Watches

Dusty Chalk

I have a several years old Eco-Drive titanium with a sapphire crystal.

I'm planning on getting a Speedmaster Professional, soon, to take some wear off my GMT.  I found a pre-moon from the person who restored my GMT, and I'm hoping that it doesn't sell before I'm able to put a deposit down.  If so, buying a new one probably isn't so bad, though I don't like the polished segments on the bracelet.

I saw that watch after I bought my 1976 moonwatch.  

It's tricky to decide how much restoration to do without de-valuing the watch.  Mine came with a brushed 1071 bracelet (if I recall), but the new one's with the polished center links can be brushed to look like the bracelet on my Omega Great White GMT.

The restoration would be conservative.  It has some dial and bezel discoloration, as would be expected, but the case and band have minimal damage.  He's really good, I'm sure he can guide me on it.  Ah, having the polished center links brushed is probably a lot cheaper than buying the NOS non-polished bracelets I've seen on eBay!

Hope you're feeling better, Larry.

Thanks. I'm still in a lot of pain, and discovering just how little upper body strength I have to go along with my low oxygen levels, so moving from chair to toilet to bed etc. is quite difficult. They're confident I'll be doing better by the time I'm discharged on the 6th.

You'll probably want to leave the bezel, dial and hands untouched, with minimal polishing of the case, so the sharp lines are not rounded off. Then the usual clean, oil and adjust.

Because my original 1071 bracelet is worth almost $1000, I took it off and installed a leather strap with deployant clasp.

post-905-0-35810500-1419724294_thumb.jpg

I have no experience with that brand, but FUUUUUUCK, if ever there was a watch begging for liquid filling. The way that crystal is domed! OMG.  

I was thinking of liquid filling a G-shock for stoopid-water resistance a while back (because its cool to have a watch that is WR to 1000m) and one thing lead to another and I found the Ressence 3... Liquid filled watches with hands look totally amazing.  

http://ressence.eu/

The Sinn Hydro stuff is pretty cool and a lot cheaper. You probably knew that already though.

Not cheaper than a DIY oil-filled G-shock :P

I filled my F-91W the other night, and am proud to say that it has held up to several passes through my shower, and does not show any bubbles in the face. I don't actually own a G-shock watch... I cant decide if its my style, which I'm pretty sure means its not. 

The ressence 3 seems like it was really built "just for looks" (only 5ATM WR, IIRC) but, still bad ass. I am kind of a sucker for weird face layouts or uncommon movements.

Did you guys saw this?

Triple vertical clutch, very beautiful (to my eyes), and although some simplicity in the mechanism, a fantastic watch for less than two grand.

seiko_zpscf942cf4.png

seiko2_zps43c81bc9.png

Review of the mechanism: http://www.watchtime.com/reviews/clutch-performer-reviewing-seiko-velatura/

And a nice video, Inside a Submariner

So, the early 1969 Speedmaster is mine (well, I have to pay for it, but we have a gentleman's agreement).  We are going to do a conservative restoration.  A new bezel and crystal will be put on, by the old bezel will be retained with the watch.  I should hopefully have it sometime in February.  I can't wait!

Make sure the lume is not flaking off the dial and hands, which could get into the movement.

And get a genuine crystal with the Omega logo engraved in the center.  :P

I'm rejiggering budgets, once again.  Gonna try to get a Datejust.  I had been going to buy 5 good suits, 3 pairs of excellent shoes, and a dress watch.  Maybe 4 good suits and 2 good pairs of shoes and another Rolex will do, instead.  I think that I'll wish the Constellation were a Datejust, every time I put it on.  I'll probably have to put off the 24-70 Nikon lens I wanted, but that can always be rented.

Trip to HK, 3 fittings?  What you thinking for shoes?  Crockett and Jones?  Lobb?

WTF is sports-dress?

Sports-dress is stainless bracelet on beefy-ish, but lowish profile, case, so Rolex Datejust, basically.  Allen Edmonds and Hugo Boss is what I had thought about, originally.  How cheap are suits in HK?  I would want fully bespoke, if I went all the way there...

I paid about $700 for 3 piece with 2 fittings.  Boss is overpriced.  You can do better than Allen Edmonds.  Go English for your shoes.  Crockett and Jones/Trickers/Sargent/Loake/Lobb/Edward Green/Gaziano & Girling.

Edited by cetoole