Watches

Dusty Chalk

On 8/9/2018 at 10:56 PM, grawk said:

that tudor gmt is awesome

I wish it were thinner, but I’m glad it’s no thicker than it is!  I see a BB58 in my future, at some point. 

I’ve been wearing my beater Sistem51 the last couple days, while packing for the move. It’s a nice watch. I’m glad it’s not quartz. The tic-tic-tic has helped me get through some issues (said issues are including the complete demolition and redo of the bathrooms in the new apartment, due to repair work not being acceptable, but that isn’t gonna be much fun: I’m glad we have two bathrooms. Tic-tic-tic).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I wish it were thinner, but I’m glad it’s no thicker than it is!  I see a BB58 in my future, at some point. 

I’ve been wearing my beater Sistem51 the last couple days, while packing for the move. It’s a nice watch. I’m glad it’s not quartz. The tic-tic-tic has helped me get through some issues (said issues are including the complete demolition and redo of the bathrooms in the new apartment, due to repair work not being acceptable, but that isn’t gonna be much fun: I’m glad we have two bathrooms. Tic-tic-tic).

Good looking watch the BB58. Fairly tall but perhaps it wears less so?  I need to try one on. 

Im thinking it looks a lot like your Rolex, no?

Best of luck with the move.  Always stressful.  

HS

Because I like to wear a watch while playing snooker and pool, and being left handed, ( so there’ll be a certain amount of jerkiness on that watch ) I feel my next watch should be somewhat durable and automatic, so it can be winding while playing.

Now there were two watches that caught my eye, Rolex Oyster Perpetual and Explorer 1, I then came across that in the photos, JLC’s Geophysic true second which I like the look of even more than the Rolex’s, that JLC is also supposed to be a durable watch.

The JLC is more expensive than the two Rolex so would take me longer to save for, but the watch I have atm is a JLC Master ultra thin ( manual wind ) that I very much like, so my preference is that JLC Geophysic true second  being my next watch, however any thoughts here on those Rolex’s vs that JLC would be much appreciated.

5EBA0EBB-B35F-4D4C-A0A3-65BBCBCC0A74.thumb.jpeg.3793cc94cebf46c7ff85b9753b69e9ae.jpeg93158C08-C2E7-4826-96CB-E9E311182B69.thumb.jpeg.b1728779b9ec28338d753e50baa7b172.jpegC189BDA8-75E7-48D5-BC33-9272ACA7F890.thumb.jpeg.1a8696c30fdd799fcb0326048571d404.jpeg3FD657F1-2E7A-438C-965F-3B91B641512B.thumb.jpeg.44e477ebbd1a802db9afb8ac7ff2c816.jpegE239DC19-F6BD-460D-A6E9-0F7C6E2F3563.thumb.jpeg.b6d5f34ec8ba4459d8bee08cd8e3bec9.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 1:13 AM, HemiSam said:

Any size you had in mind, Rossliew?  That narrowed it down for me quite a bit.

HS

Not too fussy with sizing, from 40 to 42 mm is good. Not too small like a 36 or even 39mm. There's a used Tudor Pepsi gmt up for sale locally for about $4500 equivalent and another BB bronze for about $3500. Good choices both? 

• Like 1

I feel like a DJ belongs on a jubilee it was made for it quite literally. It with the fluted bezel gives it a more dressy appearance that works so well. If I want a classic look oyster; I would go for a perpetual or a explorer 1.

That said I would never buy a DJ on a jubilee because despite how much I like the look of the bracelet my arm missing the hair from the localized point where the watch sits is just odd. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

I feel like a DJ belongs on a jubilee it was made for it quite literally. It with the fluted bezel gives it a more dressy appearance that works so well. If I want a classic look oyster; I would go for a perpetual or a explorer 1.

That said I would never buy a DJ on a jubilee because despite how much I like the look of the bracelet my arm missing the hair from the localized point where the watch sits is just odd. 

6 hours ago, Rossliew said:

The jubilee kinda defines the oyster, doesn't it? 

IMO the jubilee and the DJ belong together. The flute has been also a classic trademark of the DJ. So the classic way to go would be having both, but then it's what one prefers. OTOH I'm not sure how would that look on a larger size watch, I only have references on a 36mm watch. For the pics I think that the jubilee "needs" the fluted bezel, it looks a bit strange on a smooth bezel. When using the oyster bracelet, both bezels look OK, maybe the smooth one a bit better, maybe for it's the combination in the Explorer, and other models.

7 hours ago, Rossliew said:

The jubilee kinda defines the oyster, doesn't it? 

It defines the DJ IMO. The two were released together as a package. IDK if rolex has put other watches on the Jubilee?

The oddly the Jubilee actually predates the oyster bracelet, but the first oyster cases are ~20 years older than the DJ. That is if my memory is working.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:24 PM, Hopstretch said:

Here's a real nitpicky question. Which of these Datejusts is the way to go?

Jubilee bracelet and smooth bezel.

Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel.

Oyster bracelet and fluted bezel.

Oyster bracelet and smooth bezel.

Get what my mother just bought for herself: fluted bezel on oyster bracelet (she bought 36mm).  She went with a black dial with roman numerals, which isn't to my taste, but the fluted bezel and the oyster bracelet looks great.  I would otherwise have said fluted and jubilee (since the engine turned bezel isn't offered anymore), but the oyster really looks great on it.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I would take a pic of my blacked out GShock, which I picked up today, but it's so monochrome that my phone won't focus on it.  I really rather like it. When I really got into watches, ten years ago, I never thought I'd ever own a digital again, but I really like this and the cheapo Casio World Time I have.  This GShock is an objectively terrible watch (it being blacked out makes it hard to read, and hard to use), but it certainly has a presence!

I might get one of these, in a little while. I was never allowed to have a GShock (I was bought many other Casio watches, but never the GShock nor the calculator, for who knows what reasons) as a kid, so this is a bit of wish fulfillment for me. I'm also now into selvedge denim, so I guess that the logical third thing is to get into sneakers.  I wear suits at work, so that's a fairly nice contrast, and the 90s fashion that is so in now works for me very, very well (other than suits: 90s suits were gross).

Edited by EdipisReks1