Watches

Dusty Chalk

If you're within range of an atomic clock transmitter you can sync to it (with the push of the one button).  It's also quite simple to switch time zones while traveling, which I've actually done once with it already.  

I like it a lot and love it because my wife picked it for me.

If you're within range of an atomic clock transmitter you can sync to it (with the push of the one button). It's also quite simple to switch time zones while traveling, which I've actually done once with it already.

I like it a lot and love it because my wife picked it for me.

Wives are fantastic that way, right? Watches are great too because they are clearly not "a gift for the giver" in disguise. (Though, those can be fun as well :) )

I surprised my wife recently with Jeff's camera and she really has enjoyed using it, part of which is due to the fact I picked it out for her.

Well, Rick at Pieces of Time is taking my 1993 tritium lumed Explorer II 16570 in as partial trade for a 2005 Exp II with Superluminova dial and hands on the newer bracelet (my current bracelet is the same as my 1983 Sub).  

The cost to upgrade the watch is about $400-500 more than sending it to Rolex for a COA + new hands and dial, but I end up with a 10 year old watch instead of a 22 year old watch that's not all original (if I did the service dial and hands it wouldn't be original).

He'll receive my watch tomorrow by noon and then ship the newer watch overnight for Saturday delivery if he's happy with mine (looks minty).

I was wondering if you had been thinking about that watch.

Yep, it was me.  

I really didn't need to do this trade since I have the new 42mm Explorer II as well, with good lume for using at night.  The 40mm version is a little more stealthy and sophisticated looking to me, but the weak lume on my old model was ruining the experience for me.  I had to put the old watch about 4" from my good eye to read the time in a dark room.  

I'd have preferred an M or V or G serial from 2008 or newer with the 3186 movement, but no trades were out there lately.   I'll likely be keeping my pair of Explorer II and my coke GMT II, but in a few years give my Submariner to my son - perhaps for college graduation.

Do what you think is right, Larry, which is to say that asking us for advice on this is probably not worth it.  In my first 39 years I never owned a single watch of the value/cost your son has 5 of already.  Does that make your choice wrong, bad or otherwise?  I have no earthly clue.  I simply had different priorities.

Do what you think is right, Larry, which is to say that asking us for advice on this is probably not worth it.  In my first 39 years I never owned a single watch of the value/cost your son has 5 of already.  Does that make your choice wrong, bad or otherwise?  I have no earthly clue.  I simply had different priorities.

I worry that he's been spoiled just a little, and I'm not sure that a college freshman should be wearing a Rolex, unless he inherited it through my death sooner than later.  He doesn't brag or show off his watches, but just wears them with confidence.

After this it's TLDR

His watch history is convoluted.  He would usually wear cheap Timex digital watches until I gave him his first Citizen perpetual chronograph in 2013 for making the rank of Eagle Scout.  He soon became a watch enthusiast and I started to think that watch wasn't nice enough for his achievement.  Over the next year I allowed him to buy 3 watches on his own, when I should have made him save that money for a car.

I still didn't think the Citizen was "special" enough for his achievement, so I bought him the Seamaster Pro mid-size in 2014, and he gave me a Citizen 300M diver he'd bought in return.  Then he started to think the mid-size was too small, and I wanted him to be "totally in love" with the watch I'd given him.  He was totally enamored by my Submariner and Planet Ocean which I liked too much to give up just yet.

When I found a NIB NOS 6-yr old Planet Ocean with warranty, I got it and traded it for his SMP mid-size and a few of his lesser watches.  So, now he's just got the PO, the original Citizen gift, and two Luminox that he's bought on his own.  I ended up with his SMP mid-size, PVD Dive Master 500, and 300M Citizen diver.

I do want to sell the Seamaster Pro mid to help recoup some of the cost of the Planet Ocean, but I'm keeping his 2 lesser watches which may become gifts back to him or my brother over the next couple of years.  Individually they wont bring a lot of money anyway, while the SMP is worth at least $1600 or more after the recent service last fall.

Hit most of the big names while I was in town, yet bought nothing.

I intended to get the Blancpain FF Chrono at the boutique, but found after wearing it that the combination of reflective/shiny dial and subdials made telling time fairly difficult in any light.  Great looking watch but fairly blingy, even more so than the Ceramic Sub.

Tourneau told me that the Blue Pelagos would be in stock by the end of April.  I have some doubts but the guy is supposed to call as soon as I can buy one.

I tried on the blue, two-register titanium Speedy Coaxial in the mall today. It's a winner and in your size sweet spot at 44 mm, Jeff.

ba0116f947d2d058c2776520b3aba4ff.jpg

To me those almost don't look like a Speedy anymore.  I wonder if it would be better to go with a more rugged Planet Ocean in Blue Ti or do they make the 9300 Speedy thinner and easier to wear than a PO?

post-905-0-48327600-1429288604_thumb.jpg

I went to the Lange event a few months back. It was awesome to be able to see their collection and try everything on. But now it's the only watches on my mind and I'm no where near able to afford one of them. Sometimes I wish I didn't go, but other times it gives me the drive to work harder so that I can afford one one day.

Here's 2 pics I took with my phone (wish I brought my camera).

10806410_10101391159347474_5283549652951

1555280_10101391159387394_35456263019309

Edited by laxx
  • Like 3