Watches

Dusty Chalk

Two of my three main watches are manual winders.  Stupidly, I have a 6-watch winder, and two 4-watch winders, just collecting dust, from back when I had a lot of watches. I think the automatic Master looks great; I wonder if the manual wind Master is so thin that it kinda looks weird (I've never seen one in the flesh).  That's a great Reverso, too.  I love my Grand Ultra Thin.  It, of course, get's plenty of wear with suits, but with the Horween shell strap I had made for it, I also wear it casually pretty often.  

Edited by EdipisReks1

Well, I bought the wifey's future anniversary gift.  

Sadly, it's taken me down the rabbit hole on a desire I had put to sleep with humble purchases with a bit of personality.  The Drive de Cartier piqued my interest from the first time I saw it....

Then when I was minding my own business I saw the Tag Heuer in Gulf Oil livery....  Those Gulf Oil colored stripes against the black...yummy chow.  

Then there was the original Vintage (a re-issuance of sorts) that resembles the colors of Paul Newman's LeMans movie driving smock.  Preferences?

HS

cartier drive de cartier.jpg

monaco vintage gulf.jpg

monaco newman.jpg

They are larger....mostly thicker as the caliber changed. 

I'm taken by auto racing themed watches. The Drive de Cartier had me and then I saw the Gulf Monaco. Spoiled by the idea of new and any Monaco would be used though.

I think I'm in trouble...  This thread is addictive.

Thanks for the thoughts. Please keep them coming. 

HS

13 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I wonder if the manual wind Master is so thin that it kinda looks weird (I've never seen one in the flesh).  That's a great Reverso, too.  I love my Grand Ultra Thin.  It, of course, get's plenty of wear with suits, but with the Horween shell strap I had made for it, I also wear it casually pretty often.  

The Master Ultra thin manual wind does look quite thin, but I love it like that, which is why I've decided to try and cancel that automatic and keep the manual.

Now if I'm successful with that cancellation, I'll carry on with having the service done of that manual, and also get a JLC SS bracelet fitted.

I was told the service would take around 3 months to complete, so I'll easily have the spare money for that bracelet by then.

The place sorting everything out isn't open Sunday's, so I'll contact them Monday morning to hopefully make the cancellation.

I'm also now going to get a Grande Reverso Ultra thin manual wind.

• Like 1

The cancellation of that JLC Master Ultra thin Automatic has been done, and the servicing of my JLC manual is back on.

Now as I mentioned I'm now going to get a JLC Grande Reverso 2788520 Manual wind, so here are some photos of that watch which I think is very nice looking.

I also like it with the black leather strap, so when I have that watch I won't be changing the strap for a JLC SS bracelet like I am with my Master.

IMG_2341.thumb.PNG.3eddf55fc1d8662fb89506a26db5903e.PNGIMG_2340.thumb.PNG.011a1f16df5af850715af5492f4c15d5.PNGIMG_2343.thumb.PNG.9f8d73f4ffbaf3313e4fcef1c6aa8d11.PNGIMG_2342.PNG.da3792d53372bc953cc6a143fb5ae24c.PNG

• Like 2

On 7/23/2017 at 4:27 AM, swt61 said:

They know that not everyone is meant for spaceflight. :P

Funny stuff Steve, and true enough (!), but in this case it's simply because mine was made in January 1969, which is long, long before Omega started engraving the casebacks with space stuff! it was 7 months or so after my watch was made that Omega started engraving casebacks with space stuff, which is a long time, right? Right?  There are rumors of casebacks, quickly destroyed, that were engraved with commemoration for a failed Apollo 11 mission, but I've never seen evidence. I'd hope that this was rumor only, but who knows.

Dave R, I've looked at Tribute to 1931 price, and it looks like they are just as expensive as they were a year ago (they didn't make many, after all!.  The Tributes are more special, but not that much more special. I have a strap maker in Latvia (who does wonderful work; I have several of his straps) who made me a copy of the Casa Fagliano strap, but in Horween Shell, and in a custom length (and with 16mm ends, so that I could use my '50s vintage JLC buckle).  The Casa Fagliano straps are like $1000, so it was a pretty good deal at $180, or whatever (and was quite a bit less than I spent on the buckle)!  I'd be happy to put you in touch with him, if you are interested in a less dressy strap alternative.

LCUXWyY.jpg

Edited by EdipisReks1

10 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Before you buy a standard GRUT, try to find a Tribute to 1931 version for a reasonable price.  I couldn't justify the 1931 price, at the time, and I'm very happy with my GRUT, but the Tribute is more special. 

Thank you for mentioning about the Tribute 1931 Reks, which before your mention I'd never seen photos of that watch, but have now.

WOW ! that is a beautiful, classy looking watch, and with the black dial would be a perfect contrast to my masters silver dial.

Couldn't resist it, but here are some photos of that beautiful looking watch.

IMG_2347.thumb.PNG.b544aeae41ab0cbad8e7fcec47ca23e1.PNGIMG_2348.thumb.PNG.d56e47a532cb1edddd998ad65b4739c5.PNGIMG_2350.thumb.PNG.6ddebaadbae70382f4093f2647a65597.PNGIMG_2351.thumb.PNG.2a893b8ff5e42a3dfc1643e5e1318941.PNGIMG_2354.thumb.PNG.e9ba1d9094c2d04f087606fa0fc5d5d4.PNG

1 hour ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Dave R, I've looked at Tribute to 1931 price, and it looks like they are just as expensive as they were a year ago (they didn't make many, after all!.  The Tributes are more special, but not that much more special. I have a strap maker in Latvia (who does wonderful work; I have several of his straps) who made me a copy of the Casa Fagliano strap, but in Horween Shell, and in a custom length (and with 16mm ends, so that I could use my '50s vintage JLC buckle).  The Casa Fagliano straps are like $1000, so it was a pretty good deal at $180, or whatever (and was quite a bit less than I spent on the buckle)!  I'd be happy to put you in touch with him, if you are interested in a less dressy strap alternative.

I've found a place in the UK that has brand new genuine JLC's including that Tribute 1931, and the price for that watch is £5175 using PayPal or Credit card, and £5045 bank transfer, which I'd be prepared to pay either.

So when I've the spare money I'll give them a call, in fact because I could get to that place I'll offer them cash, then maybe get more of a discount.

Also thank you for your suggestion of a strap by the person in Latvia, but I'd rather have a JLC strap for that watch.

5 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Funny stuff Steve, and true enough (!), but in this case it's simply because mine was made in January 1969, which is long, long before Omega started engraving the casebacks with space stuff! it was 7 months or so after my watch was made that Omega started engraving casebacks with space stuff, which is a long time, right? Right?  There are rumors of casebacks, quickly destroyed, that were engraved with commemoration for a failed Apollo 11 mission, but I've never seen evidence. I'd hope that this was rumor only, but who knows.

LCUXWyY.jpg

I wouldn't doubt the rumors of destroyed casebacks for Apollo 11. They'd have had to have made them up with plenty of advance time. And I doubt they'd want any getting out.

12 hours ago, Dave R said:

I've found a place in the UK that has brand new genuine JLC's including that Tribute 1931, and the price for that watch is £5175 using PayPal or Credit card, and £5045 bank transfer, which I'd be prepared to pay either.

So when I've the spare money I'll give them a call, in fact because I could get to that place I'll offer them cash, then maybe get more of a discount.

Also thank you for your suggestion of a strap by the person in Latvia, but I'd rather have a JLC strap for that watch.

If you are buying new, that makes total sense to do it.  I was trading in an Explorer 2 and paying the difference on a very lightly used (still under warranty) Reverso, and didn't want to make the jump up to a new watch (at the time, as is still the case, the used Tributes aren't much cheaper than new).  Cheers, and make sure you show pics once you have it!

6 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

If you are buying new, that makes total sense to do it.  I was trading in an Explorer 2 and paying the difference on a very lightly used (still under warranty) Reverso, and didn't want to make the jump up to a new watch (at the time, as is still the case, the used Tributes aren't much cheaper than new).  Cheers, and make sure you show pics once you have it!

The JLC Master Ultra thin I have was bought used, and was/is in perfect condition, however I like the thought of having something new which the Tribute 1931 will be.

Getting a Tribute though will probably be at the latter part of next year because first a building on the gable end of my bungalow needs to be completed, and second my youngest brother lost his job sometime ago and can't get work anywhere, and he always wanted a Reverso Ultra thin, so I've decided I'm going to buy him a 2788520, which will be in May next year.

I've been told the servicing of my Master Ultra thin is going to take around 3 months, and a JLC SS bracelet is going to be fitted, so when I have it I'll post some photos.

While the price of that Tribute 1931 from thewatchsource.co.uk is £5175 or £5045.63, for shipping outside the EU the price is £4312.50.

Here's a photo of that.

IMG_2359.thumb.PNG.b6fad6a32095fd27abba0fc68a1b3211.PNG