Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Nine cds, including pre-order for the new Los Lobos, and one book of essays by Flannery O'Connor, since I've been reading her short stories again lately. These will be my last non-necessity purchases for awhile. Starting tomorrow, I'm on a new plan, officially titled Enjoy What You Already Have, You Gluttonous Fool. Yup, I've been cleaning out my house, and I'm totally blown away by how much great stuff I have that I don't even remember having. What's worse, as far as cds go, I have many I don't even remember buying, have some I never even opened, have multiple copies of a few, some unopened, and same with some books. Egad. In the past month, I've probably bought 40 cds, a few books, a couple guns, an ipad, clothing.......and I'm not even taking the time to enjoy them without moving on to the next thing. If it weren't for the fact I'm liking finding all this good stuff, I'd be completely appalled.

Does anyone remember when you were a kid and you bought an album or two and played them multiple times a day for months before getting another one? I'm going to get back to that at least somewhat, and take a three month break from toy purchases. To be realistic, I'm giving myself a one cd a week allowance, and can buy a book only after I've finished reading the last one bought. That seems about right to me.

I'm still stuck on that mode. Pink martini is my most recent obsession (150+ plays this week), Nickel Creek was before that and so on. When I'm in a "mood" for a certain artist/band, I usually can't get over that mood for a while.

I'm the same, except rather than buying a cd or two of an artist or mood and taking my time with it, I'll start in one place and then obsessively find more by that artist or by artists they worked with or were influenced by or sound similar to, and on and on, and then buy twenty I don't get around to listening to.

A squeezebox Touch for $210 (Thanks Ric) and today's alcohol run from Champaign:

070c5a0c.jpg

Nogne O Sunturnbrew, Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale, Sierra Nevada Charlie, Fred and Ken's Imperial Helles Bock, Two Bros. And Urethal Moaten Oak-aged Sour Flemish Style Red Ale, Mikeller Not Just Another Wit, Two Bros. Bare Tree Barleywine Style Weiss Beer, Sierra Nevada Fritz and Ken's Ale Stout, The Lost Abbey Angel's Share Ale, North Coast Old Rasputin 12th Anniversary

7cc9b910.jpg

Brewdog Storm, Two Bros. Domaine DuPage, Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye

I have found the Mecca, and it's in Columbia MD: The Perfect Pour (note to Grawk -- if you ever come down via 95, it's right off the 175 exit): Brewdog Storm, Weyerbacher Tiny (yes, more), Haandbryggeriet Norse Porter, De Dolle Extra Export Stout (yes, more, I'm going to have to start dating them, so that I know when "6 mos. later" is), Brewdog Dogma, Mikkeller 黑/Black imperial stout, Beer Here Morke Pumpernickel porter, Les Trois Mousquetarres Doppelbock, Fantome Chocolate, and Goose Island Bourbon County stout.

They also had some of the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary stouts, but since I was stocked up, I didn't get any. And plenty of Weyerbacher Heresy. And more of the Night Stalker. Plus, it's in the same state, and it's the closest good craft brew store I've found.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I have found the Mecca, and it's in Columbia MD: The Perfect Pour (note to Grawk -- if you ever come down via 95, it's right off the 175 exit): Brewdog Storm, Weyerbacher Tiny (yes, more), Haandbryggeriet Norse Porter, De Dolle Extra Export Stout (yes, more, I'm going to have to start dating them, so that I know when "6 mos. later" is), Brewdog Dogma, Mikkeller 黑/Black imperial stout, Beer Here Morke Pumpernickel porter, Les Trois Mousquetarres Doppelbock, Fantome Chocolate, and Goose Island Bourbon County stout.

They also had some of the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary stouts, but since I was stocked up, I didn't get any. And plenty of Weyerbacher Heresy. And more of the Night Stalker. Plus, it's in the same state, and it's the closest good craft brew store I've found.

Noted :)

Les Trois Mousquetarres Doppelbock.

Nice, beer I know for once! Les Trois Mousquetaires is close from where my parents live and they make beers that range from very decent to excellent, I'll be curious to read what you think of the doppelbock. If you have the chance to taste beers from 'Dieu du Ciel' or 'Simple Malt' (formerly Bieropholie), those are the two best microbreweries IMO that we have in Quebec.

Nice, beer I know for once! Les Trois Mousquetaires is close from where my parents live and they make beers that range from very decent to excellent, I'll be curious to read what you think of the doppelbock. If you have the chance to taste beers from 'Dieu du Ciel' or 'Simple Malt' (formerly Bieropholie), those are the two best microbreweries IMO that we have in Quebec.
I actually have a bottle of Rigor Mortis chillin' in the fridge -- love their packaging, very gothic, but didn't really find a beer I wanted to try before this one. I also have the Simple Malt Imp

My beer-fu continues to get better, considering where I started from. Thanks in no small part to a large portion of advice here.

One more word of advice that I have been biting my tongue about: open a bottle and finish it because your habit of sampling and recapping is not ideal. As you have noted a couple of times, the beer will change when oxidized and left to sit in the fridge. Not trying to bum your high, and you can do as you please, so take it for what it's worth.

Noted. And not really new information. (So please don't feel the need to bite your tongue in the future.)

I can do that with the small bottles -- and do -- but the larger bottles take 2 or 3 glasses to finish. I do try and and minimize the time from open to finish, unless it's one that's really difficult to drink for whatever reason (Tokio* [high alcohol content], Peculiar Yule [just...peculiar], Night Stalker [off-ish], etc.), but I...uh...I've already developed a taste for flatter beer. :\ The Night Stalker is actually the first one that's actually been too flat even for my tastes.

picked up a Samsung 46" 630 model LCD TV Sunday at Best Buy and so far I am impressed. My only quibble is mos stuff I watch now has this HD camcorder effect that was initially strange but I am adjusting to it. My last TV was a 2007 viewsonic 37 " that mediocre at best.

Any suggestions on how to dial in the picture, looks good now but I think there may be some tweaking that I could do.

Any suggestions on how to dial in the picture, looks good now but I think there may be some tweaking that I could do.

I used to use Avia's calibration disc, which does help- but HCFR works much better. AVS forums has plenty of info on it. I have a Sammy A630 dialed in very tightly with HCFR.

Also, AVS has a number of threads showing "average" setting of those who have calibrated, which would probably get you a lot closer than out of the box, without going through calibration. Very nice screen for the price, you have to spend a lot more to do better IMO.