Watches

Dusty Chalk

I just saw a commercial for an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M -- immune to magnetic fields in excess of 15,000 Gauss.  The one in the commercial didn't look like the one in the attached link, it looked more along the lines of the Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M "Chocolate" -- maybe I saw the end of a clip on that one and they started in on the next?  I don't know.

http://lsa5.0.assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/1-215.63.40.20.13.001_Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-39.5mm.jpg

I'd wear that.

• Like 1

Yeah, but that's still a Seamaster Planet Ocean, I distinctly remember the verbage regarding immune to magnetic fields beyond 15,000 Gauss.

EDIT:  although that one you pointed out is really nice, too.

I'm thinking it might be a rose gold variant of the Seamaster Aqua Terra, like the Coaxial or the Chronograph.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Omega-Aqua-Terra-Chronograph-GMT-4.jpg

18 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Yeah, but that's still a Seamaster Planet Ocean, I distinctly remember the verbage regarding immune to magnetic fields beyond 15,000 Gauss.

EDIT:  although that one you pointed out is really nice, too.

I'm thinking it might be a rose gold variant of the Seamaster Aqua Terra, like the Coaxial or the Chronograph.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Omega-Aqua-Terra-Chronograph-GMT-4.jpg

That is sharp!

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2016 at 7:07 PM, EdipisReks said:

That Planet Ocean I linked is METAS certified, which means it has the anti-magnetic magic.  And the article I linked has literally the same picture in it as the one you posted. 

Okay, I didn't pursue what METAS certified meant when I read the article, but the pictures are literally different.  Here's the one from your article, so all you need to do is scroll up, it's set to 10:08, which is within two minutes of 10:10, mine is set to 1:22 something?  WTH, no watch advertiser sets it to that time (1:22).  And mine is lying on the winder knob, whereas yours has the winder knob up in the air -- yours is obviously a superior picture of the watch, but it is not literally the same.  Also, mine has lines of some sort -- it is literally very similar, yet different:

https://hodinkee-2.imgix.net/uploads/images/1458051276921-idbarw2wcaagdddv-cb5637bb7882be4778c4b9bc3eeccfb4/omega_6_hero.jpg?auto=format&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&fm=jpg&h=810&ixjsv=2.1.0&ixlib=rails-1.1.0&q=55&usm=12&w=1440

Anyway...to my point:  I will allow that the Planet Ocean may have been the watch advertised, but from my admittedly cursory google, all the "15,000 gauss" adspeak seemed to be describing the Seamaster Aqua Terra, and I will concede that it may have been describing the Seamaster Planet Ocean, thanks to your helpful input.

I have yet to find the commercial.

I was in a room where the television was on --- the soundtrack -- a very cool world/techno something with female voices -- caught my attention and made me look up and I caught the tail end (fnar fnar) of the commercial without catching the name of the watch.  The two most memorable things were the looks of the thing -- smashing, dapper, stonkin', etc. -- and the ">15,000 Gauss" part, which I recognize from other ads now that I've searched them out.

tl;dr:  Cheers.

I'm not a watch buff, but used to work at Oxford Instruments, where one of our product lines were superconducting magnets.  15,000 Gauss in new money is 1.5 Tesla, which is the fringe field of an exceptionally serious magnet.  It is more than enough to erase every credit card in your wallet (got the badge on that several times).  It is also the centre field in many MRI scanners.  So unless you work in an advanced physics lab or particle accelerator, or want to tell the time while you are having an MRI scan....

I've read about the technology that is in there, and the use of advanced materials, and and exceptional it is too - I just don't see the point in everyday life.  But hey - I've spent shed loads of money an audio gear over the years, which is just as nutty an obsession in pursuit of perfection!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadhead said:

sbga031-14__79672.1389290999.600.600.jpg

Thoughts?

I'd likely own that if it looked my my SBGX115

Magnetic resistance performance

Type

Magnetism resistance 

(in case of direct 

current magnetic field)

Explanation

Common timepiece

Up to 1,600 A/m

(approx. 20 gauss)

The minimum magnetism resistance requirement for a watch. (For reference)

Type 1 antimagnetic watch

(magnetic resistant watch)

Up to 4,800 A/m

(approx. 60 gauss)

A magnetic resistant watch almost always maintains its performance when placed at 5 cm from magnetic field generating devices of everyday life.

Type 2 antimagnetic watch

(super magnetic resistant watch)

Up to 16,000 A/m

(approx. 200 gauss)

A super magnetic resistant watch almost always maintains its performance when placed at 1 cm from magnetic field generating devices of everyday life.

Diver's watch

Up to 4,800 A/m

(approx. 60 gauss)

The magnetism resistance requirement for a diver's watch.

So, my Seiko SBGX115 is supposed to be Type 2 antimagnetic, and the minimum is 1/5 of the Rolex Milgauss resistance, and almost nothing vs the Omega Master Co-Axial.  Seiko doesn't say just how high their resistance goes.  Too bad, because they could market it more to those who need resistance.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

I still think I prefer the subtle pinstripes of the Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT. 

I wonder how ungainly it is at 38.5mm?   That actually sounds like an appealing size.

And yeah, apology accepted, I'm not sure you got that I was displaying my ignorance and teasingly going off on a tangent at the same time.  Literally.

11 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Nerdy bragging rights, largely.

OK - I totally understand that!  

The founder of Oxford Instruments, Sir Martin Wood used his mechanical watch (no idea which one it was) to find where the 1000 Gauss contours of a magnet were.  At that field the second hand would stall.  So whereas the test lab would use technology to measure the 1000 Gauss stray field Martin would just use his watch.

• Like 4

I am thinking that this titanium spring drive diver (SBGA031) going to be the watch I get for our anniversary (as long as it doesn't go out of production). I already have a chronograph with my Zenith El Primero. The Breitling Emergency is something of an oddball but fun. I have wanted a spring drive chronograph for years but the diver checks more boxes and is bombproof to boot.

This would be my first serious watch purchase as the ones I have now were gifts.

I dunno, I think the SBGA029 is a pretty good second choice, if you can't afford the Titanium version.

Yeah I was going back and forth between the two. The initial offer I got from a US dealer brought the titanium down to the stainless price. I decided that the titanium was worth the up charge to have a watch that weighed 1/3 less.

6 hours ago, HeadphoneAddict said:

I dunno, I think the SBGA029 is a pretty good second choice, if you can't afford the Titanium version.

Well, sure, they're basically the same watch and depending on my mood I like the stainless steel version better than titanium. My comment was more referring to the design, being a spring drive and a diver watch than on the specifics of the case. Whichever one you choose, Chris, I'd be green of (healthy) envy ;D

I did a bit more reading and apparently the differences are that 1) Titanium is lighter and scratches less, 2) once scratched shows the scratches more 3) has gold/yellow letters rather than white. Apparently the way they finish the titanium they are very hard to tell apart other than the lettering.