Watches

Dusty Chalk

Very happy with mine, although I still wear my older one often to prevent wear and tear on the new one.

The 2500D has a 3-level coaxial escapement that is improved over the previous version, and wont get gummed up as easily as the 2500C with 2-level coax.

This makes the 2500 movement closer to the 8500 in-house movement, although the 2500D is still a highly modified ETA 2892 (which in itself is capable of meeting COSC specs and competing with the Rolex 3135 depending on the grade and finish).

-----

A shot of the 42mm Explorer II from my trip to NC last December.

Thanks for the info! I was curious to what grawk was referring to as the watch I posted has the 8400 movement.

Edited by laxx

Thanks for the info! I was curious to what grawk was referring to as the watch I posted has the 8400 movement.

The 8400 is actually like the 8500, but moar antimagnetic (Master Coaxial).  The watches using these newer automatic wind in-house movements are often fatter than the ones using the 2500, even though the 8400 and 8500 are only slightly thicker than the 2500 - it was a design choice by Omega that turned off a lot of people (hockey puck watches).

Do any you guys have suggestions for cheap but decent leather strap?  The strap on my Hamilton Khaki Officer Mechanical has disintegrated again and I don't really want to spend $120-160 on a Hamilton strap again.

Maybe a Hirsch Heavy Calf waterproof leather strap from www.watchobsession.co.uk for about half that much?

My daughter, son, and I went looking for a watch for their mom's Mother's Day gift.  The criteria were Swiss quartz, small size < 30mm, rugged and sporty but also fitting in a dressy situation, and hopefully very water resistant for a trip the the Boy Scout Seabase in the Bahamas this summer.

We found a TAG Aquaracer with mother of pearl dial, and good lume with rotating bezel and 300M WR.  

MSRP was $1,900 but it was on sale for $1,300 - but as a repeat customer I got them down to $1,100.  Then in combination with a Wolf dual watch winder I was able to use $500 in Jared rewards, bringing the watch down to $600.

post-905-0-33927000-1427338001_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-14546300-1427338016_thumb.jpg

Two years ago I gave my wife a Citizen mother of pearl Eco-drive watch, and she made me return it because it was too dressy for every day wear after her job change (went from Children's Hospital Director to doing home Occupational Therapy again). 

I ended up returning it for an inexpensive Bertucci 100M WR SS watch with screw down crown, with several interchangeable nato straps and a pocket full of cash left over.  She actually wore it often, but lost it at the hospital in December right after The Accident.  I could buy 10 bertucci's for the price of this TAG, but we wanted to make this one special and I have the weight of the kids behind me to make her keep it this time.

Larry: my wife had that watch (I think) and its beat to hell. You mentioned in the past you had a local guy that could do some casework? Any idea how much a best-effort polish would cost?

I'm guessing about $40-50 is what I paid, plus a little more for a battery, case-back gasket, and pressure testing - the Tick Tock Shop here in Colo Spgs made the Tag Classic 2000 look almost new, which I gave my brother for his birthday the week before my car crash in December.

PS:  The trick is in knowing what the original finish looked like - he did make me do research about which parts had been brushed and which had been polished originally, or to decide myself how I wanted it to look.  As far as I could tell the whole thing was brushed or matt finish, but on some photos I found a few shiny spots on the bezel ridges.  So I had him just clean up the scratches and not put a shine to it anywhere except for on the raised bezel ridges located at the 5 minute, 15, 25, 35, 45 and 55 minute marks.  

In the new watch we got my wife, it's the shallow areas of the bezel that are polished.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

When is the last time Rolex removed a complication?  The no-date Sub is only available because the Sub has always been available with no date.

Why should history keep them from doing what I want? It always makes things easier.

Not sure why but I just like the no date Subc look better than the date one these days.

Don't see a lot of GMTs out there so it might make a nice everyday rotation watch.

:)

I'm just finding as I go along that I don't really want a date window on my watches. It messes with the symmetry of the dial (egregiously so in the case of a lot of chronographs). The Rolex cyclops of course literally magnifies this effect, however practical it may be in use.

I have never particularly cared for the cyclops and its goofy giant numbers.  That is why I like my Seadweller more than my Sub/GMT II.  I really just want to try the new Ceramic, improved bracelet and blue lume in something, and I am bored.

• Like 1

Never really liked any of the Titanium watches I have owned over the years.  I still might buy a Pelagos but I doubt it would be a daily wear watch, more of a weekend T-shirt kind of watch.

I found this article pretty amazing.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/inside-rolex

My Titanium Citizen and my Titanium Seamaster Pro Chronograph are both kinda dull grey looking, and sometime look a little boring or cheap.  

But my new Titanium Planet Ocean is beautiful and shiny and I've been wearing it almost daily since my birthday.  Sometimes a nice matt grey watch is cool because you don't see them on everybody's wrist everyday, but this is just the right grade of titanium and I love it the most. Maybe the Tudor is as nice as this?

I went to one of our weirdly named watch shops, Lenkersdorfer, to see if I could try on the BLNR.  They of course had none and a long wait list.  They did have the stupidly overpriced white gold Pepsi GMTc.  Take a $10k watch and add a thousandish dollars of precious metals and it becomes a $38k watch?

I really do not like little 40mm watches on my 7" wrist, I think I would not wear one if I got it so I might just move on from the Rolex Ceramics.