Watches

Dusty Chalk

1 hour ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I just looked at your Saxonia pics again.  I want one so bad.  I could trade for one... I'm thinking about it.  Congrats, Dave.

Thanks Reks.

Something I haven’t mentioned, is while this Saxonia of mine may look brand new, it’s actually used. I got it from Watchfinder.co.uk that sell only used watches.

This ALS though was done in 2018 so it’s not old, which is probably why it’s in pristine condition.

What I can’t understand is why the previous owner let it go so quick, unless they preferred the ALS 1815 and exchanged that Saxonia for one. Whatever their reason I’m glad they did because I paid quite a bit less than what they’re new, plus I was able to exchange that JLC I had for it.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:48 AM, Dave R said:

Thanks Reks.

Something I haven’t mentioned, is while this Saxonia of mine may look brand new, it’s actually used. I got it from Watchfinder.co.uk that sell only used watches.

This ALS though was done in 2018 so it’s not old, which is probably why it’s in pristine condition.

What I can’t understand is why the previous owner let it go so quick, unless they preferred the ALS 1815 and exchanged that Saxonia for one. Whatever their reason I’m glad they did because I paid quite a bit less than what they’re new, plus I was able to exchange that JLC I had for it.

I almost always buy watches used. I'll take it off your hand, if it bothers you.

It is all I wear these days. I really do not like any of the leather bands I have tried on it so far and I really dislike the Milanese band that it came with, but the sport loop bands are really comfortable and look decent. 

C4CEFAAB-F277-4448-83B9-854C6E29B948.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/30/2019 at 1:30 PM, VPI said:

It is all I wear these days. I really do not like any of the leather bands I have tried on it so far and I really dislike the Milanese band that it came with, but the sport loop bands are really comfortable and look decent. 

C4CEFAAB-F277-4448-83B9-854C6E29B948.jpeg

I finally found a leather strap that didn’t look like a piece cheap of plastic lol. From a place in the city called Ashland leather, the guys that run it also work for the Horween tannery. 

3C483A83-AC98-432F-A6DE-46085F24661B.thumb.jpeg.b2dde17cd52c94938c24082a13976c58.jpeg

• Like 1

I have not made the leap to an Apple watch.  Everything in the house including the phones is Apple other than a Windows computer at work and one I used to keep for running my datalogging and tuning on my hot rod.  Now I'm running VMWare Fusion fairly successfully on my Mac Air so I'm not using the POC HP Windows laptop at all....but no Apple watch.  I don't have a reason other than I can't see myself wearing one at work and I really like my newfound mechanical watch crack habit...

There is one more watch I have to own before it's all said and done (for now anyhoo...).  A stainless Daytona.  Newish not vintage.  Likely in black face.  We'll see how it goes.  I have a hard time getting comfortable paying $20K plus for a $12K stainless watch so we'll see if waiting for one does any good.

HS

download.jpeg

On 2/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, EdipisReks1 said:

Wait a couple years and the prices will come down on the new ones.

That's about how long the wait list is supposedly so it looks like I'll be waiting either way...LOL.

My next purchase will likely be a brown alligator strap for the FOIS Omega.  It's a bit of an odd sized strap at 19mm/16mm, and I want a deployment clasp...I really do not enjoy fiddling with the simple clasp.  I'm thinking this one will do the trick if they can make it in my size...

HS

alligator strap jean rousseau.jpg

On 2/2/2019 at 9:58 AM, HemiSam said:

There is one more watch I have to own before it's all said and done (for now anyhoo...).  A stainless Daytona.  Newish not vintage.  Likely in black face.  We'll see how it goes.  I have a hard time getting comfortable paying $20K plus for a $12K stainless watch so we'll see if waiting for one does any good.

The way Rolex handled the Daytona has always bothered me. Now I will not fault them on it. The methods they have used over the last 30 years to create demand, for a watch which was a dog for the first 25-30 years of its existence, has been extremely effective. I just refuse to play into their game and the dial just isn't me either.

What I mean is that the shortage we have now is not the shortage we had before, this true shortage of daytonas started with the latest model: the ceramic bezel. Before that Rolex required the dealers to artificially hold back inventory.  My source for this is a member of the family that owns one of the largest watch ADs in all of the USA. The Rolex locations that they have are setup as stand alone boutiques, they were one of the first to do this at the request of Rolex years and years ago.

I have never like the large block of text at the top of the modern dayton dial, so I never strongly considered buying one myself. While having a general conversation some years ago about watches in general we got onto the topic of the dayton because plantinum ones had just been announced and I really liked the ice blue dial on the daydate. While on the subject of the new platinum one he mentioned that he had 12 steel daytonas in the safe but per rolex he had to keep them tucked away there and not put them on display. They had to slowly call and offer them to their best clients, telling them that "one just came into stock".  

So needless to say no list apply.

48 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

The way Rolex handled the Daytona has always bothered me. Now I will not fault them on it. The methods they have used over the last 30 years to create demand, for a watch which was a dog for the first 25-30 years of its existence, has been extremely effective. I just refuse to play into their game and the dial just isn't me either.

What I mean is that the shortage we have now is not the shortage we had before, this true shortage of daytonas started with the latest model: the ceramic bezel. Before that Rolex required the dealers to artificially hold back inventory.  My source for this is a member of the family that owns one of the largest watch ADs in all of the USA. The Rolex locations that they have are setup as stand alone boutiques, they were one of the first to do this at the request of Rolex years and years ago.

I have never like the large block of text at the top of the modern dayton dial, so I never strongly considered buying one myself. While having a general conversation some years ago about watches in general we got onto the topic of the dayton because plantinum ones had just been announced and I really liked the ice blue dial on the daydate. While on the subject of the new platinum one he mentioned that he had 12 steel daytonas in the safe but per rolex he had to keep them tucked away there and not put them on display. They had to slowly call and offer them to their best clients, telling them that "one just came into stock".  

So needless to say no list apply.

I have read that they controlled supply and worked in the last several years to manage length.  So much so I had to wait for my 39mm oyster perpetual...their most basic watch I figure.  I had not appreciated the extent of it.  Effective but not so nice.

I take your point on the text being quite copious, but to my eyes the dial is sexxxxxy.  And I really like a few other things:  it's 40mm, it's not too tall and there is no date / cyclops.  I also like the auto racing link even if that's not the way it all started...

HS

Yea the recent supply issues are real. I was only talking about the games that were played with the daytona 2015 and before. Back when you could still buy every other SS rolex sports watches at a discount.

My rant was not intended as discouragement on the part of anyone seeking the watch. Just that with what they have done in the past it is a very hard watch to get out of any rolex AD unless you are a high volume customer and that has always been the case. Your best bet to get one is if you live in a small town and have small AD who operates honestly. I am lucky in that respect where I live now. 

I was in mexico and the caribbean recently and the oyster perpetual was in stock at every location in at least 2 variants, still not sure if i like the red grape or rhodium more, side by side they both are so cool. Most locations I visited had explorer 2s in stock, some had both dials and finally most had TT versions of skydwellers, yachtmasters and yachtmaster 2s in stock. TT GMT, subs and daytonas were nowhere to be seen let alone SS version.

I haven't been to any large USA ADs in some time so IDK where they stand. I will be in Vegas in April. It will be interesting to see what is at the locations there.

For me sports chronographs are a tough sell. I like the dressy ones from ALS and GO, but the only sports ones that I like are the hublot spirit of big bang series. I just wish the magic gold one had the same 100m water resistance of the rest of the metal and ceramic variants.. I really don't get why its 50m, fuck isn't the point of magic gold that you cant scratch it?! I can see 50m on the sapphire ones because of potential difficulty sealing the complex case with so much of that difficult material.

Hublot has miss managed themselves so much and they pack the el primero, so I have no problem taking advantage of the discount that is found on the secondary market. Great value for a tonneau cased sports chrono IMO.

The Rolex boutique here in the Galleria sees a lot of traffic.  They had the Oyster Perpetual 39mm in grape back when I bought mine last year.  Good looking watch.  They had several of the smaller versions (e.g. 36mm and smaller).  To get the new white 39mm (or the black for that matter) I had to order it and wait.

They are so back ordered on Daytonas that, to their credit, they don't even accept waiting list additions.  I'm waitlisted at a reputable dealer in a smaller town.  A friend's uncle that seemed pretty straight forward and requested no deposit.  We'll see if it does any good.  Maybe by then my tastes will have changed...LOL.  I might perish before it shows but nothing to lose.  We'll see...

HS

IMG_7558.jpg

P.S. I preferred the Dark Rhodium to the Grape...

The rhodium is definitely the more versatile. The red grape is just fun. I'll have one of the two, I am leaning toward the red grape. It would be my only red dial watch. 

I have a standing order with my Omega AD for the new men's constellation Manhattan master chronometer when it drops. I'm getting the rhodium dial with rose indicies and hands. I always get a large discount from the owner of my Omega AD. For everything else I buy used it new from the grey market.

But I'm going to wait on the Rolex to see if the rumored increase in production drops the grey market price on the oyster perpetual 39.

My first Rolex experience didn't go well because I didn't take the time to select the right watch. I should have gotten the no date sub. I ended up getting a DSSD. At the time i wanted a date but I dont like the magnifier. I talked myself into getting used to the thickness. I never did and sold it. Lesson learned.. I hope.

23 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

The rhodium is definitely the more versatile. The red grape is just fun. I'll have one of the two, I am leaning toward the red grape. It would be my only red dial watch. 

I have a standing order with my Omega AD for the new men's constellation Manhattan master chronometer when it drops. I'm getting the rhodium dial with rose indicies and hands. I always get a large discount from the owner of my Omega AD. For everything else I buy used it new from the grey market.

But I'm going to wait on the Rolex to see if the rumored increase in production drops the grey market price on the oyster perpetual 39.

My first Rolex experience didn't go well because I didn't take the time to select the right watch. I should have gotten the no date sub. I ended up getting a DSSD. At the time i wanted a date but I dont like the magnifier. I talked myself into getting used to the thickness. I never did and sold it. Lesson learned.. I hope.

When I looked up the omega constellation manhattan, all I see are ladies' sizes.  Post a pic if you have one.  I'm curious.

Cool on the Rolex.  I think you'll be very pleased.  My 39mm is brutally comfortable and versatile IMO.

HS

Yea they updated the ladies collection first. It from a visual stand point is a subtle update. Most obvious is that the date has moved from 3 to 6 and a change to the intermediate links of the bracelet. The main update is the movement. The mens watches will follow shortly but I do not have a date. The ADs have been told to not order current generation, because the update is coming. Another thing that is supper cool with the new one is the butterfly clasp has on the fly adjustment on both sides. I think is 2mm per side for a total of 4 on the ladies. For men hopefully they can step it up to 3mm per side for a total of 6 at least. 

I live at 4500ft of elevation and desert mountains, but I really appreciate on the fly extension when traveling. In mexico this year the humidity was so bad I went through the on the fly extension of my diver 300m and actually switched to a nato. 

here is the current(read old) model of the mens with exact options I want. 

2308000237_8.png

You can also get this base dial with yellow gold or blue hands and markers. I like the rose most though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Sounds like to solution is to buy more watches.

I have two Rolexes, two Omegas, a Cartier, a JLC, an Oris, and two Apple Watches (and other things, like G Shocks).  The last thing I need is more watches.  I think I just need more clothes with red hues. :) I wear a lot of pink dress shirts, and I have a Bonobos military jacket in Burgundy, and some red jeans: a start!

Edited by EdipisReks1