Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Although spring drive is probably superior, I find the dead second complication more interesting. Also the back of the JLC is more appealing to me. The GS does have a full bracelet.

Just buy both and use the GS for casual and the JLC for more dressy occasions..

For me it's hard to choose because I find they scratch different itches and are not directly competitive.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 8:38 PM, Augsburger said:

Yeah, i don't listen to idiots either unless they are telling me something I want to hear. ?

Drink more wine, it's cardioprotective.

Dave, sorry not a fan of either. Can't remember what you already have in your collection but at $9K or so there are others that I would rather own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopstretch said:

Drink more wine, it's cardioprotective.

Dave, sorry not a fan of either. Can't remember what you already have in your collection but at $9K or so there are others that I would rather own.

The watch I have Hops is a JLC Master ultra thin 34mm manual wind which I very much like, but I’m after something more durable.

27 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

9k is a pretty crowded area. And for less than twice that you can get the 37mm Saxonia Thin. 

The 37mm Saxonia Thin is my dream watch, but I’d prefer the case in either stainless steel or titanium, which A Lange & Sohne don’t do.

Dave,

Looks apples and oranges to me.  Both nice watches, but I think you're after more of a tool watch if I've followed your posts...recall correctly.  I like the idea of the steel band if that's what you're wanting.  

The Seiko's construction and finish is very impressive, but aesthetically it just doesn't do much for me.

I have to say I have been super pleased with my 39mm oyster perpetual and it's a watch I am comfortable wearing for mild sporting stuff.  It's a bit new for me to beat on it too much yet, but I figure I'll get there in time.

What has surprised me these last few weeks...maybe as an aside or maybe something to keep in mind as a variable as you explore options.  I was concerned my Speedy's manual wind would be a hassle vs the automatics I've grown used to over the years.  Actually, it's been the opposite and a pleasant surprise.  I think I'm preferring the manual wind.  I feel I have more control over when it's fully wound / will run out of energy.  Nifty...

HS

P.S. how about a Tudor as an option?  I like the look of the Black Bay Fifty-Eight on the steel band.

42 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

Dave,

Looks apples and oranges to me.  Both nice watches, but I think you're after more of a tool watch if I've followed your posts...recall correctly.  I like the idea of the steel band if that's what you're wanting.  

The Seiko's construction and finish is very impressive, but aesthetically it just doesn't do much for me.

I have to say I have been super pleased with my 39mm oyster perpetual and it's a watch I am comfortable wearing for mild sporting stuff.  It's a bit new for me to beat on it too much yet, but I figure I'll get there in time.

What has surprised me these last few weeks...maybe as an aside or maybe something to keep in mind as a variable as you explore options.  I was concerned my Speedy's manual wind would be a hassle vs the automatics I've grown used to over the years.  Actually, it's been the opposite and a pleasant surprise.  I think I'm preferring the manual wind.  I feel I have more control over when it's fully wound / will run out of energy.  Nifty...

HS

P.S. how about a Tudor as an option?  I like the look of the Black Bay Fifty-Eight on the steel band.

I’m not particularly bothered about a watch with a steel band HS, in fact I prefer leather, I was just thinking of a more durable watch to wear while playing snooker and pool, which I think I’ve previously mentioned.

The JLC I have is supposed to be shock resistant and is manual wind, which I prefer to automatic, and I do wear it while playing those games, but that watch is losing time pretty regularly  and the winding has become quite stiff. I’ve read when these happen a service is needed, so looks like I’ll be having that done soon.

I do like the power indicator on the Grand Seiko snowflake, but the case at 12.8mm is quite thick, I find the Geophysic TS on the other hand is a very nice looking watch , but the ticking seconds handle makes it look a quartz, so both these watches to me have plus and minuses.

My thoughts have been on getting either a GS snowflake or JLC TS, but doing so right now would leave me skint,  so after the thoughts here, I’m going to save for an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia 37mm, and stick with my JLC Master ultra thin until then, and when I eventually have that ALS I’lI remove it when playing those two games.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

36 minutes ago, Dave R said:

I’m not particularly bothered about a watch with a steel band HS, in fact I prefer leather, I was just thinking of a more durable watch to wear while playing snooker and pool, which I think I’ve previously mentioned.

The JLC I have is supposed to be shock resistant and is manual wind, which I prefer to automatic, and I do wear it while playing those games, but that watch is losing time pretty regularly  and the winding has become quite stiff. I’ve read when these happen a service is needed, so looks like I’ll be having that done soon.

I do like the power indicator on the Grand Seiko snowflake, but the case at 12.8mm is quite thick, I find the Geophysic TS on the other hand is a very nice looking watch , but the ticking seconds handle makes it look a quartz, so both these watches to me have plus and minuses.

My thoughts have been on getting either a GS snowflake or JLC TS, but doing so right now would leave me skint,  so after the thoughts here, I’m going to save for an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia 37mm, and stick with my JLC Master ultra thin until then, and when I eventually have that ALS I’lI remove it when playing those two games.

Good stuff, Dave.

Yes...time for a service on the JLC no doubt.  Not inexpensive, but you'll be happier for it.

On a personal note, I am slowly looking for brown alligator bands with a deployment clasp for my FOIS Speedy.  The brown leather band is nice and supple, but it doesn't move me.  I think a medium brown alligator with a nice deployment will really put me over the moon with this watch...no pun intended.  Well, perhaps a poor pun...

HS

5 hours ago, Dave R said:

IDK if you have seen the saxonia thin in person, but if not you are in for a treat.. it is truly special.

Probably not a wise thing for me to do, but Monday I’m making enquires about a loan in order to help get a Saxonia thin 37mm in white gold, yes I like a stainless steel case, but white gold is more luxurious, it’s also more susceptible to marks/scratches.

The place I’ve had dealings with before has that A Lange & Söhne model available, which is the same place I’ve enquired about having my JLC serviced, so I’ll ask them if they’ll take my JLC as part exchange for that Saxonia thin.

After giving it some thought, I’m just going to have my JLC serviced and wait until I’ve the money saved for a Saxonia thin 37mm.

No matter how much I desire that watch, there’s no point getting myself into debt for one, especially when I’ve other things that need sorting.

• Like 2

In my previous post, I said there was no point getting myself into debt for a Saxonia, however I’ve also said that that ALS is one of my dream watches, so I’ve thought if I could easily make a loan repayment then I’d get one.

Now I enquired about a service cost of my JLC Master ultra thin from a place I’d got watches from, and they quoted £750, ( the service was being done by JLC ) this place also had a Saxonia thin 37mm in white gold available.

So I asked this place rather than have my JLC serviced, would they accept that JLC as it is, in part exchange for that Saxonia, which they said they would, they also made me an offer for my JLC I was happy with.

I then asked about a loan from my bank, and was able to get one with a decent interest rate.

What this means is the monthly repayment is an amount I can easily make, so I should be getting that Saxonia in the next couple days.?

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dave R said:

Been informed I’ll be receiving it tomorrow, which I’m excited about.

Oh shit!  You had better post pictures.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:50 PM, grawk said:

I'm 99% gonna get my dad a 4th gen apple watch for his birthday/christmas.  He has had heart issues recently, so it seems like a good option.

I really like the Apple Watch. The fall detector and heart features would be amazing for somebody older than us.