Watches

Dusty Chalk

My "designed and tested on deployment" Marine Raider watch finally arrived. Nice packaging and a couple of strap options. I think this will be a great Ti beater for the summer when I do not want to wear the other beaters.

d77cae73e82539ebde34a3f21cc9c4b4.jpg

7ad04c01880b166158645222ed957e8f.jpg

fb365fcd09ec1f8afaa96e59fdcdfc81.jpg

9e2ac7e4fc85b702164344e9036fab41.jpg

7ad082e3a5557786108ac1f8e64119c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Really can't capture how nice the linen dial looks in photos. The 5740C is a pretty great movement, very accurate & the smoothness of the seconds hand is nice. Got the strap hand made since I wanted grey with round-scale alligator lining.

IMG_20170610_134317.thumb.jpg.ca5b230992f25d07b59ad3ff9444da39.jpgIMG_20170617_172105.thumb.jpg.c45db2357a9ffd8d7c1c51ad30bac201.jpg

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That is a killer Seiko!  Nice quasi-Breguet numerals, and I love the straight-grained dial.  Who was the strap maker? 

The strapmaker is combat straps, based in Montreal. Also made shipping alligator leather a little simpler than if I ordered elsewhere. This pic shows a bit more of the dial texture, though it's still not quite how it looks in person.

IMG_20170426_020241.thumb.jpg.aeef7e23b2478e56dcade0b5cabe79ee.jpg

Gotta love the acrylic domes that these old watches tended to have too.

IMG_20170513_162842.thumb.jpg.86cf94ed4b75fb4796599b4df648857e.jpg

• Like 4

I don't really believe in beaters. If you are worried about being robbed, just don't wear a watch. I wouldn't wear that on a "night on the town." Nights on the town imply a jacket, for me, at minimum, so I wear my ultra thin JLC. 

I fix a lot of shit and work on cars/bikes/boats/houses and it's nice to have a watch you don't mind getting scratched etc for those times when you know you're going to be a doing aforementioned things most of the day.

I haven't worn a jacket out in 6 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Dreadhead said:

I fix a lot of shit and work on cars/bikes/boats/houses and it's nice to have a watch you don't mind getting scratched etc for those times when you know you're going to be a doing aforementioned things most of the day.

I haven't worn a jacket out in 6 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

if a tool watch can't take all of that, it's not a tool watch. No matter how expensive.  I chopped wood wearing my pre-moon Speedy, last weekend.  Did I scratch it?  Probably.  We all die, and every mechanical device breaks down.  We only have the wear to show for it. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

8 hours ago, Grahame said:

I trust you were wearing your lumberjack jacket at the time.

I was wearing a flannel shirt.  I got scratched more than my watch did, I'm sure. It was hot as fuck, too, so the flannel shirt didn't appreciate it. 

Wabi Sabi.  I used to get irritated when my knives got scratched.  What's the fucking point of having them if they don't get used for the intended use?  I finally realized what Steve Jobs realized a long time ago.  I wish I had a ground up iPod. It would be honest. Perfect looking backpacking boots just means you haven't been backpacking.  That ultra thin JLC is scratched up.  I wore it, and I scratched it up. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

This place is going to make me spend more money than I already do, which is saying something.

I don't own many watches....although that is becoming more challenging following this thread.  I love the Omega stuff.  Had a nice Seamaster swiped when we were relocating during a stint in South America.

This is one I bought myself a couple of years ago.  It's a Seiko Japanese model I purchased though Massdrop (meh on this vendor).  Something about "Cocktail watch".  I wear it quite a bit to work.  It's a nicely made watch although I have to say the clasp/buckle mechanism is not only funky for being upside down compared to what I'm accustomed to but it's a lot of work as the length of band setting mechanism often comes out of the hole and I have to chase the secondary belt for the band all too often.  48 hour reserve which is not bad nor great as I've used it a while now.  Didn't seem to like our watch winder although I should put more effort into that.

All in all pretty good value for money and it kept me from buying something more expensive while we pour money into our kids, our old home and my crack habit like pursuit of vehicles....

I used Massdrop's pics as the ones I took with my phone were, shall we say, lacking.

Seiko%201.jpg

Seiko%206.jpg

Seiko%202.jpg

Seiko%203.jpg

Seiko%205.jpg

Seiko%204.jpg

The specs:

• 6R15 automatic movement
  • Seiko Cal.6R15 Manual
  • 23-jewels
  • 21,600 bph
  • Hand winding compatible
  • Hacking seconds
  • Case: Stainless steel
  • Crystal: Domed Hardlex
  • Case width: 40 mm
  • Case height: 13 mm
  • Lug width: 20 mm
  • Power reserve: 50 hours
  • Water resistance: 50 m
  • Made in Japan

HS

• Like 4

I bought that exact watch for my ex-brother in law, a couple Christmases ago.  He loved it, and I thought it was very nice for the money, though the strap isn't amazing. I think that model winds counter-clockwise only, on a watch winder. 

Regarding the clasp being upside down, you can just swap the straps. 

3 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

Agreed. We threw out our cheap dishes and we use the fancy ones every day. Things are meant to be used.

The funny thing is that the fine china is going to stand up to the rigors of regular use a lot better than the cheap stuff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I could use some advice on where to purchase an important watch for my wife here Stateside.  Big anniversary coming up.  At our 10-yr I purchased a gold Omega for her with a mother of pearl face that went over very well.  In the past I have relied on Alan Furman out of DC.  They have always been good to deal with (previously known as Alan Marcus if memory serves me) and handled themselves reputably with my transactions.

I don't mind spending it.  Just don't want to give it away so some discount would be nice.  Watch must be new, boxed with all paperwork, and have the appropriate warranty, etc...  I am leaning towards a Cartier, but I am still browsing.

Thanks.

HS

Sorry Sam, I haven't been on the forums much the last few days.  My default suggestion is always Jomashop, if you don't mind going grey market.  There aren't many downsides going grey market, but there is always the potential for irritation with warranty.  Basically the grey markets buy product from authorized dealers for slightly over wholesale, and then split the difference.  Joma, like all of the good grey markets, warranties the watches themselves.  I have no relationship with Jomashop other than good experiences as a customer, including warranty repairs. 

If you don't like the grey market idea, shoot me a PM with some specific watches you are looking at, and i'll see what I can find for you.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I'm having my Jaeger LeCoultre master ultra thin serviced, and I've also enquired about a stainless steel bracelet for it.

ATM it has a brown leather strap, but if their SS bracelet is available then my watch will look just like that in the photos.

IMG_2305.thumb.PNG.48cf67e2d033dac6c47cec3ad1d4587f.PNG

Sorry about the not so clear photo.

IMG_2306.thumb.PNG.50d3665bede9787d40de35f36d5f6477.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luvdunhill said:

Any recommendations on how to handle an Omega service? Direct in the US, direct to Switzerland or an Independent?

I'd say that it depends on the model. I wouldn't have one of the newer coaxial mechanisms serviced outside the official network.