Watches

Dusty Chalk

3 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Thanks for the feedback, HS. Looks like a very nice first Omega watch to have with an affordable entry price. Only quibble is it doesn't have a clear case back 

I'm really not familiar at all with movements except for hearing common names like ETA. I suppose a slight drift in accuracy is very well acceptable even quartz watches are not entirely accurate. It's just the consistency that I'm most concerned about more so if u buy an expensive watch and it doesn't tell me accurate time. Well, I do appreciate that some buy watches not to tell time ?

The movements were good enough for NASA. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

If accuracy is a very high priority maybe have a look at GS and their spring drive? The attention to detail from GS is top notch.  They have their own style too, definitely a different flavor than the swiss. 

The craftsmanship from GS is superb.  I want to love these watches.  There is something clinical about them that has kept me from acquiring one thus far.  The colored dials on the Elegance Collection helped warm things up for me.  Stunning work and aesthetics. Not enough to make me what to take the leap, but a much needed foray IMO.

HS

10 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

If accuracy is a very high priority maybe have a look at GS and their spring drive? The attention to detail from GS is top notch.  They have their own style too, definitely a different flavor than the swiss. 

Yes, the Spring Drive does have a good reputation for high accuracy. Only issue is we don't have an authorised dealer locally who could service SDs should any issues arise so that is a consideration.

9 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

The movements were good enough for NASA. 

Point taken. Good enough for space = good enough for earth :)

9 hours ago, HemiSam said:

The craftsmanship from GS is superb.  I want to love these watches.  There is something clinical about them that has kept me from acquiring one thus far.  The colored dials on the Elegance Collection helped warm things up for me.  Stunning work and aesthetics. Not enough to make me what to take the leap, but a much needed foray IMO.

HS

Thus far, only the snow flake dial has captured by interest..the others are pretty...unexciting. I don't doubt the craftsmanship that goes into making these watches but somehow, their simplicity is not attracting me to them, yet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HemiSam said:

HS

I find them to just be too damned thick.

7 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Yes, the Spring Drive does have a good reputation for high accuracy. Only issue is we don't have an authorised dealer locally who could service SDs should any issues arise so that is a consideration.

It's my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that the Spring Drive watches mostly have to go back to Japan regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

It's my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that the Spring Drive watches mostly have to go back to Japan regardless.

Oh well...that's just a bummer. I'd prefer something with lesser hassle in terms of maintenance. Or buy and throw like a Swatch :p 

LOL.  You buy something as high tech and hand made as the spring drive and you'll have to deal with some up keep even if it is Japanese made...

I want to love the GS's but I'm not there.  They sure are working hard to progress the value of the brand...can't take that away from them.

HS

8 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Idk if the new Pepsi will eventually grow on me,  but the bezel color just isn't right to me. The aluminum one just looks more 'real' somehow. 

I was surprised how much I liked the newer bezel.  Darker / deeper colors made it more approachable for my taste.  Different strokes...

HS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think tomorrow (well, today, as it's 1:30 AM) is going to be a Speedy Thursday, but I'm unsure of which one. Empty spot there on the left because I'm wearing the Reverso.IMG_0440.thumb.jpeg.7ccb3cb714a83b73fb4be82edb3a02f7.jpeg

Those watches get wound at the same time, a few times a week (it's such a pleasure to wind a manual watch, and I'm lucky to own three).  They are both well within COSC. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I think tomorrow (well, today, as it's 1:30 AM) is going to be a Speedy Thursday, but I'm unsure of which one. Empty spot there on the left because I'm wearing the Reverso.IMG_0440.thumb.jpeg.7ccb3cb714a83b73fb4be82edb3a02f7.jpeg

Those watches get wound at the same time, a few times a week (it's such a pleasure to wind a manual watch, and I'm lucky to own three).  They are both well within COSC. 

Being a watch noob, i can't tell what's the difference between the 2 Speedys haha

30 minutes ago, Rossliew said:

Being a watch noob, i can't tell what's the difference between the 2 Speedys haha

One was produced in January of 1969 and sold that same year, the other was produced in September of 2017 and was sold (grey market, and then sold to me brand new) in 2018. Both are two owner watches, I guess. The dealer of the pre-moon was a superb watchmaker, since retired. It keeps excellent time. 

The Omega extract is worth it, by the way, for vintage watches. Without that extract, I wouldn’t have known what exact Omega box to buy, as they had changed them up right around when this 145.022-69 was being made. 

I wear the old one a lot more than I wear the new one. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

4 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

One was produced in January of 1969 and sold that same year, the other was produced in September of 2017 and was sold (grey market, and then sold to me brand new) in 2018. Both are two owner watches, I guess. The dealer of the pre-moon was a superb watchmaker, since retired. It keeps excellent time. 

The Omega extract is worth it, by the way, for vintage watches. Without that extract, I wouldn’t have known what exact Omega box to buy, as they had changed them up right around when this 145.022-69 was being made. 

I wear the old one a lot more than I wear the new one. 

Thanks for that nice bit of history on the watches. Of all the Speedys, i prefer the broad arrow handed ones like the FOIS. Not too much of a fan of the pencil hands. But a nice watch with a lot of history and what the watch guys say "providence" behind them :) 

On another note, i'm now looking at the new Bell & Ross green dialed Bronze Diver BR 03-92 and the Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton. 

Anyone have comments/opinions (good or bad) about both these watches? Both are within my budget and though not a Rolex or Omega, they seem to catch my eye more than the others,..

4 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Thanks for that nice bit of history on the watches. Of all the Speedys, i prefer the broad arrow handed ones like the FOIS. Not too much of a fan of the pencil hands. But a nice watch with a lot of history and what the watch guys say "providence" behind them :) 

On another note, i'm now looking at the new Bell & Ross green dialed Bronze Diver BR 03-92 and the Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton. 

Anyone have comments/opinions (good or bad) about both these watches? Both are within my budget and though not a Rolex or Omega, they seem to catch my eye more than the others,..

I like the B&R's, but they are WAY to big for me.  It's the square dimensions one needs to account for so seeing it in the metal is critical.  I'd love to have a Tag Monaco, but it'd have to be an older one or the new retro one coming out...and even then it's a bit on the large side for my wrist.  

The Zenith is interesting.  Looks nice with either the rubber strap or stainless.  There's a lot going on in the face so keeping it simple for some balance would be my only suggestion.

HS

44 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

I like the B&R's, but they are WAY to big for me.  It's the square dimensions one needs to account for so seeing it in the metal is critical.  I'd love to have a Tag Monaco, but it'd have to be an older one or the new retro one coming out...and even then it's a bit on the large side for my wrist.  

The Zenith is interesting.  Looks nice with either the rubber strap or stainless.  There's a lot going on in the face so keeping it simple for some balance would be my only suggestion.

HS

The B&R Divers look nice and unique although at its retail price, i could get a pre-owned basic Rolex (OP39 blue dial) but the Rolex would look really, really pedestrian beside it. The new Autavia Isograph looks interesting but being a Tag, i do find them over priced here.

As for the Zenith, i actually prefer the skeleton version. Nice open worked dial, thin profile, titanium case and the cool blue croc/rubber strap has me drooling over it. 

Difficult choice for sure, both coming in at a similar price point.

Keep in mind if you go with a bronze watch, you may not have to worry about scratches because of the extent that bronze oxidizes,  but it's a soft metal vs steel or grade 5 titanium and care must be taken.  

I think as a collection of 1, a driver of some type is a good choice.. or at least a watch with decent water resistance.  Even if it will never go swimming.  It is nice to never have to worry about it getting wet.

Edit: in the current collection the mkii  speedy is really over looked.  It's non round so I get it,  but it's automatic,  coaxial and 100m water resistant. I like the look a lot but it's not for everyone.

Edited by SeaWolf

4 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Keep in mind if you go with a bronze watch, you may not have to worry about scratches because of the extent that bronze oxidizes,  but it's a soft metal vs steel or grade 5 titanium and care must be taken.  

I think as a collection of 1, a driver of some type is a good choice.. or at least a watch with decent water resistance.  Even if it will never go swimming.  It is nice to never have to worry about it getting wet.

Edit: in the current collection the mkii  speedy is really over looked.  It's non round so I get it,  but it's automatic,  coaxial and 100m water resistant. I like the look a lot but it's not for everyone.

Thanks for the advice on the bronze case. Speaking of Speedys, I do have to add that the FOIS is also within the same price point and it looks nice as well as having the broad arrow hands that I prefer. 

On 5/26/2019 at 1:27 AM, SeaWolf said:

A talented watch maker can adjust almost any base caliber into a very accurate state. 

Many companies in house calibers are inferior to off the shelf ETA or lemania movements.

The 321 that went to the moon is lemania if i am not mistaken. 

Oh and I think all of the holy trinity brands have used lemania movements until relatively recently or up to this day. 

I find the way Rolex went "in house" hilarious.  They just went and slowly moved aegler from independent to making movements exclusively for Rolex, then finally to fully acquiring the company. How are they any different than what they were doing before? Fuck the movement in any sub today is exactly the same the off the shelf one they were buying from alger starting in the 80s(minus the new hair spring).

Same goes for most of swatch "in house" its really just ETA doing to the work(probably a good thing). Some exceptions obviously.  

Don't get caught up in that BS.

Do you reckon it's possible to get the omega service centre to regulate the FOIS to cosc levels of accuracy? Just a crazy thought..