Watches

Dusty Chalk

Any advice on a rubber band for my 2541.80?

This might work on yours - strap is Omega reference #98000085 w corresponding tang buckle #94512012 - fits current SMP CERAMIC and the old 2254.50

My local Jared jewelers ordered this for me last week and it's about $240 for strap and buckle.  See my post from last week with photo of the Hirsch rubber 20mm strap on my Seamaster Pro, which retails for $99 and I got local for $65. I got his last one though. I posted a link for Jacob here.

post-905-0-50814900-1433122908_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the Omega ones are brutal.  Of the straps on that site I think I like the sporty one best.  And I think 20mm width appears to be the correct size, but could I get a confirmation from someone?  

BTW, I also ordered this one last week, but it's not here yet - it came highly recommended.

https://www.watchgecko.com/bonetto-cinturini-300-d-watch-strap.php

I got it on sale for 20% off, but £24 still isn't bad at all.

post-905-0-87181100-1433136462_thumb.jpg

Do you like the mesh?  I really like mesh.  I have four watches on various mesh bracelets.

I do, it's pretty comfortable, but it also a bit formal. I put the rubber band on which is by far the nicest rubber strap I have ever owned. I really like that strap as well. Having options is nice.

I have a Suunto D6 dive watch I need a 24mm strap. Any suggestions what might be comparable to the Breitling strap with out the same price tag?

Edited by naamanf

What's the story on servicing watches?

I have a Breitling (coincidentally, the one Naaman just procured from Jeff) and I had it serviced once a couple of years ago after it started losing time.

Now it can't keep time at all and even though I'm wearing it, it just stops after a while. The original servicing was done by a reputable Breitling dealer (and authorized service center Feldmar, in Los Angeles, the same place I bought it). The watch repair guarantee has long gone, and I find myself not wanting to take it back to the same place, both because they have a terrible multiweek turnaround time, and the fact that I didn't like their service in the first place.

There are many other options for repairs, and I wanted to reach out here and ask if I *have* to take it to an authorized service center, or if I can go to a reputable, local, "unauthorized" repair shop.

Thoughts?

If it's out of warranty you're going to pay either way and probably wait a long time. Servicing is the dirty secret of the whole industry. Breitling's web site says $160 for maintenance and $430 for a complete overhaul, so don't go for much more than that.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-scholars-thoughts-on-the-old-watch-repair-conundrum

Incoming!

I gave up an Omega Skyfall Blue Aqua Terra, an Omega Seamaster Pro "Great White" GMT, and a Seamaster Pro mid-size diver for this one new Rolex.  It's new with both boxes, all the stickers and hang tags, a bezel protector, and my name on the warranty card even though it's from an AD in Singapore and dated 3/6/15.

DavidSW at RolexForums was great to work with!

post-905-0-71528900-1433384691_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-58255400-1433384813_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-40924700-1433385217_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would have traded 5 of each of those Omegas for that watch.  DavidSW is big on the Rolex Forum, I have always wondered how he sold so many new watches not being a dealer.

I wonder too, since he's got to get them past customs with a dated warranty card and no buyer name (he fills out your name on the card).  

If I ever want warranty service I guess that I have to tell Rolex that I was in Singapore to buy the watch this March, since my name is on the card from there?