Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

7813096_orig.jpg?205

Ooh you are in a world of hurt now. I got into indoor rowing in a big way a few years ago and even went to the CRASH-Bs in 2009. There's nothing quite like throwing up into your waste basket after a 2K sprint test! (On consideration, this may seem quite normal for CrossFit folks.)

I reserve my puking for the Airdyne bike.

schwinn_airdyne_bike.jpg

I use and like the Concept 2 Rower a lot at Crossfit. I don't put enough time into it there to get good, but I'm good enough to want to see if I can get good, plus it can't hurt to take off the extra pounds I'm losing more slowly than I'd like. I'm excited to get it.

There's nothing quite like throwing up into your waste basket after a 2K sprint test!

That sounds pleasant. smile.png

I plan on getting back into mine starting tomorrow after taking an extended break due to lack of willingness to get up at 5.00am every morning. Hopefully, it won't aggravate my wrist any further.

Heh, my work bag is a Timbuk2 as well. They make nice bags. smile.png

Bought recently:

- B+W 77mm Kaesemann MRC slim CPL

- Op-Tech large lens/filter pouch

- ThinkTank Speed Freak V2 bag

Nice! I almost bought that though I ended up going with Digital Holster/Mod components route.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I have the Springbank 10 and like it a lot. The 15 sounds a little softer/smoother from the sherry casks but i don't think I have tasted it.

Glad you got the Torino and Jerry Thomas bitters! Yay! I need to try the Griottines. My Luxardo cherries are like sludge and crystallized and I don't get it.

I couldn't decide which Springbank to buy. sad.png I almost picked up the 15yr. Do you have a favorite?

Dangerous question to ask me evil.gif

The 15y is a good beverage... I really like the newer 18yo right now. I don't like to give advise (spending your money) without bases (i.e. what your looking for). But with a list of bottles and prices, I can give a recommendation (have had most of the standard bottlings)

Mikey, what about the Springer 12 cask series, such as the Claret and the other 5 or so. Any experience with those?

I am not sure what series you are talking about... but I have had a few 12yo springers in various cases:

• Springbank 12yo 1995 (56.1%, Original Bottling, Cream, /592, cask 96/274, d:6.95, b:4.07)
  • Springbank 12yo 1995 (55.3%, Original Bottling, Amantillado, d:6.95, b:4.09, cask 96/255, /577)
  • Springbank 12yo 1996 (56.3%, Original Bottling, Fino, butt 96/262)

They were all good. But not better than a standard 15yo at about the same price. They are interesting enough to try if you have a good price. Cask strength helps, and they will give more of a cask influence.

There is a new 1996 14yo series out right now (was not sure if you meant these).

Cheers,

Let me know what you think about this one Scott. I thought it sounded pretty terrible at first but an acquaintance of mine who's the beer guy at my local store assured me it was excellent. I guess I don't really like tea to begin with so it's probably doomed in my book.

The Stone Imperial Black was great, but extreme. I couldn't enjoy more then a small glass, it coated the mouth and lingered. Strong tasting stuff. The green tea IPA was just like a good IPA, the green tea was only really noticeable in the aftertaste. I enjoyed it, I think they did a good job not letting the tea overpower the beer.

I've got a second bottle of each that I will open at a later date for a second impression.

Dangerous question to ask me evil.gif

The 15y is a good beverage... I really like the newer 18yo right now. I don't like to give advise (spending your money) without bases (i.e. what your looking for). But with a list of bottles and prices, I can give a recommendation (have had most of the standard bottlings)

I am not sure what series you are talking about... but I have had a few 12yo springers in various cases:

• Springbank 12yo 1995 (56.1%, Original Bottling, Cream, /592, cask 96/274, d:6.95, b:4.07)
  • Springbank 12yo 1995 (55.3%, Original Bottling, Amantillado, d:6.95, b:4.09, cask 96/255, /577)
  • Springbank 12yo 1996 (56.3%, Original Bottling, Fino, butt 96/262)

They were all good. But not better than a standard 15yo at about the same price. They are interesting enough to try if you have a good price. Cask strength helps, and they will give more of a cask influence.

There is a new 1996 14yo series out right now (was not sure if you meant these).

Cheers,

So it seems like 15yr > 12yr series. Here are the bottles I have locally and their prices. This is the list the price and the discount that will be taken off. Not sure if any of these prices are particularly good but since we cannot get stuff shipped to TX, this is what I have to work. So the 15 is a little under $90, the 14 series a few dollars under the 15, 12 series a little under $80 (except for the 12yr Olorosso which seems to be around $66). I would be ok with anything except the 18yr which is more than I want to spend.

OKh9b.jpg

Out of the list I would run right to the 12yo Cask Strength.

As far as the new 14yo 1996's - I received the following from my plowed friends "None of the new finished 14 yos are worthy given their price point IMO." Does not really mean that they are not a worthy dram - just not right for the price point. Some of the cask finished ones can turn very nice, but I have found that they need to be open for a while (oxidation) up to a year or two in some cases, before they are really are integrated on the palate. (why I have a lot of open bottles I guess)

Price on the 15 is not too bad with discount. But it tastes a lot better at about $75. icon_thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Edited by mikeymad

killed one not too long ago:

Springer 10/100:

0609011946.jpg

It is a good beverage - but was a little 'thin?' Did not have the depth of flavor that I have come to expect from a well made springer. I would not turn anyone off from buying it if the price is right, not a bad beverage at all. (Also I think that I have been spoiled by some Killer Springbanks). That is why the Q "Do you have a favorite?" is tough... because Yes I do...

The Springbank 30yo stubby bottle red label... (as it is known)... One of my top five beverages of all time (out of a lot of beverages) - was a sad day when this was finished:

Raw_Image_20081021_034-1.jpgRaw_Image_20081021_035-1.jpg

Springbank is a top distillery without a doubt. And I have never had anything Bad from them (tried over 120 expressions). Just comes down to cherry picking the exceptional ones, and getting the others at a good price.

Note: things to look out for... It may not be known that Springbank produces other brands as well: Longrow (a peated Springbank), Hazelburn (triple distilled Springbank (current 12yo is yummy)), and Kilkerran (revitalized name from Glengyle Distillery). No hesitation on getting any of these as well.

Cheers,

Mikey