Watches

Dusty Chalk

I received my 2005 Rolex Explorer II from Pieces of Time today, and I don't think I'll miss the 1993 model too much.  The lume is great, it's not over-polished or beat up, and in the 7 hours since I put it on it hasn't gained or lost more than a 10th of a second!

My 1993 turned out to be over-polished with some blunting of the sharp lines on the 7-11 o'clock side lugs, which caused a hit in trade-in value on my end.  I took photos before I shipped it, which I compared to the newer watch, and it's true.  But, the old one still looked immaculate to me, until an expert looked at it.  Someone will get a good deal on the old one if it goes for the $3,600 that I expect him to get for it (I had it appraised for $3,900).

My watches that get the most wrist time lately are my Titanium and Stainless Planet Oceans, My Coke GMT II, and my new 216570 Explorer II.  But I think this one is going to get a lot of wrist time as well, now that I can read the time in the light or darkness.

post-905-0-83431200-1429408022_thumb.jpg

I went to the Lange event a few months back. It was awesome to be able to see their collection and try everything on. But now it's the only watches on my mind and I'm no where near able to afford one of them. Sometimes I wish I didn't go, but other times it gives me the drive to work harder so that I can afford one one day.

Here's 2 pics I took with my phone (wish I brought my camera).

10806410_10101391159347474_5283549652951

1555280_10101391159387394_35456263019309

I'd go cuckoo for the perpetual calendar in the 1st photo, but I'd have to sell everything to buy one.  But I'm not sure about the second watch with the off center dials, although I do like this Longines with a "different" layout. 

Longines_Master_Retrograde_front_560.jpg

Jacob, I found this on the RolexForums

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=4924505&postcount=45

Originally Posted by mike viewpost.gif

Here's a bit of a read on the subject,

http://www.oysterinfo.de/en/detailin...asse/index.php

It's sometimes hard to tell if a dial is luminova or superluminova on dial markings alone.

When Rolex made the switch to luminova circa 1998, dials were marked "SWISS". However; as Rolex already had a number of dials from the manufacture with tritium markings (SWISS T<25) these dials were painted with luminova and used.
The luminosity of luminova was said to be less than ideal and Rolex switched to a higher version--superluminova which of course are marked "SWISS MADE".

However: (again LOL!) Replacement dials are superluminova and only bear the marking "SWISS" at the 6 o'clock.

Man is that confusing! LOL!

So, your 1998 GMT dial which gets brighter when hit with light may in fact be luminova, not tritium, even if marked "SWISS T<25" ?

Most of the EII I have found tend to be in pretty good condition as they are almost always an addition to a collection and not a daily wear.

I'll get the appraisal pics of my 1815 posted at some point, Reks. Just need to get in front of my computer at home. I did post some images from the seller, either here or the consumerism thread. The funny thing is I will never wear it as I never wear a suit.

I'd go cuckoo for the perpetual calendar in the 1st photo, but I'd have to sell everything to buy one.  But I'm not sure about the second watch with the off center dials, although I do like this Longines with a "different" layout. 

Longines_Master_Retrograde_front_560.jpg

The 1st pic retails for $84,000 I think. It's something one only dreams about.

I'm a huge fan of the Lange 1 (2nd pic), but when I held it in hand, a lot of the appeal just vanished. I don't think I like the platinum version, looks dull.

I received the Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope today, and I really like it.  I currently have it on a B and R Bands vintage style strap, but I have a dressier and thinner Hirsch vegetable tanned strap on its way.  I bought a Milanese mesh strap from Junghans for the Max Bill, but I decided that I like leather better for it, and I put the mesh on my Speedy.  It's very comfortable (I hadn't quite gotten it adjusted correctly, in the photo, which is why it looks so tight) and the clasp mechanism is very secure.  I might keep it this way for a while, not sure.

S5mY1mOl.jpg

hslOh3ml.jpg

If anybody is interested, the Max Bill came with a brown Stone Creep Straps brown leather strap with deployment buckle which I can't wear due to its length, and if anybody is interested I'd be happy to sell it for a reasonable price.  It's in good condition, some scuffs on the polished buckle is basically the only wear.  

I'm interested in the strap, but don't know the size.

Last December I sent my brother 3 of my watches for his birthday (pearl harbor day) and Christmas.  A TAG Heuer Classic 2000 and Revue Thommen 2-tone Grandville (both from the mid 90's) and my Hamilton Khaki Field Watch from 2013.

He recently ran into some financial trouble of his own doing, so I bought the Hammie back for $250 to help him out without rewarding his poor choices.  Now I feel bad, and think I'll send this back to him this Christmas.  Or should I keep it?

PS: I paid $450 for it the first time, and $250 to get it back, and I did just send him a Victorinox chronograph that he gave me to fix and keep along with the $250 cash.  So, maybe I'll keep this.

post-905-0-84504600-1429758864_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Just finished watching James Cameron's DeepSea Challenge on Netflix.  Seeing that Rolex DeepSea functioning at a depth over 35,000 feet is pretty amazing.  They had it on the articulating arm out in the water and he said 16,000 lbs/sq. in. and the thing was going strong.  Might have to get one of those.

• Like 2

I wouldn't let someone else having something keep me from having it for that reason alone. You already have a solidly respectable collection... I'm sure you'd be fine even skipping the Pelagos and setting aside the money for nachos.

**BRENT**

This.  All of it.  If I had $6k burning a hole in my pocket and already had (only) one nice watch I'm pretty sure I could find something far more productive to spend it on.

You are a big fan of Nachos like Brent?

I love me some nachos, although not those with a capital N.  Those are too pretentious. 

I also love tacos, enchiladas, fajitas and burritos.  I swear I could eat Mexican, or at least Americanized Mexican, just about every day and be a happy man. 

• Like 1