Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Dew eet Chris, you already have a car!!! seesaw.gif

I think I may next year but I've switched to the Prism Orpheus. The manufacturer has come out and said that the Orpheus is their best technically performing DAC which is funny since it's also their cheapest and has 8 in and 8 out.... Digital Preamplifier anyone? If I sell what it's replacing I may be able to convince my wife.

how many jacks does the AEX have?

I think it looks like this one:

B000MP831G-ports.jpg

Short answer Yes: the Switch allows multiple devices to share the Ethernet network at up to Gigabit speeds ( speed depends on network network card / port on device, speeds can be mixed)

Longer conditional answer. Yes, If the AEx is acting as the router / DHCP server , then each new device will be allocated an IP address and routing information from the AEx , the switch acting as a port multiplier for the Aex ( you can plug more things into it)

If the Aex is acting as a wireless bridge, to a router located elsewhere, Yes, mostly (The Aex acting as a virtual Ethernet cable to a wireless router) Speed is then limited by the speed of the wireless connection. (more info here)

Note: Audio Data rates are quite low, depending on source.

Thanks G-Man. The setup will be:

New U-Verse modem (and maybe router if your link is still accurate) > AEx > ethernet connection to the gigabit switch > components.

Is it likely that whichever is chose will be faster/more stable than the wireless option?

Al, I'm doing exactly what you're doing except for the AEX (my U-verse thingy is a wifi router/modem), and it works great. The wired ethernet connection is way more stable (and this is using a network-expander-via-the-house-electrical-wiring device), mainly because the components are so far away (two floors away and on the other side of the house) from the wifi transmitter, and the weak wifi signal was always a problem.

I have a Airport Extreme, SBTouch and a few other things plugged into a Uverse modem (now post-Uverse use). The Airport Extreme is used for wireless to extend through Airport Expresses. Otherwise the Uverse wireless would have worked. You'll likely safe either way Al.

Yep I would set it up as Reksy suggested. My modem also has wireless but the AEX wireless was much better so I turned the wireless off on the modem.

The airport will most likely be a much better router than the one built into the modem.

Yep, I would prefer to do it that way if I can shut off their wireless and just route from AEx. Another question. Do I want/need the most recent AEx in order to have two networks (e.g., internet and music) or will the fact that the important music access should now be over CAT6?

The Springbank CV can best be described as "confusing". Still, worth the cash for me though.

Agreed and agreed....

I think that it is suppose to be confusing... being a mix of old springbank and young springbank... I found that it gave more of an interesting mouth feel of an aged whisky with some of the young harsher notes. When they first made the Springer CV years ago I think that it had a higher % of older casks was nice stuff.

Cheers

Yep, I would prefer to do it that way if I can shut off their wireless and just route from AEx. Another question. Do I want/need the most recent AEx in order to have two networks (e.g., internet and music) or will the fact that the important music access should now be over CAT6?

You shouldn't need 2 networks with your servers on Ethernet.

Las Vegas Distillery - http://www.lasvegasdistillery.com/ is the first legal distillery in Nevada... my Plowed group went for a visit in January before they started any distillation

v2z2B.jpg

Their First product (so they could start selling right away) was a vodka. They are working on several grain whiskies (including a 7 grain whisky) and a rum right now. Our group is hoping to work on a whisky and barrel it in January (a rye or single malt).

They are a great group of people doing things right. Trying to be all local as they can.

Only available in Vegas right now I think.. my friend picked up a bottle of the first batch for me (at Lee's) when he was over there last month.

cheers,