Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish it were the Tribute to 1931 (I couldn't afford it), but I love the Grande Reverso Ultra Thin.  It certainly helps that I'm an Art Deco fan.  At about 7mm, it certainly slips under a shirt cuff well.  My Latvian watch maker has cloned the Casa Fagliano strap for me, in Horween #8, and I look forward to receiving it soon.

I have a hard time thinking that anybody who doesn't like the Reverso is much of a horlogerie fan.  That's like not liking the Tudor Submariner, or a vintage Speedy, or a Patek 3940 (one of which I briefly owned in June:  I never put it on, I just bought it and, a week later, sold it for a $5,000 profit.  I wish I could have kept it).

I have my Horween Shell Cordovan clone of the Casa Fagliano by Jan Ruzinsky on the watch.  it's pretty much perfect.  I would have him make the buckle end slightly longer, if I had this strap made again, but it's otherwise just right.  I had the buckle end made to 16mm, so that I could use my early '60s vintage JLC buckle.  The strap perfectly fills the difficult Grande Reverso lugs.  I had it made in Horween Shell #8.  I have three pairs of Shell #8 shoes, and two other pairs of oxblood shoes, so it will continue to work very well with blue and grey suits, but the new strap makes the watch more casual and versatile.  I can always put the large scale OEM Alligator strap back on, with 18mm JLC buckle, for formal use.  

LCUXWyYl.jpg

mJo6WrGl.jpg

ifVviNfl.jpg

Hv3h4eSl.jpg

Edited by EdipisReks1

4 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

No true Scotsman ... ;)

I can't believe you didn't at least take a (very careful) wrist shot with the 3940 before moving it on!

It barely had any wear, and I knew I would be selling it (I spotted a deal): I was afraid to take it out of the box to examine it for condition!  That $5,000 paid for this term of my doctoral program, which I'm leaving, as of today (it's been an absolute waste of time and money), so maybe I'll at least get the 3940 profit back.

4 hours ago, Grand Enigma said:

The good news is I don't care what you think. Also welcome back, you are clearly the real Reks :)

Was there any doubt? :)

• Like 1

On May 16, 2016 at 7:06 AM, Hopstretch said:

No, I think it's still going to be a while. Haven't heard of any being delivered through official channels yet, so it was interesting to see one showing up on the downlow.

What could cause serious unhappiness would be ADs selling their limited allocations out the back door for 150% of MSRP instead of satisfying their wait lists. If I was Rolex I might buy up some of the early grey offers, track the serials back and crack a few skulls.

Larry if you don't decide to keep the CK-2998 then give me a shout. 

Still haven't got the call that it's in, but I like not having credit card debt so I might not keep it - would rather have the ceramic Daytona, but I have so many watches right now I don't need more to be happy.  I'm back thanks to Jacob, but my priorities are different - I've been focusing on my family.