight of the GIK 244 panels to attempt to tame the massive echo I have in the speaker room

gik_244_sm.jpg

Nice. I've been using 2-3 of the 242s, along with a pair of tri-traps and a quad of Auralex panels for the back. The off-white canvas blends in reasonably well with my front wall. Add in plenty of normal "living" stuff and it's a pretty decent acoustic environment without looking too odd (I setup 2ch in the living area). The panels are very very effective absorbers. Just don't go overboard with the pure absorption - lots of "stuff" is great for bringing diffusion into the mix!

do you take visitors?...i've always wanted a 588...i've put the thought of ever owning an 808.2i far out of mind...congrats...

on my end, i just ordered an oppo bdp-80 for my dad...this means i can finally have my bdp-83 back for use with my kuro:)...

Hearing a Meridian 588 a a head-fi meet (2003-ish?) was my first "OMG" moment with a source. Very memorable. It was setup with a maxed DIY PPA, an HD650/Zu, and the entry-level HGA silver ICs. It sounded like pure glorious music to me at that time - nothing else I'd heard had come close. I was using a Jolida JD100a and RKV Mk II with my HD650 back then. The PPA/588 setup was both far more resolving, and far SMOOTHER at the same time.

Unfortunately that experience somehow motivated me to go for a G08/HR-2 setup. I absolutely should've gone for the PPA - much smoother. The G08, while very very nice sounding, just didn't blow me away like the 588 had. Not sure if that was all the amp's fault - wish I could have had a 588 in-home for comparison. That, and the high price of the G08 time...I just never felt confident that $3.4K for the G08 was fully justified. $1.8K used for the glorious sound of that 588 however, would have been great. I never had that "OMG" experience with a source again until I got into vinyl.

Funny story - apparently Ray Samuels ordered his G08 from TTVJ at the same time, in black (my order was silver), and Todd mixed them up so I ended up with Ray's intended black G08. When it arrived, I liked the look of the black, so I just kept it.

Awesome. Custom geometry or standard? One of the guys I ride with has a Pegoretti and loves it.

I'm going to byu a Kelly Bedford custom myself but probably not until the fall.

My new bikes (Training and TT) arrive today and I'm a bit excited.... Especially for the carbon tubulars that come on the trainer bike.

Stock with 'Native' paint. Pretty rare actually. Slightly used but this way I avoid the ~2 year wait. I'll have it built up next weekend :)

Stock with 'Native' paint. Pretty rare actually. Slightly used but this way I avoid the ~2 year wait. I'll have it built up next weekend :)

So question for you bike geeks... Where do you learn about all these boutique (seemingly?) bike manufacturers?

planet earth on blu-ray...the david attenborough (not sigourney weaver) narrated one...i guess oprah's doing the new “life” series...npr says she botched it...

it's dipped below $30 shipped on amazon uk & is region free:)...

the 101fd delivery's tomorrow...

So question for you bike geeks... Where do you learn about all these boutique (seemingly?) bike manufacturers?

Go to bike shows, group rides, or bike forums. I spent a few fun hours here: NAHBS 2010

Pegoretti is sort of a "god" of hand built stuff along with Ellis who is a new younger god of hand built stuff. I will not buy either of them because I'm not willing to have more than 3 months lead time on a bike and to pay the premium but everyone I know with a Pegoretti is very happy.

Go to bike shows, group rides, or bike forums. I spent a few fun hours here: NAHBS 2010

Pegoretti is sort of a "god" of hand built stuff along with Ellis who is a new younger god of hand built stuff. I will not buy either of them because I'm not willing to have more than 3 months lead time on a bike and to pay the premium but everyone I know with a Pegoretti is very happy.

Interesting. So what makes a handmade bike "better" than say a bike from Felt (I only remember them because i think they sponsored some Tour de France team)? Attention to detail (probably a given), but is it lighter, faster, stronger? I ask because I'm assuming you pay a premium over a commercialized product.