Watches

Dusty Chalk

14 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Best part of Rolex announcements this year is the suggestion from Rolex that we go to our local AD to try on the new sports models..

Oh my god.  Somebody reads Hodinkee! I mean, right? I have an excellent relationship with my AD, and I would be laughed out if I went in and wanted to try something. 

6 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Not my thing, ER, but I'm sure many Rolex aficionados were pleased.

HS 

It's not like I'm going to buy one...

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

Hodinkee did a good job covering things as they hit this year. 

I really hope they can get some leaks from whatever went on behind closed doors in Zurich.

My local Omega AD has not let anything slip if info has filtered to those who didn't attend.

I tried this on last Friday.. I liked it quite a bit but not enough. My AD wanted to bet me that my friend would buy it. I walk into the operating room on Monday and I hear some one calling my name from down the hall way. It's my buddy saying "guess what I bought". 

He shows me a pic because he is very strategically not wearing it because he told his wife he wouldn't buy any more watches for a while..

IMG_20190323_120425.jpg

Oh yeah and side note to watch news and social media. I scored the opening wrist shot on watches tonight With Tim on the watch box studios YouTube channel. IDK how many here watch Tim's stuff but I like him. I had previously gotten a shot on with my 2018 seamaster diver 300m and BHSE (tube glow and lume glow) 

Edit: just left my local Rolex AD and had them put me on the list for the new Batman. I am also on the list for a sky dweller. They had a gv blo milly and an airking in the case. They just sold a TT sub, so maybe supply is getting better and I have a chance of getting one of those watches before 2025.

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 3

Today I received the package that strap I ordered for use on my Rolex OP39 was supposed to be in, but with no strap, there was an outer plastic bag from Royal Mail with their apologies, so obviously on its way to me some thieving bastard has taken it.

I’ve been in contact with the person that did me that strap and he’s starting an investigation, in the meantime he’s refunded the cost of that strap to my PayPal account, unfortunately he’s not ready to do me a new one with this happening, but hopefully will eventually.

• Sad 2

Because I couldn’t wait to see how the AK end links look on my OP39, I ended up buying a cheap strap, and I’m undecided whether I prefer the end links/strap look or Rolex bracelet. Comfort wise I find the strap is better than the bracelet, so think I’ll keep the strap on and wait a better quality one.

54C8DF87-9E69-4728-98E6-D7FA8232734E.thumb.jpeg.d1dda8f371670c70375565aca56d5a96.jpeg6A154B18-7AD6-4FB8-AA26-7C5A89744DB3.thumb.jpeg.eddf2ab6756d9845ae0a2d16bfb2d9fd.jpegC9CA146A-BA82-4C00-98EF-E1CDE70713C5.thumb.jpeg.72cda0de6e609718a66b42d6a6eb1d03.jpeg10234C03-E13B-4655-8E63-51D5B731E9A2.thumb.jpeg.2cf02c2fe0a29f091522fff5f989ac09.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

I like it better on bracelet.

Yeah but with a high quality strap, it should look and feel much better than that cheap one used, and if I don’t hear anything from that Russian guy, then I might see about getting an alligator ( black ) strap from a UK place that’s done that in the photo.

295FDED3-2BD9-47DD-BF57-24D427EA4B6E.thumb.jpeg.ab75f36641d90a20e519b756295df7e8.jpeg

To be honest, I do prefer dress watches, and although an OP looks kind of dress like, a Rolex Cellini ( 50509 ) is, plus it’s supposed to be just as durable, so sometime in the future I think I’ll get one.

868BEDE8-2F62-4BEA-84F1-CCF4D5AE9028.thumb.jpeg.25f7ddf2986ee0ddf4c54fe2b600df2c.jpeg

Edited by Dave R

After trying my OP with a leather strap, and being undecided if I preferred it to the bracelet, I feel that Rolex model is best suited with the bracelet, yes I find a strap is more comfortable, but its bracelet isn’t uncomfortable, so I’ll have the bracelet put back on.

40 minutes ago, Dave R said:

After trying my OP with a leather strap, and being undecided if I preferred it to the bracelet, I feel that Rolex model is best suited with the bracelet, yes I find a strap is more comfortable, but its bracelet isn’t uncomfortable, so I’ll have the bracelet put back on.

The bracelet is the way to go, but it's worth the experimentation.

• Like 1

My ideal watch would have an easily exchangeable bracelet/strap system like Cartier offers with the Santos (QuickSwitch).  

Dave - you do you.  I think the watch could look good with the correct hide strap and I think black alligator in a semi-matte/gloss would be lovely.  I do agree with the others that I prefer the bracelet.  I can honestly say mine is sooooo comfortable.  Love the 39mm size and feel.  Putting a strap on it has not occurred to me as I love the brushed oyster bracelet.

In unrelated news, a gent at the office was contacted by his AD indicating he had a new GMT II Pepsi in hand with the Jubilee bracelet.  The gent bought it at the risk of divorce...quite the watch habit he has.  Wife agreed he could keep it if it went in the safe until his upcoming birthday.  He busted it out of the safe and brought it to the office the following day at the request of his fellow watch geeks and I was allowed to don it.  A few things jumped out at me.  First, the blue and red were darker than I expected and, for me personally, more tasteful.  The brighter colors are a bit much in my eyes.  Second, it was lighter and wore much smaller/comfortably than I expected...by a large margin.  Third, the cyclops date window wasn't as bothersome as I expected although I only sported it for a few second.  I think I could own one...LOL.  Very nice piece that had me thinking on it the rest of that day.

HS

Rolex GMT II Pepsi w jubilee.jpg

Although the OP does look better with its bracelet, I’ve decided not to have it put back on, instead I’ve enquired about an alligator strap from that place in the UK, however my query isn’t about it in black, it’s what this place calls storm grey which looks a similar colour to the OP Rhodium dial.

Getting this strap makes it so the AK end links won’t become obsolete, which I’m happy about.

5EE383E6-364B-4AA0-B137-C698174BD85C.thumb.jpeg.60ecf262b87b8b5b0b097bec396288b8.jpeg

On that strap is a deployment buckle, which is what I’m going for, but in satin finish.

Edited by Dave R

28 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

I agree.  Looks great.  

Dave - if you want to play around a bit on a site, check out ABPconcept.paris.  I was doing so yesterday and I found it an easy site to use and useful for some context / visuals.

Best of luck.

HS

Thanks for your ABPconcept.paris. recommendation Sam, I’ll have a look, however this place in the UK ( Equus Leather ) is only about an hour from where I live, and with it being in England I’ll have no 20% import VAT to pay, so I think I’ll get one from there.

I haven’t got a reply to the message I sent, but according to their website, from placing an order for a watch strap to delivery is 8 to 10 weeks depending on how busy they are.

That length of time does seem a bit long, but on their website it says quality takes time, which is reassuring to know. ?

Edited by Dave R

9 hours ago, Dave R said:

Thanks for your ABPconcept.paris. recommendation Sam, I’ll have a look, however this place in the UK ( Equus Leather ) is only about an hour from where I live, and with it being in England I’ll have no 20% import VAT to pay, so I think I’ll get one from there.

I haven’t got a reply to the message I sent, but according to their website, from placing an order for a watch strap to delivery is 8 to 10 weeks depending on how busy they are.

That length of time does seem a bit long, but on their website it says quality takes time, which is reassuring to know. ?

That's not really much longer than I wait for custom straps from my maker, and he's my friend.  It does take time.

got a haircut today... right next to the salon is the local Rolex AD. 

I stopped in for a look in the case. They still had the milly Z blue that came in with the last months shipment, but they had sold the Air King. They got a SS yacht master 2 in their most recent shipment, which was in the case. They also told me that they are regularly getting Subs and Date subs(not hulks) on their shipments now. GMTs, skydwellers, seadwellers, exlporers(both), millys, yacht masters and air kings remain inconsistent.  

Rumors of rolex increasing output may be accurate. 

• Like 1