Watches

Dusty Chalk

3 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Sam, you do realize you can just get a Santos, right? They go great with Adidas sandals. 

IMG_0009.jpeg

You, sir, are bad for my bank account...LOL.

Yes, I've looked at those more often than I'd like to admit.  I'm afraid to go try one on for fear of leaving with it.  I think it would be a TT or the gold...I like the gold with the alligator strap other than the price tag.  Perhaps the TT would scratch the itch as I have both the Speedy and the 39mm Oyster Perpetual in stainless and I'm hoping for a Daytona in stainless.  

Given my car fetish I hope I exercise some self restraint...

HS

• Like 1

Do they have a Santos with leather strap?

50 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

got a haircut today... right next to the salon is the local Rolex AD. 

I stopped in for a look in the case. They still had the milly Z blue that came in with the last months shipment, but they had sold the Air King. They got a SS yacht master 2 in their most recent shipment, which was in the case. They also told me that they are regularly getting Subs and Date subs(not hulks) on their shipments now. GMTs, skydwellers, seadwellers, exlporers(both), millys, yacht masters and air kings remain inconsistent.  

Rumors of rolex increasing output may be accurate. 

Wow..the local Rolex ADs here have almost empty counters save for some ladies Datejust and the such. Even 39mm OPs are out of stock. Are these really that hot now?

On the Explorer 2, is it true they have ceased production on them? The polar dials seem to be more in demand as compared to the black dial, which was quite the opposite years back when the first iteration of the Explorer 2 was released.

From late last year 12/2018, in the Caribbean and Mexico OP 39s in white, black, Rhodium and Red grape were in cases. My local AD hasn't seen one in the last 3 shipments. 

On the Explorer 2 I saw multiple locations in the Caribbean and Mexico with both dials in stock and in the case. My AD has not seen them in the last 2 shipments. Despite all the rumors Explorer 2s are still in production and listed by Rolex. 

Same goes with the GV milly....... and the Cellini not that anyone cares.

if you want to know what is in production check www.rolex.com if nothing else they keep that up to date. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Do they have a Santos with leather strap?

Of course, that is what we are talking about.  I need to send mine to my strap maker, to see if he can make me a Horween Shell strap on the Cartier end links, as the straps, while very high quality, aren't vegetable tanned, so I can't wear them. 

IMG_0010.jpeg

3 hours ago, HemiSam said:

You, sir, are bad for my bank account...LOL.

Yes, I've looked at those more often than I'd like to admit.  I'm afraid to go try one on for fear of leaving with it.  I think it would be a TT or the gold...I like the gold with the alligator strap other than the price tag.  Perhaps the TT would scratch the itch as I have both the Speedy and the 39mm Oyster Perpetual in stainless and I'm hoping for a Daytona in stainless.  

Given my car fetish I hope I exercise some self restraint...

HS

Honestly?  If I had it to do over again, I'd still get it in steel. It is the original aviation watch, and it keeps it a tool watch, in steel. My mother bought this watch for me, right before I had my cancer surgery (for what that was worth), and she offered to get me the two-tone that was in stock.  It was nice, but I am glad with my choice. The two-tone, btw, uses this really gorgeous yellow gold that is nearly white, but not quite.  The Santos is my favorite watch, even taking into account sentiment with some of my others.

Edited by EdipisReks1

Then it is settled Rossliew. With your steel allergy you must get a solid gold Rolex! No wait on those...

The deep sea has a titanium case back, you could get one of those and put it on a leather strap. The deep sea is tall though, I got rid of mine for that reason. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grawk said:

Ah, nickel.  How do you deal with the watch back?

No kidding, right? Anyway, Rossliew: the steel Rolex uses, 904L, has more Nickel in it than regular old 316L, but it's tightly bound.  I know people with severe nickel allergies who wear Rolex watches with no problem. I am allergic to both nickel and chrome, to the point where chrome tanned leather, like that Cartier strap, gives me a rash within 5 minutes, and I have never had a problem with a Rolex.

21 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Of course, that is what we are talking about.  I need to send mine to my strap maker, to see if he can make me a Horween Shell strap on the Cartier end links, as the straps, while very high quality, aren't vegetable tanned, so I can't wear them. 

IMG_0010.jpeg

Honestly?  If I had it to do over again, I'd still get it in steel. It is the original aviation watch, and it keeps it a tool watch, in steel. My mother bought this watch for me, right before I had my cancer surgery (for what that was worth), and she offered to get me the two-tone that was in stock.  It was nice, but I am glad with my choice. The two-tone, btw, uses this really gorgeous yellow gold that is nearly white, but not quite.  The Santos is my favorite watch, even taking into account sentiment with some of my others.

Yes, honestly.  I get the fetish with "tool" watches.  I simply think the watch in yellow gold with an alligator strap or the TT with the bracelet reminiscent of how I think about the Santos from years past (and will come back as history repeats itself) is where my preference lies.  Having every watch I own in stainless would be dull...

HS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

Yes, honestly.  I get the fetish with "tool" watches.  I simply think the watch in yellow gold with an alligator strap or the TT with the bracelet reminiscent of how I think about the Santos from years past (and will come back as history repeats itself) is where my preference lies.  Having every watch I own in stainless would be dull...

HS

Hey, I'd love a gold one, too :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grawk said:

a steel allergy is solidly something I didn't think was possible.

Ah, nickel.  How do you deal with the watch back?

I can't wear it for long that's all. A day or two continuosly max. Then I have to wear it on the other wrist. 

Also why I mostly wear Swatch now. 

16 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

No kidding, right? Anyway, Rossliew: the steel Rolex uses, 904L, has more Nickel in it than regular old 316L, but it's tightly bound.  I know people with severe nickel allergies who wear Rolex watches with no problem. I am allergic to both nickel and chrome, to the point where chrome tanned leather, like that Cartier strap, gives me a rash within 5 minutes, and I have never had a problem with a Rolex.

Hmm.. That makes me happy to know. There's an Explorer 2 (the earlier version with thin GMT hand) that I'm eyeing. 

@SeaWolf a DSSD is way out of my budget unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

If I couldn't wear steel this is what I would get

omega-seamaster-300-master-co-axial-titanium-3.jpeg

All titanium and being Omega you should be able to get a good discount.

Edit: the aqua Terra is also available in titanium.

om694_im.jpg

Those are indeed beautiful watches in a simplistic way. I would change the straps as i'd be anal seeing the titanium bracelet being scratched all over the place :p

They are close in harness, SS and grade 5 titanium. It is very important to note that these watches and bracelets are grade 5 which is significantly harder than the more common and easily worked grade 2. For instance you can't polish grade 2 because it's so soft.

But if you don't want the bracelet I know from the factory you can get the diver 300 on a strap. You can probably get the aqua terra on a strap too but I haven't seen it that way. Omega also has an enormous selection of factory straps, NATO, rubber, leather..

It's also cheaper if you opt not to get the bracelet, but the bracelet would help resale even if you don't use it.

• Like 1

For a pint of reference my Omega dealer gives me 25% off new high demand watches, like my 2018 seamaster professional that I got from the first shipment he received after release. Then 33 to 40% on older or hard to sell watches. Both the ones I suggested fail into the later category.