Watches

Dusty Chalk

Thanks, I had already ordered a RubberB black rubber with blue stripe last week, and then had second thoughts that I should have ordered all blue or all black.  I do have the Everest rubber bookmarked, just in case, but the RubberB arrives this week.

I hadn't planned to put it on leather at all, but I had the leather strap laying around that I was going to use on my blue Titanium Planet Ocean, until I decided that the Shark Mesh was the perfect match and I wasn't changing it again.

I may put the BLNR back on bracelet and once it's all scratched up then brush the entire thing.  But, the comfort on the blue leather strap is very good - the watch disappears and I don't feel it at all.  I never have that happen on a bracelet, but with the leather it's comfortable enough to sleep with.

wear it however you like it, the only person you need to make happy with your watch is your kid, I mean is you.

This.

JFC Larry, I assume that you bought the watch to wear it so do just that.  If the band gets scratched, so what?  If you bought the watch to just look at and keep as pristine as possible then put it away and never put it on your wrist. 

Nate, I love Jesus Fried Chicken, but all I can find around here is KFC.

I love the bracelet, so it goes back on that if the RubberB doesn't look right to me, or if it doesn't fit me well.  The fat lugs on the GMT IIc don't look right to me on the leather strap.  I just wanted to know if other people agreed, or if they liked the pairing.

Larry's discourse is perfectly normal for any watch forum I have ever read. The question I suppose is will HC allow a "watch forum thread"?

I like the bracelet and would probably go in the direction of nylon / NATO before I would consider rubber / leather. Also I consider Rolex to be the absolute best brand in terms of spa treatment and would wear he heck out of it, because they always seem to come back nearly perfect.

Edited by luvdunhill

Think I finally tracked down a FP Journe Chronometre Bleu... Would just need to clear out a few unnecessary watches that would never get worn if I got it. Going to check it out in a few days. Pretty excited.

I enjoyed reading this a while back.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/three-on-three-manual-dress-watch

In this review, I was led to want the VC the most of the three watches (FPJ, VC and A Lange).

Edited by HeadphoneAddict
  • Like 1

I had the GMT II BLNR on the RubberB strap last week for a few days, but it's been back on the bracelet for the past 7 days.

It's more comfortable on the rubber, and better looking on the bracelet, as usual.  But the RubberB looks 10x better than the blue leather strap I tried the first week.

Also, in 7.1 days the watch has only gained +0.1 second vs atomic time.

post-905-0-90226600-1434600171_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-17306700-1434600219_thumb.jpg

post-905-0-20125200-1434600303_thumb.jpg

I'm not particularly into watches - I use a military quartz watch like this https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/62/MILITARY/WATCHES/CWC+G10+ISSUE+WATCH+NO+DATE/0/SKU/4-189-13590-0/Default.aspx.  At UKP145, if it goes wrong (it never has) just buy another.

But for fun and laughs this is the building of the most complex watch that Patek have ever made https://youtu.be/I1L15xehfEA .  Not that you could ever wear something that size and weight, but that is not the point I guess - it is a thing of mechanical beauty in its own right.

I re-jiggered things, taking June and July out of the pay range (Unlikely I'd be paid in July, even if I got hired by any of the three positions I'm a finalist for, tomorrow).  The price is low enough that it comes out as a wash, if I buy this now or if I wait until January 2016, and buy one at the higher, more standard price.  The issue is potential tax payments in 2016, and I already take about 30% of each mutual fund payment out, in the beginning, to take care of it.  I expect one of the jobs I'm up for will hire me, and if they don't, buying the watch won't make much of a difference, as I'd be selling shit come Feb of next year regardless.  This way, I would at least own the watch for a while, even in the worst case scenario.

My asking if it were a bad idea was really if this particular watch, as opposed to a newer one, were a bad idea, compared to waiting.  It looks like the only difference is the slight dial and bezel changes, as the movement is the same.  Some actually say that the earlier movements are better, in terms of finishing, as Glashutte was really showing off in the early 2000s.

I like the way you think, you don't need us to be enablers.

I too plan ahead for many months, and figure out where I'll be in the future, and how emergencies would affect my finances, and set up a plan for not being in debt for something like a watch, while still allowing me to enjoy the watch now.  So, that includes contingency plans like buying a watch that would be easier to flip if I get into trouble later (or having other watches around that would also be easy to flip should I become attached to the new one).

Usually I follow a rule of giving something up to pay for something new.  I gave up 4 watches to get the BLNR and Hulk (which covered 75% of the cost of the two).  But if I get into money trouble I can still part with my Planet Ocean 2500 or my mid 2000's Titanium Seamaster Pro chronograph, whose values have remained pretty stable over the last year.  Since I have the newer models I don't really wear the older ones, but can't bring myself to part with the old ones unless I have to.

We meet about half way, I think, Larry.  I don't have any issues selling things that I historically haven't worn, but I haven't really had any of my watches long enough for that, so I have to guess. At the end of the day, I'll sell every watch but my dad's GMT Master, to support myself, and I'll get more money selling each one than I spent acquiring them.  That is my major requirement, and I think it's the case with this particular Glashutte, if I can get it at the price I like.  I'll email the seller.

You just about said the same thing I did, in a sense.  The "easy to flip" watches I'm talking about are ones that have a stable or increasing value due to demand.  I had in fact also said "desirable high demand watches that appreciate" in my rough draft and shortened my post to avoid the TLDR complaints.  I just don't part with the little-worn or expendable watches until I have a need to do so (to support myself or family).