Watches

Dusty Chalk

So this is not at all what I was expecting: it's a Unisonic with a 14k bezel!  It's currently riding on a JB Champion two-tone bracelet, which is rather fitting. I have no idea if my watchmaker can service this, the early electric watches being... quirky.  I definitely want to get it up and running.  It has an inscription on the back, with my father's name.  I'd show a picture of that, but it also has his SSN (a common enough thing at a certain point in time, I think).  What an interesting watch for a man in his early 20s to have bought. The unexpectedness makes having it all the more special for me.

IMG_1868.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks.  I was finally able to get the OEM strap off (the spring bars were glued to the leather, and some glue had seeped inside the bars) and I currently have it on a grey/black NATO from Clockwork Synergy that I found in my box of watch odds and ends.  I transferred the signed Bulova buckle over, to complete the look.  I think this is a nice combo, and it's very comfortable.  The leather strap was actually very nice, but the sizing wasn't quite right for my wrist.

This isn't a watch I would have gotten if I hadn't been able to get it for essentially free, but I actually really rather dig it.  Part of that is just because of how different it is from everything else I own. 

IMG_1870.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, I got my dad's UG back.  I had asked that the case be cleaned up, but that the polish be conservative.  In hindsight, maybe I should have asked for a bit more polishing, but the watch looks honest.  I have it on a late 60's NOS Spiedel Teju-skin strap, with a correct UG gold filled buckle.  The watch wears extremely comfortably, and has a totally different flavor from anything else I own: I'm very glad to have it, both for those reasons and that it connects me to a period of my dad's life that I know very little about, even if just tangentially.  Sorry for the slightly out-of-focus wrist shot.

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

• Like 7

On 1/20/2018 at 12:06 AM, EdipisReks1 said:

If I were in the market for a dress watch, and I didn't want to spend 5 figures, I think I'd have a hard time not waiting to try the Drive de Cartier in steel on. 

I really wish you had not done that, ER.  I was fancying one seriously last year when I purchased a nice watch for the wifey for our 20th.  It was the thicker version available then.  I managed to back away...

I agree.  It's a lovely watch.  Not sure about the gray strap but I like both the stainless and gold.

HS

Guys, seek your advice - is it expensive to service and maintain a watch with perpetual calendar and moon-phase complications? Something like the JLC Master Calendar? Am looking at one that was initially purchased back in 2012...wondering if its time for a service and what it would reasonably cost. Appreciate your thoughts :)

3 hours ago, Rossliew said:

is it expensive to service and maintain a watch with perpetual calendar and moon-phase complications?

Yes.  The master calendar is an annual calendar, not a perpetual, though, right?  Shouldn't be quite as expensive.  Still expensive.

19 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I really wish you had not done that, ER.  I was fancying one seriously last year when I purchased a nice watch for the wifey for our 20th.  It was the thicker version available then.  I managed to back away...

I agree.  It's a lovely watch.  Not sure about the gray strap but I like both the stainless and gold.

HS

Cartier watches usually get a decent discount at the AD.  I bet you can pick one up for under $5k, in the summer.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Although my preference is a dress watch as opposed to a sports, I do want a watch I can wear while playing snooker, pool, darts, and with me being left-handed which is where I wear a watch, there'd be a certain amount of shock movement, so I'm not sure if an A Lange & Sohne 37mm ( manual wind ) in white gold  ( which is the watch I was saving for )  would be suitable to wear while playing those game, I'd also prefer a watch in stainless steel rather than white gold or any other precious metal, and apparently ALS don't do any in SS.

Now I had a suggestion here on HC to consider a Rolex, and I do like the look of an Oyster Perpetual 36mm SS ( Automatic ) with a blue dial seen in the first photo, however, after seeing that in the other 3 photos I much prefer the look of that to the Rolex, which most if not all here on HC will know is an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15450 SS 37mm ( Automatic ) with blue dial.

In the UK an AP RO 15450 is considerably more expensive than that  Rolex, so would take me quite a bit longer saving for, but that's something I'd be prepared to do, however I'd like to hear thoughts about that AP RO 15450 from anyone here on HC that would like to offer theirs, bearing in mind I would be wanting to wear that AP while playing those games mentioned.

IMG_3406.thumb.PNG.d18ffb06ceb83aa7444d72348d64d256.PNGIMG_3402.thumb.PNG.b52d2073a27ef11ec18693f4f7a11940.PNGIMG_3403.thumb.PNG.7f19034038dbf88073a44d2a4608ba81.PNGIMG_3405.thumb.PNG.ca0a719098d7e1401522d7d519648839.PNG

Edited by Dave R

1 hour ago, Dave R said:

Although my preference is a dress watch as opposed to a sports, I do want a watch I can wear while playing snooker, pool, darts, and with me being left-handed which is where I wear a watch, there'd be a certain amount of shock movement, so I'm not sure if an A Lange & Sohne 37mm ( manual wind ) in white gold  ( which is the watch I was saving for )  would be suitable to wear while playing those game, I'd also prefer a watch in stainless steel rather than white gold or any other precious metal, and apparently ALS don't do any in SS.

Now I had a suggestion here on HC to consider a Rolex, and I do like the look of an Oyster Perpetual 36mm SS ( Automatic ) with a blue dial seen in the first photo, however, after seeing that in the other 3 photos I much prefer the look of that to the Rolex, which most if not all here on HC will know is an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15450 SS 37mm ( Automatic ) with blue dial.

In the UK an AP RO 15450 is considerably more expensive than that  Rolex, so would take me quite a bit longer saving for, but that's something I'd be prepared to do, however I'd like to hear thoughts about that AP RO 15450 from anyone here on HC that would like to offer theirs, bearing in mind I would be wanting to wear that AP while playing those games mentioned.

IMG_3406.thumb.PNG.d18ffb06ceb83aa7444d72348d64d256.PNGIMG_3402.thumb.PNG.b52d2073a27ef11ec18693f4f7a11940.PNGIMG_3403.thumb.PNG.7f19034038dbf88073a44d2a4608ba81.PNGIMG_3405.thumb.PNG.ca0a719098d7e1401522d7d519648839.PNG

Very, very nice.

The APRO is a scratch magnet so if that bothers you -- given the usage -- it might be something to consider. Otherwise, it's in a different class to the Rolex, for good (it's a stone classic design) and ill (movement is less robust and cost of ownership will be substantially higher).

Another Rolex option at 36mm would be a Datejust 116200 on a Jubilee bracelet with the white gold fluted bezel. Gives it a bit more visual interest in my opinion.

m116234-0139.png?impolicy=upright-majest

20 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

The APRO is a scratch magnet so if that bothers you -- given the usage -- it might be something to consider. Otherwise, it's in a different class to the Rolex, for good (it's a stone classic design) and ill (movement is less robust and cost of ownership will be substantially higher).

Another Rolex option at 36mm would be a Datejust 116200 on a Jubilee bracelet with the white gold fluted bezel. Gives it a bit more visual interest in my opinion.

Thanks for your Rolex suggestion, but I prefer the look of that Oyster Perpetual.

Regarding that APRO, scratches wouldn't bother me that much, as long as they didn't become too noticeable, the thing that does bother me though is I've heard servicing is quite high, so I may pass on getting that AP, plus it would take me sometime saving for one anyway.

I am happy with my JLC Master Ultra thin 34mm ( manual wind ), and I wear that while playing the games mentioned after being told it would be OK to do so, which it seems to be.

I guess if my JLC manual wind is ok to wear playing the games I do, there should be no reason why that ALS Saxonia 37mm ( also manual wind ) couldn't be worn, although I'd sooner have one in stainless steel which unfortunately ALS don't do. 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:14 AM, Hopstretch said:

For my edification, is the RO a scratch magnet because of the brushed finish or is the stainless a different grade?

The RO is quite beautiful.  I'd go slightly larger....say 39mm.

Three watches that have caught my fancy of late and all quite different:  first it was the Drive de Cartier line, then the RO's here, and now I've been noticing the Rolex Daytona's a bit more than I should do...  I've concluded the Tag Monaco is simply too large for my wrist unless it is perhaps an older one.  I"m a bit over "vintage" for the moment having been working on partially restoring/refreshing motorized toys the last few years.

Omegas have long been piqued my interest.

HS

We were at a jewelry store getting a piece repaired for Colie, when I saw that they had the silver limited edition Bulova Lunar Pilot, which is no longer made and long out of stock in their inventory system (I've asked).  No idea where it came from.  I wanted it, of course, but didn't want to buy something for myself without getting something for her.  Unfortunately, I have a credit line with this store, so we looked slightly to the right of the Lunar Pilot.  Colie really liked the Bulova Chronograph C, so...

mL2f5qXl.jpg

I really rather like it.  Funny enough, due to the date window and the modern, as opposed to the vintage, typeface that is on the older, silver LE, the black PVD watch actually looks more vintage, especially with the strap I have it on.  

LprPaeZl.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

We were at a jewelry store getting a piece repaired for Colie, when I saw that they had the silver limited edition Bulova Lunar Pilot, which is no longer made and long out of stock in their inventory system (I've asked).  No idea where it came from.  I wanted it, of course, but didn't want to buy something for myself without getting something for her.  Unfortunately, I have a credit line with this store, so we looked slightly to the right of the Lunar Pilot.  Colie really liked the Bulova Chronograph C, so...

mL2f5qXl.jpg

I really rather like it.  Funny enough, due to the date window and the modern, as opposed to the vintage, typeface that is on the older, silver LE, the black PVD watch actually looks more vintage, especially with the strap I have it on.  

LprPaeZl.jpg

That one on the right, this would do it for me I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally realized that wearing vintage and otherwise luxury watches to a job where I run around and bump into shit constantly was maybe not a good idea, so I used some of said store credit.  I still needed something that would easily fit under a cuff.  

This Citizen Signature is a great watch.  I didn't like the gold accents in the web pics, but it's really nice in person.  Good complications.  Build quality is way, way above the price range, quality wise. 

IMG_0008.jpg

• Like 2