allo stepped volume

ktm

Haven't come across these guys. Seems to come from India. Nothing the matter with that. After all they have particle accelerators and an active space programme.

The thing that determines the quality of a stepped attenuator is the resistors. For surface mount they ought to be thin film, which are quite pricey - typically 25c each in 1000 off. There are 96 resistors in that attenuator, so $25 for the resistors in 1000 off quantity.

Now they say they use thin film resistors and quote the resistor spec. But the price is ridiculously low.

These guys are the place to go for switched attenuators https://khozmo.com/index.html . Note that they specifically use Vishay thin film resistors. This https://khozmo.com/ladder_khozmo_attenuator.html is the equivalent of the allo one and is $259 - so ten times the price.

I'd say of allo - too good to be true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Haven't come across these guys. Seems to come from India. Nothing the matter with that. After all they have particle accelerators and an active space programme.

The thing that determines the quality of a stepped attenuator is the resistors. For surface mount they ought to be thin film, which are quite pricey - typically 25c each in 1000 off. There are 96 resistors in that attenuator, so $25 for the resistors in 1000 off quantity.

Now they say they use thin film resistors and quote the resistor spec. But the price is ridiculously low.

I've seen thin film resistors at lower prices and have used them, but the ppm / c  spec is definitely not on par with more expensive resistors.  This is especially noticeable in current sources.

I do agree that overall the price seems too low given the resistors and possible contact issues.

That being said, I do have a streamer from them that I've been happy with.