Watches

Dusty Chalk

But we all know that it's hard on the forums to tell when you are being laughed at and when someone is laughing with you.  I've been going through a very trying time in my life right now, and everything seems to be getting too serious with me lately.  I think I'm going nuts.  But, I do come here almost daily for companionship, while I haven't been to the "other" forum in ages, so point taken.  Nobody gave me crap at the other site, but here I feel more connected with others.

• Like 1

Back on topic, I'd like to hear about other's watches here in regards to their most accurate mechanical watches.  It might be interesting to compare best vs worst.  (my Seiko SKX173 was losing 20 sec.day, had it adjusted and now it's gaining 20 sec/day, and can't ever seem to be more accurate than that)

I missed my 1980's Submariner 16800 and bought it back 2 weeks ago.  In those 14 days it's been slightly faster and slightly slower, but never more than 1.5 seconds up or down from where I set it vs Atomic time.  Today it's only +0.8 seconds ahead of where it was 2 weeks ago (+0.06 sec/day avg).  

This Sub and my new GMT II BLNR are my two most accurate mechanical watches on the wrist, at less than +0.1 second a day when measured over weeks while on the wrist (my BLNR gained 3.8 seconds in 7 weeks on the wrist).  I'm impressed, as these two could be as accurate as a quartz over a 1 year period of time, although if they were to be left untouched in certain positions without variation in position they might gain as much as 1-2 seconds day.  But on average it become more impressive.

I put my Rolex GMT II Coke on the winder for the past 23 days and it only gained 7 seconds (+0.3 sec/day). My Explorer II 16570 only gained +1.8 sec/day on the winder during that same time period.  But I find that on the wrist my watches tend to be more accurate as they get to be in a wider variety of positions, so that gains and losses average out.  Half my Omegas are this accurate (40 year old Moonwatch, 15 year old Seamaster Pro Chronograph) but a few run closer to between +3 and +5 sec/day consistently.

But we all know that it's hard on the forums to tell when you are being laughed at and when someone is laughing with you.  I've been going through a very trying time in my life right now, and everything seems to be getting too serious with me lately.  I think I'm going nuts.  But, I do come here almost daily for companionship, while I haven't been to the "other" forum in ages, so point taken.  Nobody gave me crap at the other site, but here I feel more connected with others.

Hard to laugh with you if you're not laughing. If you laugh at yourself, then you're ALWAYS laughing WITH us. Just acknowledge your quirks, like we all have at some point. We're all goofy here, but we embrace it. Embrace your weird inner geek, don't fight it. It's our raison d'etre.

So you like birth year watches, bfd. Enjoy it, keep buying them. But have fun with it, don't turn it into a big fight. And write a few sentences about it, not a dissertation. And you'll get shit on for it, because it's kinda weird. Big deal. We've already determined that we're all weird together. See above.

You once made a joke about looking for a pre-dented iPad, after going on for so long about how upset you were about that damn dent. Funny. Self depracating. Everyone loved it.

You have it in you, use the force, Luke! I mean Larry! I don't pretend to fully understand the ways of the force. But I think that's why you're still here.

Ok, enough noise from me. Carry on.

• Like 3

I'm considering selling my bell & ross br01-94 titanium / carbon fiber watch to partially fund my next acoustic guitar purchase. I have the box, original (and unworn) black strap, & whatever paperwork came with the watch which should still be in the box. Bought it August 20th, 2014.  Worn pretty much every day since.  There are several very minor (to me) light scratches on the metal housing near the strap connectors, but nothing on the glass.

I'm figuring around $3,000 is fair?

Posting here if anyone is interested.

I am curious, is that dial solid platinum or is it somehow textured (media blasted?) or polished? I always imagined platinum to look a bit different than it does there..

11.09gm of solid platinum (about $350 worth), and sandblasted to look like the moon.  It's original name was Lunar Dust and they had to change it due to trademark violation..

It's been textured to have a look reminiscent of the surface of the moon.  The Grey Side is a great looking watch.  Do you have it in hand yet, Larry?

Of course, those were my unboxing photos and on my wrist. Correct on the texture.

image.jpg

I wanted the chrono and an auto chrono for this model was ridiculously large (48mm) and twice the price. Size was the main dealbreaker there, though at the >1000$ range I'm not sure if I'd go with Tissot.

As for how it wears, I really don't know what to say. Doesn't feel like a 45mm, that's for sure. As in - the face doesn't scream out the "big watch" look. I needed some time to adjust to blue ceramic, because it's rather bright, but not overwhelmingly so. Bracelet might be a bit too polished, as I prefer a more understated brushed look. All in all the bracelet doesn't feel cheap and doesn't catch arm hair, so that's a large plus in my book.

Does that give a good impression?

P.S. I measured my wrist the other day - eight and a half inches.

Yeah, I'm really happy with how it worked out. Tho much of the happiness comes from not really owning a watch, but researching what to buy. I found out about Sinn, a company which really 'gets' me. I also found out that most diver watches are a homage in some way to a handful of classic models from Rolex and Omega.

I really like the Rolex diver look as well, but really I feel that Rolex has the quintessential 'expensive watch' stigma. One guy from a local forum said that an expensive watch must either be a Rolex or must be golden. I'm sure that in the eyes of uneducated folks this pretty much rings true.

I wanted the chrono and an auto chrono for this model was ridiculously large (48mm) and twice the price. Size was the main dealbreaker there, though at the >1000$ range I'm not sure if I'd go with Tissot.

As for how it wears, I really don't know what to say. Doesn't feel like a 45mm, that's for sure. As in - the face doesn't scream out the "big watch" look. I needed some time to adjust to blue ceramic, because it's rather bright, but not overwhelmingly so. Bracelet might be a bit too polished, as I prefer a more understated brushed look. All in all the bracelet doesn't feel cheap and doesn't catch arm hair, so that's a large plus in my book.

Does that give a good impression?

P.S. I measured my wrist the other day - eight and a half inches.

Yes, I think it gives a good impression.  It's sized right for your wrist, and the best quartz to buy is one with a small 60 second sub-dial.  I agree with Jacob, that you could simply brush the bracelet - use a jeweler/watchmaker or maybe if you're brave enough then do it yourself with a green scotchbrite pad.

You could also consider a brushed shark mesh from Strapecode.

Well, it gave me some insight. Ultimately Damasko looks a bit too Sinn-like, and there isn't that much of a difference in price.

Still. I need to blow some more money in audio projects, before I go for another watch. In the following year or so I intend to build a 4-way fully digital crossover unit. Standard digital inputs->SHARC processor for IIR/FIR->4xR2R DACS. Should kick Arsch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my Grey Side of the Moon back from Omega a couple of weeks ago.  It's keeping time much better now, and consistently averaging +2.4 sec/day instead of +9 sec/day (after it slid 2 feet off my lap to the bathroom tile floor while I was in my wheelchair).

I put it on a Dark Side of the Moon strap and think it looks even better than on the grey alligator strap.

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg