PPA v2 vs M^3

I know these are both DIY amps and they all have different sounds depending on how theyre built, but I'm looking for a warmish SS amp with a good amount of bass for my 225s that delivers enough current to open the phones up.

I'm trying to spend as little as possible (under $300 but hopefully around $200) and usually DIY beats commercial amps in terms of bang per buck. So which amp should I get?

I feel like I have to put this out there, if you're going to buy a DIY amp that you didn't build yourself be careful who you buy from. Make sure they have at least some established record of building gear (not necessarily for sale) so that you get something that's going to last. Both amps in question are relatively complicated (although the M? is a bit easier) so be sure to know what you're getting before you agree to buy. Last comment, at $200 you're going to have a tough time finding what you're looking for, especially a good M? which is slightly more expensive to build than a PPA.

Feel free to post examples of what you're looking at, between a few of us around here we should be able to offer a fairly complete critique. :)

[edit]Mods/Admin - any idea why the superscript text (the 3) doesn't show up here? It shows up when I type the post but turns into a '?' when I submit the post.

[edit]Mods/Admin - any idea why the superscript text (the 3) doesn't show up here? It shows up when I type the post but turns into a '?' when I submit the post.
I am neither, but I'll answer -- probably because it's not an ASCII character. The database interface probably isn't set to store non-ASCII characters. Just a guess from a nosy bystander.

I am neither, but I'll answer -- probably because it's not an ASCII character. The database interface probably isn't set to store non-ASCII characters. Just a guess from a nosy bystander.

This is truly the worst forum on the internet web. Not setup for non-ascii characters? Puh-leeze! :mikey2:

My new headphone forum is going to be sooooooo cool. And I make a firm & solemn promise that all of the non-ascii characters will be represented in full force.

;)

This is truly the worst forum on the internet web. Not setup for non-ascii characters? Puh-leeze! :mikey2:

My new headphone forum is going to be sooooooo cool. And I make a firm & solemn promise that all of the non-ascii characters will be represented in full force.

;)

Quiet you!!! *pokes your belly*

M^3 is warmer. the Dynahi and Beta22 are even warmer. the CK2III is also a very good amp and very easy to build, but yeah the M^3 is warmer. i prefer the CK2III personally.

all the FET-output amps i've heard are quite warm, while the BJT-output amps can go either way.

I haven't heard the M3 yet, but I've heard the PPA, warmish and PPA go together like Richard Simmons and a homophobe. Which is to say the PPA is on the cool and somewhat dry and analytical side. I didn't like it with my Grado 225's, it's more for Senn 650's.

Thanks guys for the responses. The wierd thing is that on HF (when I did a search) of the people are saying that the M^3 is colder then the PPA. hmmmm.

I feel like I have to put this out there, if you're going to buy a DIY amp that you didn't build yourself be careful who you buy from. Make sure they have at least some established record of building gear (not necessarily for sale) so that you get something that's going to last. Both amps in question are relatively complicated (although the M? is a bit easier) so be sure to know what you're getting before you agree to buy. Last comment, at $200 you're going to have a tough time finding what you're looking for, especially a good M? which is slightly more expensive to build than a PPA.

Feel free to post examples of what you're looking at, between a few of us around here we should be able to offer a fairly complete critique. :)

I'm not sure of who I want to build this amp. I was thinking of Marshall (MisterX) but he charges a little more then others. Do you have any suggestions about who builds amps well? I would do it myself but I can barely build a pimeta correctly. :(

Also maybe more info about my rig will help?

iriver ihp140 -> entech number cruncher -> (AMP HERE) -> 225s

My vote is neither with the SR225s.

I prefer the CK2III with the Grados just because the bass hits so much harder. ;)

The catch here is the default output transistors are not exactly the best match for the SR225s (they are on the bright side and that is the last thing those cans need IMO)

Hmm, now the CKKIII looks really good. Its definitely cheaper then the other amps listed and if it performs near their level, then it should be a good buy. I'm still wondering how warm it is. Some of the threads on HF say that the CKKIII is pretty analytical. If anyone has impressions on how good the bass and how warm the CKKIII amp is I would appreciate it.