Watches

Dusty Chalk

Seiko 5 is nice - I gave one to my older brother for his birthday last year, and I gave away my other one last month but can't even remember who got it.  I'm getting old-timer's disease...  I still have one from the 70's but misplaced it last summer, and it really needed to be serviced - so cheaper to just replace it than do a COA on it.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Well, I decided to not send my GMT Master out, quite yet.  With the stock market as it is, I don't want to move any more money than I have to, and honestly, the watch could wait another couple years until the next service.  However, I had to deal with the lugs.  I had dropped my dad's watch, which chipped the crystal and scratched one of the lugs, and my local master watchmaker refinished the lugs and swapped out the crystal for me.  He put on a contemporary polish, which was very conservative.  On vintage watches, the lugs are brushed at a forty degree or so angle, and it's a coarser polish than the brushing on the bracelet.  He gave the lugs the same brushing as the bracelet.  I didn't like that, and he didn't like it when I complained.  I guess I won't be going back.  

Well, tonight, I decided to re-brush the lugs.  I used a dark blue/blue nail buffer, along with the courage and steady hands that come with 6 cocktails (don't do this at home, I've been polishing Rolex bracelets for a good long time, and I had been polishing kitchen knives by hand before that).  Every lug got four careful strokes, inside to outside, with the coarse dark blue side, and then two careful strokes, with more pressure, inside to outside, with the light blue, finer, side.  I then hit the polished sides of the case with Cape Cod cloth to take out any errant scratches.  It's not perfect, but it's not going to be noticeable to anybody who doesn't look at the watch with a 5X loupe and a good idea of where the imperfections are, and I'll actually wear the watch again, now, as the lugs really bothered me.

WqnPS8Kl.jpg

Those deep scratches on the bracelet, due south of the "10," are the last remnants from when my father dropped a 1973 VW Beetle engine on his hand, in the mid 80s.  As the engine moved downhill, it fucked up the bezel insert and crystal (both of which were replaced by Rolex), scratched the bracelet up (which was never completely taken out), and was finally stopped by his wedding ring, which was crushed.  He was basically unharmed.  I've always asked that the scratches not be totally removed from the bracelet, and I wear the wedding ring, which was returned to good condition (boy, gold sure is neat stuff) and eventually was stretched for my sausage fingers.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

This is epic! 

:reksy:

This was my father's daily wear since 1969 until he passed away. I don't wear it much. It's an alarm wristwatch. The button at 2 is the alarm on/off switch plus the quick day jump by pushing. The crown at 3 winds the alarm spring, adjusts hour and week day (no quick jump, you may need to turn the hands 12 times to get where you want to), and adjusts (first position) the alarm time which is displayed by the inner rotating bezel. Like many automatic Seiko of its time, you need to wear it to wind the movement for not having a manual winding position.

It looks larger in the pic than it actually is at just 38mm, probably due to the light, my rather thin wrist, and the outer bezel/case being pretty slim too. It's been recently adjusted, there're no spare parts so when something breaks probably no chances to get it back working. It's going about +10 seconds/day on the winder, a bit less on my wrist.

iY37O17.jpg

The pic doesn't really make it justice, the dial has this metal finish, so the center inside has a different reflection pattern than the ring delimited by the hour marks. I can't capture that without getting an annoying reflexion on the plexiglass glass. Maybe when I get a decent camera.

• Like 1

I have a Seiko SKA371.  It's my "camping, outdoors, shooting" watch. Nice enough watch, and certainly very well made.  

I'm kinda tempted to get the Seiko SARB033, at that price, but I'm going to hold off.

Do you think I would enjoy the SKA371 more than my 3 year old Seiko automatic SKX173 that gains 10-20 seconds a day?  These days if I want something more accurate as a beater, then I wear my Victorinox Divemaster 500 automatic or quartz, or one of my Luminox watches, so I didn't pounce on the SKA371 kinetic. But I think it's pretty attractive.

Well, I also didn't pounce because I bought that Seiko Astron GPS Solar watch.  But now I'm thinking I may give it to Ben for graduation as a surprise.  I haven't even sized it yet, because he really wants the Ti Limited Ed version with white dial.

I could return the black one for the Ti one though.

You did a great job.  

When my '83 Rolex Submariner was serviced in 2012 I didn't have any casework done, as I didn't want to end up with an over-polish or other issue, because my watchmaker was still new to me (he'd only done clocks for us before).  I didn't get to know him better until 2013 when I had him do my Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500, and 2014 when he did my 1976 Moonwatch and Omega Great White. Now I feel comfortable with him doing the case, but I want to wait until I have the next service.

Part of being a friend and insider in any club is taking and giving shit to each other. Mexican Dragon and cetoole are two of the most loved people here. They get more shit thrown their way than anyone. Absorbine_Sr and Aura make Asian jokes at me, and it's funny because there's an inside joke that only we get. I'd be pissed at anyone else, but from them it's funny.

Grawk has defended you in other areas here, and teased you for funny aspects of your personality. It's funny, because he's your friend, and you take shit from your friends, and laugh with them, even if it's at your own expense. If you can't laugh at yourself with friends, then when can you laugh? And laughing with friends is good for you. It's what life is all about. Take it easy, don't take yourself so seriously. It was more of a love slap in the face. Take it that way. Life will be easier, trust me.

• Like 8