Adding subwoofer for stereo playback

morphsci

42 minutes ago, recstar24 said:

What REL are you using? Small room for stereo playback is what could work in my setup 

I am using the REL T/7i, which is in the middle range of their T series. It is a nice small sub that produces very controlled bass. It also integrates very well with the Moths using the high level REL input. IMO REL is the top of the heap with the technology of their subs for integration into stereo audio systems.

1 hour ago, luvdunhill said:

I dunno - the REL aren’t reassuringly expensive and the SVS aren’t the most aesthetically pleasing.

So, REL HT or the ones with the confusing slashes in their names?

That being said, I would not use it in an HT setup as it does not have enough "punchiness" for that. That is probably why REL makes separate lines for HT use.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 9:57 PM, morphsci said:

I am using the REL T/7i, which is in the middle range of their T series. It is a nice small sub that produces very controlled bass. It also integrates very well with the Moths using the high level REL input. IMO REL is the top of the heap with the technology of their subs for integration into stereo audio systems.

That being said, I would not use it in an HT setup as it does not have enough "punchiness" for that. That is probably why REL makes separate lines for HT use.

Speaking of which, how do you have yours connected? I believe Rel supplies some kind of speakon cable with spades to attach to the amps speaker outputs?

2 hours ago, recstar24 said:

Speaking of which, how do you have yours connected? I believe Rel supplies some kind of speakon cable with spades to attach to the amps speaker outputs?

Yes, that is how I have it connected. That is their high-level input. It connects to the Parasound power amp speaker outputs so the the Moths and the REL see exactly the same acoustic signal. Seems to work as the integration sounds good and the set-up was quick and easy.

31 minutes ago, morphsci said:

Yes, that is how I have it connected. That is their high-level input. It connects to the Parasound power amp speaker outputs so the the Moths and the REL see exactly the same acoustic signal. Seems to work as the integration sounds good and the set-up was quick and easy.

Cool. Yeah I’ve been talking with Bryan and he basically recommends the same concept. Final ? - I’m assuming that since you’re running basically two parallel sets of cables from your power amp binding loads. you’re using a combo of bananas and spades? So like bananas to your moths, and the spades/speakon to the REL sub?

• 4 months later...

So far, I really prefer the Sunfire. I am also dealing with a small hum due to the Rel sub being on a different circuit that the HT (perhaps combined with a very long cable run which I am using Jensen transformers over “ethernet” cable - CI-RJ2R). I am going to try this Air thing out at the main TV (which uses the Sunfire) and if works well might try with the HT.

E82603E5-E407-4965-B2B8-599F34D4E805.jpeg

On 1/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, luvdunhill said:

I dunno - the REL aren’t reassuringly expensive and the SVS aren’t the most aesthetically pleasing.

I realize this is ancient, but what don't you like about the SVS?  I really dig their aesthetic, both small foot print:

Shop SB-1000 Pro

...and "reassuringly expensive":

Get Better Sound

• 4 weeks later...