Watches

Dusty Chalk

I'd definitely see if anybody near you has one (I don't know if they've actually hit retailers or not).  I really love V=vintage Rolex, so it definitely does it for me.

1 hour ago, SeaWolf said:

Tudors are good watches for the price, but in person you can see and feel where the savings were had in comparison to Rolex.

I take it that you haven't handled a recent one.  Hell, my Big Block Chronograph from the early 90s was built every-bit as well as my late-90s Explorer II.  

Imo they are equivalent. At least between the oyster and constellation. Seamaster/speed master  can be found on a few different styles. I haven't worn all of them so I won't comment.

Old style holes case oyster bracelets are worse but only right at the clasp. They also start to pull hair when they loosen up. But if I had a holes case I'd replace it with a leather strap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Blasphemy! 2/3rds of the trilogy and not the best option?

soldier-22010382001002.png

LOL...fair point.  

To be honest, I like the Railmaster, but less so in the '57.  Maybe it's the pics but the appearance of the gray ring where the case and crystal meet is bugging me.

I do like it in the all brushed look on the current standard one, though.  But...it's a 40mm and I'm thinking I want to go a bit smaller.

HS

soldier-22010402001001.png

I love JLC, who else will give you a perpetual calendar for less than 20k! And their ultra thin line!

I am so tempted by the reverso 1931, I just do not want it in gold. I am not good a babying things.

Also philosophically I feel a reverso should be in SS and have nothing on the other side.

5 hours ago, VPI said:

If you like the Railmaster you should check out the upcoming JLC Polaris.

DSCF8120.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=form

I think one of these on stainless will be what I replace my Submariner with as my daily beater watch.

If there is truth in the thought that an artist should elicit emotion good or bad I'd argue this watch does it for me.  Yes and no.

Very cool.  Would never had thunk it up on my own.

HC FTW.

HS

5 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

I love JLC, who else will give you a perpetual calendar for less than 20k! And their ultra thin line!

I am so tempted by the reverso 1931, I just do not want it in gold. I am not good a babying things.

Also philosophically I feel a reverso should be in SS and have nothing on the other side.

Being in SS is one of the reasons why I like my JLC Master ultra thin ( 34mm ), and the main reason I won’t save for an A Lange & Sohne saxonia ( 37mm ).

10 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I have been looking at Alpina lately. I like their designs quite a bit.

Good looking watches, luv.  

The site makes you work to identify sizes of cases.  41.5mm is about as small as I found with my short search.

I've been watching some videos which I find more helpful than just the images I've been focused on primarily.

At the moment I am inclined for one of these.  Thinking 39mm but I'd like to try them on again in both 39 and 36mm.  Leaning towards the Rhodium but I very much like all 3 faces.

Thoughts?

HS

rolex 39 blue.jpg

rolex 39 rhodium.jpg

rolex 39 white.jpg

White dial or black dial. I don't like the green dots over blue or the blue dots over grey dial, but that's highly personal.

100% agree. Wish they’d just used white gold applied hour markers on all the dials, but Rolex knows what they’re about I suppose.

[emoji6]
  • Like 1

Took a few watches for a spin...  Forgive my fur but it doesn't get any better ?

The Rolex shop only had the white dial in a 36mm so I tried the only 39mm they had in stock, red grape.  The good news was I got to see the white in person...elegant and different from the other white dials from other models.  The 39mm felt right for me.  Interestingly, the pics make the 36 look better proportionally than it did to me in person.

The Omegas were very nice and a lot of fun.  They had two of the three '57's on hand...unfortunately the Speedmaster was not in stock.  The First Omega in Space (FOIS) Speedmaster was hard to pass on.  Not crazy about the strap, but the watch itself has so much going for it IMO.

HS

IMG_7557.jpg

IMG_7558.jpg

IMG_7559.jpg

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rossliew said:

The red grape Rolex does look very nice. Love the sunburst dial.

So, which did you leave the shop with?

The red grape dial was indeed very nice in person.

I left a deposit for a white 39mm oyster perpetual after test driving the Omegas.  The salesman kindly tossed in a Wolf winder.  I informed the Rolex salesman that I was headed to the Omega shop next to help narrow down my purchase as I try to be respectful of a professional's time. 

In the end the Rolex was my top choice, but I'm still eyeing the First Omega in Space.  I'm to receive a call today on how long the wait will be.  It was interesting to see how low the stock was on these in an official Rolex boutique.  

HS