Watches

Dusty Chalk

Looks like a good day to me, ER.  Cheers!

Took the day off myself.  Sipping some nice Guatemalan....beats the office.

Here is something I bought myself recently...nothing fancy (Swedish outfit) but I've worn it more than anything else of late.  I very much like the dimensions as many of the oversized watches du jour do not work for me.  Came with a black strap also that's quite elegant, but I'm stuck on the olive for now...

HS

IMG_7338.JPG

IMG_7340.JPG

• Like 2

I now have a 7 inch wrist.  It's nice not having to worry about strap lengths. I need a new custom for my Reverso, though. The watch in the photo is the Bulova Lunar in black on a Toxic NATO.  The Toxic NATOS are ALMOST as nice as the Omega NATOs. Not quite.  The Omega ones are worth it.

Wow Jacob, had not seen your pic in a while. Looking goood!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

so went for this one. different from what i had in mind, it may be border line too big, but the hour markers were a must and could not find one, reasonably priced, black face with hour markers. I hope it is well received, if not I'll return and get a lower profile one. : - )

mov watch.jpg

mov watch2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm unsure of why the Kay Outlet had the Oris Thelonious Monk LE on clearance, let alone why they have Oris watches when Kay proper doesn't, but I had a bunch of Kay certificates that were about to expire (all those Bulova limited editions bought from Kay for crazy low prices, if you remember), so on June 20th, that Oris Thelonious Monk LE will be mine. I've always really liked this watch, but never pulled the trigger.  For $600, brand new?  Yes please.

HD_Oris_TheloniousMonkLimitedEdition_SMALL.jpg

• Like 4

OK...  I may regret this but I'm looking for a watch for self.  The quality watches I've purchased for many a year have been for a special anniversary for well deserving wifey.  She is not a jewelry person, but she appreciates a nice watch.

At the moment I am bent on a nice sports watch...whatever that means.  Stainless case and band is where my head is.  Preferably 40mm or frankly a tick or more below that.  I want new.  Love the idea of vintage but I've had my share of it of late in home, cars and stereo equipment and I simply desire a piece I don't have to worry about for a good while.

I've been a bit focused on Rolex.  Some sexy stuff.  Would love the new Daytona in stainless but it feels excessive given the supply / demand equation.  I have been an Omega fan for a long time and the last watch I purchased a couple of decades ago was a Seamaster.  Lost to South America but that's another story...

Thoughts and pics most welcome.

HS

Stretch is right on, of course.  A new Speedmaster (get the one with the hesalite crystal) is also never a bad decision.  They are 42mm, but wear like a 40 (they really do). Given that you like Seamasters, though, this seems like a no-brainer.  Having said all of that, the Black Bay 58 is likely what I would get. It's a good size (a great size, really, and 12mm, which makes it versatile in an age where most Tudors are chunky), and I think it's just beautiful.  The movement is excellent, as is the case finishing (Tudor cases are simpler than Rolex cases, but of a similar quality, which is to say about as good as it gets).  I would buy it on the bracelet, but I would get the fabric strap with it (Tudor fabric straps are as good as Omega fabric straps).

In my own watch world, which was newly added to in a less thoughtful way, I'm actually really liking the Oris.  it's simple, in a highly mid-century modern way (the design really reminds me of something JLC would make), the dial is beautiful when the sun catches it, and at 11mm with well sloped lugs, it slips under a dress cuff with absolutely no problem.  The stock strap is too long (not something I ever thought I'd say!), but it's not too too long, and it seems to be lined with some sort of synthetic suede, so hopefully I won't get a rash and need to get a custom strap made.  The overall quality is quite good.  It's an SW200-1 Sellita, which isn't an amazing movement, but it has been keeping wonderful time, just like the ETA 2824 it's based on can. The funny 11 indexes between 10-12 isn't noticeable, except when you do, and it's kinda fun.

IMG_0044.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

An omega constellation coaxial is another good option. My wife can't wear a full size so I got her the mid size. She also has a mid size rules datejust, you can't go wrong with either.

12310382101001.jpg.80f4114c8309734389a33f193e637314.jpg

Had not been thinking about this watch.  I love my wife's Aqua Terra on her...elegant and the clean style with the mother of pearl face make her smile.

Will will have a look.  I'm thinking this is probably a bit more evening like (probably a poor analogy) than I'm looking for, but I need to be open minded.  Obviously I need to drive some of these.  I've only tried on a few Rolex so far.

Thank you!  Helps me think out of the box.

HS

2 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Stretch is right on, of course.  A new Speedmaster (get the one with the hesalite crystal) is also never a bad decision.  They are 42mm, but wear like a 40 (they really do). Given that you like Seamasters, though, this seems like a no-brainer.  Having said all of that, the Black Bay 58 is likely what I would get. It's a good size (a great size, really, and 12mm, which makes it versatile in an age where most Tudors are chunky), and I think it's just beautiful.  The movement is excellent, as is the case finishing (Tudor cases are simpler than Rolex cases, but of a similar quality, which is to say about as good as it gets).  I would buy it on the bracelet, but I would get the fabric strap with it (Tudor fabric straps are as good as Omega fabric straps).

In my own watch world, which was newly added to in a less thoughtful way, I'm actually really liking the Oris.  it's simple, in a highly mid-century modern way (the design really reminds me of something JLC would make), the dial is beautiful when the sun catches it, and at 11mm with well sloped lugs, it slips under a dress cuff with absolutely no problem.  The stock strap is too long (not something I ever thought I'd say!), but it's not too too long, and it seems to be lined with some sort of synthetic suede, so hopefully I won't get a rash and need to get a custom strap made.  The overall quality is quite good.  It's an SW200-1 Sellita, which isn't an amazing movement, but it has been keeping wonderful time, just like the ETA 2824 it's based on can. The funny 11 indexes between 10-12 isn't noticeable, except when you do, and it's kinda fun.

IMG_0044.jpeg

Thank you, ER!

Very tasteful watch. 

I've wanted a Speedy forever.  Did not appreciate them when I first saw one on a friend in when I was in Jakarta for a stint...too uneducated to appreciate what I was looking at then.  I know better now.  I will definitely drive a few...love them on a leather strap with a nice clasp.

Might not be this time around, but I'll own one eventually.

HS

Here is another option but it is a bit off the reservation

Glashutte Original Watches - Art and Technik PanoReserve - Style No: 65-01-23-12-24

Glasshutte Original Pano Reserve.

Options include white dial and they do a strap in addition to the bracelet. 

Oh and the rolex explorer, similar look to the oyster perpetual but with some arabic numerals.

Rolex Watches - Explorer Explorer - Style No: 214270

• Like 1

Very cool!  I was not familiar with the brand so it's cool to learn of it.

The Explorer is a good looking option I have looked at regularly as I've studied the Rolex options.  I like it.

One thing I think would be good is to have the band be brushed to avoid more scratches than necessary, although with time I realize it will be a tool.  I have a Baume & Mercier that's a shiny tank and it's beautiful but every few years I have it polished (a lot of work) as the "patina" gets be a bit much.

HS

Unlike every other swatch brand, glassutte does everything themselves. No off the shelf or modified eta movements, not that there is anything wrong with eta movements they were tanks and measure very well. I'm not paying 10k for a watch with one though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

ER,

I've read about that Tudor after it was called out here and I've got a mental block or something.  Likely due to a lack of education on my part about the brand.  I need to see one in person and maybe that will help me grow to appreciate the love that goes into making them.

I like the idea but I'm not getting the feels.  The human condition...

HS