Watches

Dusty Chalk

Wearing the Santos, today.  I love this watch so much that I wonder why I have other watches.  Of course, this is my sentiment whenever I put on most of the others...  There is something about the Santos, though. 

IMG_0091.jpeg

I also doubt whether I should have gotten the large.  I bet I'd be doubting getting the medium, if I had gone that way, too.

• Like 1

The GS Snowflake (spring drive) is a beautiful one. However, the 2018 model has gold colored indexes and hour/minute hands, which i found a bit too gaudy for my taste.

The GS Diver (also spring drive) is another beautiful watch. 

Sadly, both are out of my price range..

One general question on automatic/mechanical time pieces - how anal are you guys when it comes to accuracy?

1 hour ago, Rossliew said:

The GS Snowflake (spring drive) is a beautiful one. However, the 2018 model has gold colored indexes and hour/minute hands, which i found a bit too gaudy for my taste.

The GS Diver (also spring drive) is another beautiful watch. 

Sadly, both are out of my price range..

One general question on automatic/mechanical time pieces - how anal are you guys when it comes to accuracy?

The regular snowflake still exists, and is of course the superior version (SBGA211) 

The gold-index version is a separate model (SBGA259)

Though i really like the dial on the snowflake, i'm not too keen on the shape of the case.

i prefer the more angular cuts of the other case designs... which is partly why i have a SBGH001 instead ;) 

i'm not to anal about accuracy, but i prefer a watch where i can forget about adjusting it for a month or two without it getting too bad.

so i guess i'm happy as long as its off by less than 5 minutes after two months.

That's great! Did you end up sending it to a Seiko owned center, or one of the Seiko certifieds?

I used the SCA Service Center in NJ. This is the second piece I got back from them and they paid a lot of attention to detail. For example, they replaced worn screws in the band and realigned the crown so when tightened its pleasantly orientated.
  • Like 2

Accuracy of new watches: 117610LN, a watch that is several years old and hasn't been serviced since new: ~+1 sec per week.  Seriously.  That is either on my wrist or on the watch winder. Cartier Santos (a brand new watch): +1-3 sec per week.  Again, seriously, with it either on my wrist (which has been a lot) or on the winder!  New Speedmaster: I can't quite tell, as I need to set it each time I wear it (too many watches!), but it seems to be about... drumroll... +1-3 sec a week.  Man, modern mechanical watches rock. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

But, when you get down to just one watch and wear it every day -- dings and schmutz happen. Think I'm going to start building up a rotation again.

IMG_1656.thumb.jpg.4a0386899e3a8a678deab71206323967.jpg

I'd trade most of what I have for that.  What a monster piece!  Better with every scratch, just like how the best tuxedo is something handmade, Italian, with the occasional moth hole. 

Edited by EdipisReks1