Watches

Dusty Chalk

Anyone know anything about Fossil Watches? Good/bad/indifferent? Relic? I was initially looking for an LCD/analog watch of the likes of this, but ended up falling in love with the looks of this one, due to (a) its almost all-blackness, and (B) the cool use of the wood, and the way the numbers drift outside of the face.

Who knows, maybe I'll get more than one. I'm thinking of getting this one, too (again, due to its almost all-blackness), but I'm worried that the red "throb" might be visually distracting.

Thoughts? Anyone know of any other companies that make that analog watch on an LCD face with the "throb"? I'm a high-tech guy, so I should have a high-tech watch. I'm happy with my Guess watch for every day use, but I want a nice one for meetings and dressing up and such.

I want a nice one for meetings and dressing up and such.

To me, a Fossil screams cheap. It is among the last things I would want to wear for formal/meeting attire. Although I do not have a good suggestion in the way of a digital (again screams cheap to me), how about a Citizen Eco Drive? High tech for you: the face is essentially a solar panel, charging the battery inside.

My preference for watches are reasonably inexensive ($50-200) but well made, such as geneves and invictas. I tend to get automatic watches with no electronics because to me, they're "higher tech" than chips and digital. They're the ultimate puzzles.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is what you looking for, but here's one from Nixon.

http://www.nixonnow.com/watches/mens/the-superhero-ss-A114.html

Yeah, that sort of thing.
My preference for watches are reasonably inexensive ($50-200) but well made, such as geneves and invictas. I tend to get automatic watches with no electronics because to me, they're "higher tech" than chips and digital. They're the ultimate puzzles.
Yeah, that's my price range.

And yeah, one of the Fossils I was looking at was all analog (the wood one), though not because it's higher-tech...it's just more elegant-looking (to me).

I guess when I said "high-tech", I meant "flashy high-tech". My dad used to have a watch that was digital, but emulated an analog hand movement -- now that was cool. And yet it still looked like a normal professional watch. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I'll probably get one of each (the mostly-black goth flashy high-tech one, and the woodface one), but Biggie's comment about his breaking all the time scares me. Does anyone know what sort of quality reputation Fossil has? I'll look at amazon for reviews -- thanks for the heads-up, Biggie.

To me, a Fossil screams cheap. It is among the last things I would want to wear for formal/meeting attire. Although I do not have a good suggestion in the way of a digital (again screams cheap to me), how about a Citizen Eco Drive? High tech for you: the face is essentially a solar panel, charging the battery inside.
I don't know if I agree in general, but yeah, the one with the flaming skull or the one with the eight-ball, or the women's one with the hearts -- they don't strike me as appealing to anyone but bikers and pre-adolescents.

I like the idea of the Citizen Eco-Drive -- I'll definitely look into them.

But I like the idea of the Citizen Eco-Drive as well. I'll definitely look into it.

I rotate two watches for my everday work attire ( for reference, I wear a shirt and tie, dress pants, and sometimes the suit jacket, which is NOT these high humidity days in NYC), I have a Tissot PR50 titanium, and a few years old, gold Eco Drive. I love them both, and they are inexpensive as far as watches go. The Tissot set me back $275, and the Citizen was something like $350 on sale.

Cheap. Mine stuck and hasn't returned yet from warranty repair... it's been 7 months. Fit and finish were sub-par to begin with... the bezel was never straight and the second hand was also off by half a movement.

Their mechanisms are bottom-of-the-bin, no better than any knock-off on the street corner.

Get a real watch.

Yeah, after looking at those Nixons, I can see why you'd perceive the Fossils as "screaming 'cheap'", but I like the understatedness of the woodface one.

I need someone to design me the ultimate black watch -- black chrome hands, no points whatsoever, black embellishments, black blacker blackest...none more black.

look at some Tag's..they have A digi face with hour/min hands..also the Tissot T-touch.
Tag Heuer? Those are nice. A bit out of my league. I'll look at the Tissots, but on first glance, I only found two that were even remotely black, and most were too conservative looking.

Look at this watch again:

JR9339.jpg

See how black it is? Just a hint on the hands and logo, the rest is varying shades of black. That's the direction I want to head.

Some of these Nixons are really nice:

A140-detail-1.jpg

A060-hero.jpg

A260-hero.jpg

Yeah, I know, it's not black...but it's gold and black, which might be a nice compromise if I can't get what I want, in terms of blackness.

I also like some of the distressed leathers in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming, I'm not going to be impatient and buy something right away, I'm going to wait until I see something that I have to have, because for now, I'm happy with my Guess watch. It has to be nicer than the Guess watch. And no, I can't find a picture of it right now.

And yes, I'm looking at everyone's suggestions, I'll look more at the ones I mentioned and the geneves and invictas and...everything...

hublot big bang is a upper line of watches but they made a LE all black..and i mean everything is black..the company said something about it not being a peice for time telling...thats so black shit rite there.

http://www.sybarites.org/2007/06/22/hublot-big-bang-all-black-carat/

this tag has a digi face..

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAG-Heuer-Kirium-F1-Quartz-Digital-Chronograph-CL111A_W0QQitemZ200125544607QQihZ010QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

still something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I rotate two watches for my everday work attire ( for reference, I wear a shirt and tie, dress pants, and sometimes the suit jacket, which is NOT these high humidity days in NYC), I have a Tissot PR50 titanium, and a few years old, gold Eco Drive. I love them both, and they are inexpensive as far as watches go. The Tissot set me back $275, and the Citizen was something like $350 on sale.

I got the same exact Tissot watch. Is your band all scratched up?