Windows 10, v2004 update

So I checked Windows Update out of curiosity yesterday (actually looking for an Edge browser update) and noticed that the 2004 update has been around since May and Microsoft has been delaying the rollout.

Then I looked for 2004 update problems and got a long list... what do you guys think about the latest major update? I'm inclined to delay this for as long as possible on my personal computer. Microsoft's track record with major updates has been truly terrible in the last few years, going from bricked computers to lost data. I'm afraid to estimate how many millions of dollars of productivity and data have been lost from these problems in enterprise and home computing.

I am on rev 1909 and I’ve been happy with it. You’re right to be concerned about Microsoft upgrades lately.

I’m using the beta version of Edge which is a chromium-based browser. I’ve been very happy with this browser. It works for all sites that I’ve used it for.

I’m also happy that Google isn’t stealing my data. 

• Like 2

With 2004 I was having a lot of problems with the display driver crashing when I clicked the start menu (screen goes black for a couple seconds), and occasional random full system crashes when playing games. I couldn't nail down a solution to it besides reverting to 1909.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My PC has been randomly waking from sleep since last summer. It's usually plugged into a power outlet, so it's not a huge deal, but it's disturbing that the problem hasn't been fixed in almost a year.

Microsoft has also released Edge as a macOS browser. I've been using it since last week and it's been pretty decent. I upgraded to Chromium Edge on Windows a few months ago but I don't use it very often.

Yesterday, I logged into my Boot Camp Windows 7 for the first time in a few weeks and noticed that Microsoft was recommending the Edge browser in Windows Update (official support for Win7 ended in January). Better than Internet Explorer 11, I guess.

And they're trying to ram an urgent security update this week to machines via the Microsoft Store, which nobody uses: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/07/unscheduled-fixes-for-critical-windows-flaws-delivered-through-rare-channel/

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

Multiple work / home machines upgraded to 2004 without significant issues. Primarily for WSL2 / Docker integration and the new Windows Terminal.

The one thing I did notice (which is a known issue) was the dissapearance of the icon for the windows settings window in the taskbar. 

https://wccftech.com/and-it-begins-all-the-windows-10-version-2004-known-issues-list/

53 minutes ago, TMoney said:

I know these kinds of posts can be unhelpful, but I forced the 2004 upgrade on day 1 and have had no issues.

FWIW I have pretty high-end pc and I mostly just use the MS office suite, listen to music, and play games.

That's the trouble with these things indeed. I haven't had any noticeable issues with any past win10 updates myself, this is the first one that's given me trouble.

Ironically I only ended up on 2004 because I did a clean install to get away from any old cruft in my system and ideally make everything run even better. Took some doing to get 1909 on a usb stick again since the win10 media creation tool only downloads the latest version. :mikey2:

Microsoft is coming under fire (again) for forcing Edge on people: https://www.theverge.com/21310611/microsoft-edge-browser-forced-update-chromium-editorial

I think the title is linkbait and the tone is overly alarmist. I never used Edge as a primary browser (I doubt many people did), but it makes sense to include one with the operating system. No doubt the old Edge was full of security holes and switching to the Chromium version fixes some of those problems.

I have a bigger problem with Microsoft forcing new Windows 10 users to create a Microsoft account. You can get around it by disconnecting the computer from the internet, but it shouldn't be so difficult to say "no" to a Microsoft account (and Apple are like this with the Apple ID as well).

14 minutes ago, Fitz said:

Bitch, that's a two hour video, and you didn't even link to a relevant timestamp?

Oh, it's worse'n that, I didn't even watch it myself.  🤓

It's Barnacules Nerdgasm.

The title changed -- it used to say something to the effect of "Microsoft Admits Bad Update Passwords Are Weak Facebook Screwing Up Again...".

They do mention Apple's move to ARM in the last 10 minutes... killing off the Hackintosh (mostly).

Intel released details on a hybrid, mobile-oriented, stacked platform (Lakefield) this week with a big Intel x86 CPU and smaller Atom CPU:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15877/intel-hybrid-cpu-lakefield-all-you-need-to-know

Edited by HiWire

I don't think killing the hackintosh is high on Apple's priorities.

Looking at the WWDC videos, it's still obvious that Apple relies heavily on 3rd-party development to keep the ecosystem viable. They have a lot of cash, but they have wisely continued to limit their growth (and product platforms), even after all the acquisitions. That does sometimes make Apple look very slow-moving, as they have fewer partners and markets than Microsoft, for example.

Edited by HiWire