Watches

Dusty Chalk

OK...I just realized I caused confusion.  It's not mine...  Neighbor meaning my office neighbor.  

I only wish...  Although when I do get one it'll be with the black face.  Only a two year wait...LOL.

What was really cool is all the watch geeks this gent knows stopped by to see his Daytona.  Sitting in my office chair I got to try a GMT Master ii Batman and a Sea Dweller.  They wore smaller than I expected, but definitely heavier than my little 39mm.

HS

OK...another watch bonding session at the office today.  This time....Rolex Sky-Dweller in stainless with the white gold fluted bezel and white face.  

I have to admit I did not appreciate the full complexity of the 9001 movement / watch.   Dual time zones I got.  The annual calendar that takes into account various days in given months I did not appreciate...uninformed as I never studied the watch previously...it's too large including height/tall for me.  The way the rotating bezel functions is nifty.

A beautiful watch albeit too big for my taste/wrist.

HS

sky dweller too.png

• Like 1

The case on the sky dweller is really nice too, it has a lot of their old sub and gmt, pre super case but in a larger size. Maybe some super case influence there too.

The case of the yacht master ii is the same sort of shape. 

It's my favorite modem Rolex case design.

• Like 1

An Oyster Perpetual 39mm is not only my favourite looking Rolex, but is one of my favourite looking watches, and straight after getting that Saxonia thin I was strongly considering getting one, but doing so would’ve put me further into debt, which is why I decided to get a Grand Seiko quartz.

However once that debt is paid off and I’m financially able to do so, I’m using that GSQ as part exchange for a ROP.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rossliew said:

What do you guys think of the Yacht Master with the rhodium dial. Looks very similar to the GMTs n Subs..and a nice hue too IMO

Beautifully made watch.  The face is a bit busy for my taste, but I have a friend with one and I have to see it is a beaut in the metal.

HS

PS...whoops.  I did not do your question justice.  I see the rhodium dial is very different and a cleaner design.  I'm assuming you mean in the 40mm.  I like it.  The bezel is a bit chunky for me, but much cleaner than the Yacht-Master II.

Edited by HemiSam

The steel/ Platinum with rhodium dial has an almost iced quality to it. The second had and yacht master text really pops vs the similar tone of the rest of the bracelet, case, bezel and dial.

It's a fantastic use of color. It might be the best use of contrast in the Rolex catalog or at least the most dramatic imo. 

Although a Rolex OP 39mm is one of my favourite looking watches, I’ve come to prefer straps much more than bracelets.

Now while it’ll be sometime before I’m able to get a ROP, I’ve been looking at different straps and came across a place that not only do straps, but also an end link specifically for 20mm lug Rolex, which to me looks a lot better than just a strap.

Not sure if this end link has already been mentioned on Head-Case, but here are some photos.6F3661E2-4BFD-451A-8A3D-63E090892D62.thumb.jpeg.5acb45f96ea9b6b6b195a05e547a301b.jpegDF03861B-4635-4D40-85A6-3740076D7E1C.thumb.jpeg.5d53820f207e7b3f26e6c549f6fec5c7.jpeg959821BA-5C7F-4E73-BB23-E8CB609BBDE5.thumb.jpeg.4cb07eb11953c1239295764d4a44ace8.jpeg3EF0966A-3F32-43FC-AEF4-0CFC79BAD336.thumb.jpeg.b570eb22a4be32624ae0954ed7fb5495.jpeg

• Like 1

Found a different end link for most Rolex, and what’s great about this one is it looks like any strap can be used with it, providing it’s 20mm.

What I can’t understand is why this end link isn’t available for ROP 39mm.

I’m at it again with photos, this time quite a few. ?

3C341D59-8EAB-42A7-898C-2C2A2F036090.thumb.jpeg.15a5328c77a6a221d2ccb133f60b6cc2.jpegAA78902A-D3C2-4694-B292-8ED1202A02EB.thumb.jpeg.c4eac9c35edd796e217a3f384c72362b.jpeg522CC59A-4E15-43F5-BCAC-44EC976E0C39.thumb.jpeg.399fb101e231d8c84fbf794546823980.jpeg87BA4884-DEE2-4FE8-AB24-69D19496AAEC.thumb.jpeg.07cb84bed0565964db987a46f9b54a44.jpeg110ACFC3-95C4-4345-A419-628EC6B1AD8A.thumb.jpeg.4abc07af82d5ce732538679c2a693243.jpeg8B94B984-F5AB-43BE-9F3F-15C6A9871342.thumb.jpeg.3c54b4045b8a0a1cabdb20e5317c0d67.jpeg15E674F9-F4BE-429C-AF3E-E634011F3A12.thumb.jpeg.307b25321413a3e4c88a00bad6f71f03.jpeg

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:48 AM, SeaWolf said:

The steel/ Platinum with rhodium dial has an almost iced quality to it. The second had and yacht master text really pops vs the similar tone of the rest of the bracelet, case, bezel and dial.

It's a fantastic use of color. It might be the best use of contrast in the Rolex catalog or at least the most dramatic imo. 

I have a YM 16622 which I bought app. 10 years and it's probably the most versatile watch that I have owned. The grey/neutral/understated look pretty much suits whatever else you are wearing and it means you can just put it on and forget about it. I've also worn it for a whole summer on a Nato-strap (grey/navy) and that worked really well also IMHO - and the funny thing was that very few people recognised it as a Rolex that way (but the few that did normally struck up some interesting watch-geek conversation afterwards :) ).

Dave - I like the way you're thinking. To echo an earlier comment, though, I'm all about a deployant...the whole tang buckle thing for me is a PITA.  Just my two bits.

So....I had another watch adventure at the office.  Didn't realize a friend I worked with in my last job at the company had gone down the watch rabbit hole.  We were working an opportunity that he needed my input on and I look up as he's using a dry marker on the board...A. Lange.  I speak up...is that a Lange?  He goes, you know this watch?  Oh my...in two shakes of a lamb's tale I had this watch on my wrist.  Stunning! 

I am officially broken...

HS

Lange 1 yellow gold.jpg

• Like 2

Because my guess is any 20mm strap could be used with this end link for Rolex I’ve recently seen Sam, I assume a strap with a Rolex Deployant Clasp could also be used.

As for ALS, imo all the watches they do look amazing, but even if I were rich, I’d still get the saxonia thin 37mm I have because I just love the way it looks, although if I was nitpicking I’d prefer one in platinum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave R said:

Because my guess is any 20mm strap could be used with this end link for Rolex I’ve recently seen Sam, I assume a strap with a Rolex Deployant Clasp could also be used.

As for ALS, imo all the watches they do look amazing, but even if I were rich, I’d still get the saxonia thin 37mm I have because I just love the way it looks, although if I was nitpicking I’d prefer one in platinum.

Dave,

One thing I would love is a quick release strap setup for my watches like Cartier does say for the Santos.  Thereby facilitating jumping between say a link bracelet and an alligator bracelet.  

If you find a link for the 39mm R.O.P., please let me know.  I haven’t really thought about messing with the link bracelet as it is so unbelieveably comfortable and I really enjoy the non-shiny finish, but one never knows.  Variety is the spice...

HS

3 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Dave, If you find a link for the 39mm R.O.P., please let me know.  I haven’t really thought about messing with the link bracelet as it is so unbelieveably comfortable and I really enjoy the non-shiny finish, but one never knows.  Variety is the spice...

HS

I’ve seen these end links for most Rolex models Sam, but not for a ROP, but hopefully one will become available for that very nice ( IMO ) Rolex.

• Like 1

Although I really like the GSQ, at the time getting it ( January ) the watch I much preferred for the same purpose ( wearing while playing snooker and pool ) was a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm, but while I did have the money to get that Rolex, there were/are other things that need doing, however because a ROP is my second dream watch I thought you only live once so frig it.

What this means is I’ve used that GSQ as part exchange for a ROP39 Rhodium dial, and those other things will just have to wait.

About the dial colour, there are only two I like on the OP, blue and that rhodium, but what made me decide on rhodium is it has blue accents, whereas the blue dial has green which to me doesn’t look as good.

Been told I should be receiving that Rolex tomorrow, so I’m looking forward to that. ?

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1