Watches

Dusty Chalk

2 hours ago, sbelyo said:

This thread took me down a two hour rabbit hole and made me real sorry I sold my Sub Mariner.  That being said does anyone have a Tudor Black Bay, and how do you like it?

I have gotten to play with them but I do not own one. They have a really nice feel to them. The movement in them is quite nice PR and antimagnetic. The clasp is also very nice. They overall are thicker and feel more substantial on the wrist compared to a sub. But finish IMO is a noticeable step down from rolex. 

7 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Keep in mind if you go with a bronze watch, you may not have to worry about scratches because of the extent that bronze oxidizes,  but it's a soft metal vs steel or grade 5 titanium and care must be taken.  

I think as a collection of 1, a driver of some type is a good choice.. or at least a watch with decent water resistance.  Even if it will never go swimming.  It is nice to never have to worry about it getting wet.

Edit: in the current collection the mkii  speedy is really over looked.  It's non round so I get it,  but it's automatic,  coaxial and 100m water resistant. I like the look a lot but it's not for everyone.

Cool watch the MkII.  I like some of the older stuff of this flavor.  Only thing is it is a fairly large case.

HS

3 hours ago, sbelyo said:

This thread took me down a two hour rabbit hole and made me real sorry I sold my Sub Mariner.  That being said does anyone have a Tudor Black Bay, and how do you like it?

Way too thick. Even thicker than the Tudor “big block” that I owned, and that watch was already too thick (though I liked it a lot otherwise, and should have kept it longer, simply because they have gone way up in value.) I’d probably own one, otherwise. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Speaking of thick watches..

Had my pam out at the water park with my kids on Wednesday. Love the 10 dollar silicone strap i got off amazon for it.  

20190605_155849.jpg

And even though it's been here for a month I haven't been able to wear my planet ocean big blue because it's a birthday present from the wife.  But my birthdays this Monday,  so i get it today so I can wear it for dinner with her tonight.

20190608_114724.jpg

• Like 2

Its a fun watch especially for the summer. The blue can look quite different depending on the lighting. It goes from a deep navy to a rich royal blue. The rubber strap is also supper comfortable and perfect for hot weather; I love that you can wear rubber straps relatively loose and the watch wont move because the rubber grabs your skin. I also think they did the GMT function well on this particular watch with the inner chapter ring, that way you still keep a functional dive bezel. The numerals, indices, Omega txt, Omega logo and 'GMT' are all applied not printed. And something that other manufacturers are finally picking up on: a dial colored date wheel. 

This watch does highlight one issue I have with my 2018 Seamaster diver 300m.. I have the bracelet and a factory NATO for the 300m, but I would love to have a rubber strap for it too. However unlike the factory Planet Ocean rubber strap which has a wonderful titanium and ceramic deployment, the diver 300m factory rubber strap is a pin buckle. At this price point the Diver 300m should also have a deployment. 

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 1

My issues with pin buckles are three :

1: I like the security of putting on and taking off a watch with a deployment

2: I find the action of the deployment faster

3: I am far to stupid to remember which hole is the correct one, seriously is fuck this up all the time and have to adjust after about 20 minutes.

• Haha 1

Yea the factory strap for my PAM has a butterfly deployment, those are the best to get on and off and comfort is very good.

This omega is a single folding, but because the extra strap is tucked under the clasp none of the folding clasp its self ever touches my wrist. Also the dual finish(satin and polished) on the ceramic clasp is a nice touch. 

20190609_123142[1].jpg

The curve of the clasp matching the curve of your wrist is important but a roll of the dice from brand to brand.

Edited by SeaWolf

On 6/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, SeaWolf said:

Yea the factory strap for my PAM has a butterfly deployment, those are the best to get on and off and comfort is very good.

This omega is a single folding, but because the extra strap is tucked under the clasp none of the folding clasp its self ever touches my wrist. Also the dual finish(satin and polished) on the ceramic clasp is a nice touch. 

The curve of the clasp matching the curve of your wrist is important but a roll of the dice from brand to brand.

The only ones that I've tried that really work for me are Cartier's.  Unfortunately, the leather is chromed, so I can't war it (and I haven't sent it off to my strap maker yet to see if he can reuse the end links to make me one in Shell Cordovan).

Edited by EdipisReks1

Haven’t got that custom alligator strap I ordered just over two months ago to use on my Oyster Perpetual yet,  but was told it would take 8 to 10 weeks, so should have it soon.

Now with what happening to the strap I ordered from Russia, where it was thieved on its way to me, I’ve decided I’ll be travelling to the place that’s doing the alligator strap with it being around an hour 20 min from where I live, so there’ll be no worries about this one being thieved.

Since getting that Rolex OP and it being automatic, I’m wearing it much more than my Saxonia, and because of that I’ve had the ALS alligator strap fitted back on my Saxonia. I was using another strap to prolong the wear of that ALS strap, but with me now wearing that saxonia occasionally, I thought it only right to have the original back on.

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the strap on the OP.

They look to be well made straps from where I’m getting it Reks, so looking forward to having the one ordered fitted, change of plan though.

I’ve been told thin spring bars will be needed to keep those end links I got on, and I’ve decided I’d like the Rolex OP spring bars used, which means those end link may have to come off.

The reason I’m wanting the OP spring bars used, is because they look to be the same size as those on a Cellini, and after seeing  photos of a Rolex Cellini 50509 with Rhodium dial and loving its looks, I’ll be selling my OP for a Cellini with Rhodium dial.

I’ll be getting one from a Rolex dealer in Leeds ( a city 11 miles from where I live ) but they won’t have one in for several months, which gives me time to save.

One of the good things about a Cellini is its lug width is the same as the OP, 20mm, so that custom alligator strap can be used.

Anyway to be honest, like said by others here which I agree, the Oyster Perpetual looks best with a bracelet, and the only reason I’m using a strap is I find them much more comfortable.

Some photos of that Cellini with Rhodium dial.

646016F3-79B4-4080-8F05-AEF43CAC7565.thumb.jpeg.5a6ca437952d4cac7ed729b29716e0ff.jpeg384F050D-BA01-40C9-AAF9-2D3EA69D24FE.thumb.jpeg.87184d11153c4178edde70a7e8ae2238.jpegE0D6ABB6-4415-4578-95C2-EA8816287B28.thumb.jpeg.5fdf4467b81764078160ef04de680355.jpeg238D0A0E-AF29-48A2-A75E-CEA8F7CBB193.thumb.jpeg.da9b23e76003a336cdcfc44e279ed224.jpeg

66EA767A-21DE-4604-B096-98FAC854F5CC.thumb.jpeg.312de02bfdd89b72449e19bec509078e.jpeg

The photo above is the Cellini with a back strap and the dark grey one I’m getting, I’ve put them together for comparison, and to me the dark grey strap should look nice but more importantly is a different colour to that on my Saxonia, so I won’t have two watches looking similar. ?

547CD6EB-8AA5-4320-9577-B4B1F2556099.thumb.jpeg.45f6f2f730cf697b40faad4b88479441.jpeg