Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

The optical and coax S/PDIF out work out the box. The USB out , well , if your're happy reconfiguring linux using ssh , then follow the instructions at the start of this 20+ page thread and let us know how you get on. (Assuming of course you've done a double bind test, before hand , to see if its worth it to you :) )

EDIT: The same instructions are presented in a step by step (with screenshots) here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/news-blog-and-showcase/john-darkos-blog/item/150-how-to-enable-usb-audio-output-on-the-squeezebox-touch

Edited by Grahame

The optical and coax S/PDIF out work out the box. The USB out , well , if your're happy reconfiguring linux using ssh , then follow the instructions at the start of this 20+ page thread and let us know how you get on. (Assuming of course you've done a double bind test, before hand , to see if its worth it to you :) )

EDIT: The same instructions are presented in a step by step (with screenshots) here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/news-blog-and-showcase/john-darkos-blog/item/150-how-to-enable-usb-audio-output-on-the-squeezebox-touch

Yeah, probably not worth it. I was thinking it might be nice for a bedside rig to feed a USB DAC.

Congrats on the iPad2!

Congrats on the Emotiva preamp! Your system has evolved quite a bit over the last year!

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Nate, the Transformer did not work out for you? I think I am with Reks here, I will wait for the ipad3. Hopefully it will get the rumored retina display and LTE.

The Trandformer was a great piece of hardware let down by an incomplete OS and early adoption. In 6 to 12 mo I expect the tide to have shifted to where we're at with smart phones.

@Nate... I think you made the right call, for now. I don't necessarily think it will be as soon as 6, or maybe even 12 months, before Android does what it's done with smartphones. I think Honeycomb was rushed out. I've not necessarily been a fan of it, sadly. I still find my first gen iPad more usable than the dual core Tegra2 tablet I've spent time with.

Matias Duarte was brought on by Google shortly before 3.0 was launched. Duarte was the guy who was behind Palm's WebOS design, and most people find that to be very intuitive, and very good. He didn't have much time to work with 3.0, but he's leading up the Ice Cream Sandwich team. ICS will bring smartphone and tablet UIs together, which will be needed before widespread adoption, IMO.

I don't think Android tablets will catch up with the iPad for a while until they change quite a few things. Distribution, for one. If they are charging the same price as the iPad, but on a two year contract, it's a mistake. The contract has to go.

Enjoy your new toy.

**BRENT**

I disagree. I see market share as being more valuable to everyone in this except for Apple.

Google:

Google doesn't make money from Android. Google doesn't sell phones, for the most part. It's not in the business of selling phones. It's in the business of advertising, and the fruits thereof. It is in the business of people using search. There are 500,000+ activations daily at this point. 500,000+ devices using Google services daily. Google is is making plenty of money.

Samsung, HTC, Motorola:

These guys make money from selling hardware. They want to people to pick theirs over the other guy, so they make skins on top of Android to differentiate. These are the guys who are causing fragmentation. They are also making a ton of money. The Droid and subsequent phones saved Motorola from what was looking to be an inevitable demise.

Carriers:

Ask them if market share doesn't matter. Especially T-Mobile and Sprint. They don't have the iPhone at this point, they have Android. Guess what? They, too, make a ton of money off of Android. Know why? Smartphones have blown up in the past couple of years. More and more people are buying them and using them. EACH of these customers is spending $15, $20, $30 or more per month.

Verizon and AT&T have both Android and iPhone options. These companies are making a ton of money off each customer, no matter which phone they go with. AT&T probably could have made MORE money had they not seemingly been putting Android on the backburner to trumpet the iPhone, but they still made money.

Head-Case:

This isn't a headphone forum anymore, this is a place for friends to hang out and talk about whatever, headphones included. And for people to be run off. And for people to do their best krmathis impersonation. I believe the place you're thinking about is "Head-Fi."

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

a somewhat smarter one than market share, when you're talking about platform success.
"Platform success"? Or marketing, sales, business management, capitalism success? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I don't think it's an indication of platform success. Market share -- numbers of phones -- and the ability to retain market share (I'd like to see that number) would both be better indicators of platform success.

Now, I'm not either saying that Apple is a bad product -- I don't feel the need to badmouth the competition, like you do, Mr. Trash Talker. It's a good product. It's a very very good product. But it's also an expensive product. Let's not mince words. The have a very large overhead. I'm not going to compare them to Bose, because Bose is over-priced mediocre shit, whereas Apple is highly-priced good shit, but it's a similar strategy.

cheap typically doesn't go hand and hand with good. if it did, this forum would be about those really cheap headphones you can buy at Walgreens.
And the converse of this, as you should know, is that expensive isn't necessarily better. Vetted better is better. Now, Apple is, indeed, vetted good. But better? Sorry, vetting still going on.

Nothing you argue is talking to the power/price ratio, which I think Android wins handily. Even if you could legitimately say that Apple was better -- which you can't, repeating yourself doesn't count, it's Goebbel's Law of Propaganda, "if you repeat something enough times, it becomes true" -- it's not four times better, but it's four times more expensive.

Is it the Platform/os/app needing to be developed to be compatible with the desired thing(netflix here), or the other way around?

There will always be something that one phone cant do, that the other one can. Yea, i got netflix, but i cant run grooveshark yet(iphone here)

Edited by digger945

tell that to anybody who wants to run the Netflix app on their Android phone and can't, because they don't have one of the magic 6 devices ......

...... i'm sure that the compatible list for Netflix (i keep using it as an example because it's a good high profile one) will grow

Sure, but I really don't think that Netflix is a good example. It is a relatively new and high profile app that they are taking a cautious approach on. Better that they tread carefully than bork it. I have a Nexus S, so compatibility has never been a problem for me, but the vast majority of android apps do very well across the wide spread of devices.

In any case, from a pure usability perspective, I tried the iPhone 4 and the Nexus S crapped all over it for my usage.

Notifications were terrible, changing certain frequently-used options laborious, and I looooooove Android Widgets.

Now I believe that some of these will be fixed in iOS5, but that wasn't on the horizon when I bought my phone.

[EDIT] Oh, and i should mention that in Canada, the iPhone is FAR more expensive.

Edited by Beefy