Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Interesting. So what makes a handmade bike "better" than say a bike from Felt (I only remember them because i think they sponsored some Tour de France team)? Attention to detail (probably a given), but is it lighter, faster, stronger? I ask because I'm assuming you pay a premium over a commercialized product.

From my understanding at this point it's mostly cachet than anything else if you have more normal body proportions. For people with especially long torsos or legs or whatever then custom geometry is very useful. For example I could justfy a custom bike to let me run longer crank arms because my current crank arms while as long as the manufacturer can make aren't really long enough to cause my knee to flex enough. If I bought much longer ones there are chances of having them touch in corners. Therefore if I wanted longer ones I'd need a custom geometry, I've decided to skip it though since for a race bike it has to be easily replaceable at the drop of a hat.

That said I want one because no one else will have one just like mine. I'll be buying one of these sometime this year: Custom fitted lightweight steel bicycle frames handbuilt by Kelly Bedford | kbcustoms

I've talked to the builder and he will make it stiff and strong with custom geometry for less than I pay for my carbon fiber race frame but in the end it will still be a training bike because I want carbon for racing.

From my understanding at this point it's mostly cachet than anything else if you have more normal body proportions. For people with especially long torsos or legs or whatever then custom geometry is very useful. For example I could justfy a custom bike to let me run longer crank arms because my current crank arms while as long as the manufacturer can make aren't really long enough to cause my knee to flex enough. If I bought much longer ones there are chances of having them touch in corners. Therefore if I wanted longer ones I'd need a custom geometry, I've decided to skip it though since for a race bike it has to be easily replaceable at the drop of a hat.

That said I want one because no one else will have one just like mine. I'll be buying one of these sometime this year: Custom fitted lightweight steel bicycle frames handbuilt by Kelly Bedford | kbcustoms

I've talked to the builder and he will make it stiff and strong with custom geometry for less than I pay for my carbon fiber race frame but in the end it will still be a training bike because I want carbon for racing.

I remember when I was crazy enough to nearly buy a Litespeed hard tail frame (mountain). Now audio gear and music bleeds me :(

2010 NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Championship hat

2010 Team USA Vancouver Olympics Tshirt

2008 Team USA Beijing Olympics Fleece Vest

1980 USA Olympics Replica jersey

2010 CanAm Hockey Challenge Cup fleece hat