Watches

Dusty Chalk

It’s true they do look different, but I was referring to them both having a silver dial and black strap, however in the last message the Rolex dealer sent me, he said that because the Cellini is becoming more popular, and a dark grey dial is well liked, there’s a possibility Rolex might be doing a Cellini with a dark grey dial.

The same dealer also told me he’d like to see my Oyster Perpetual with the storm grey alligator strap, and my Saxonia, so I said I’ll pop through to Leeds when the strap’s fitted. 

@HemiSam, I used that Grand Seiko as part exchange for that Oyster Perpetual Sam, and with the OP’s movement being shock resistant and quite durable, I was told it would be ok to wear it while playing snooker and pool, which I am doing. The good thing about the Cellini is the same 3132 movement is used as that in the OP, so I can wear a Cellini while playing those two games, which I will be doing. 

The Rolex dealer did tell me that it could take up to 6 months before they have that Cellini 50509 with the Rhodium dial, so by that time Rolex might’ve come out with the same Cellini with a dark grey dial,  fingers crossed ??.

Since getting the Oyster Perpetual, I’ve been manual winding it every other day, and while I enjoy doing it, I do wonder if the unscrewing and screwing is doing any harm.

Now I’ve read some feel a watch winder is a great thing to have, whereas others think one is bad for a watch and a waste of money.

Whether that’s true I don’t know, but I like the idea of putting my Rolex in one when going to bed, and it being ready to wear when I get up, it would also be a place to store my Rolex.

I’ve been looking at different watch winders, and the one I like the most is that in the photos.

ED657620-B744-44E2-9A3C-D7383E50D416.thumb.jpeg.7862e0989b329159c9887d39147de835.jpeg93E92DA5-D9C8-42C1-A9BD-8E8E6514BEF3.thumb.jpeg.aef3f620c29ff7d4a028b89153cf2993.jpeg

It’s an Orbita Siena 1 burl Rotorwind, which imo not only looks very nice, but’s supposed to be well built.

Thoughts here would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

I see, Dave.  

As long as you’re comfortable using the watch for you billiards fun I certainly don’t see any harm in it.  I use my OP as it is meant to be used.  I tend to treat the Omega a bit more gently, especially given the alligator strap.

Beautiful winder.  I have one but don’t use it much.  Wolf brand in a Rolex green.

HS

10 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

I see, Dave.  

As long as you’re comfortable using the watch for you billiards fun I certainly don’t see any harm in it.  I use my OP as it is meant to be used.  I tend to treat the Omega a bit more gently, especially given the alligator strap.

Beautiful winder.  I have one but don’t use it much.  Wolf brand in a Rolex green.

HS

Thanks Sam.

There is no need to unscrew the crown, just give the watch a few shakes. There is also no harm in unscrewing the crown over and over; the twinlock is very well engineered, precisely machined, and very durable.  I do keep my automatics on a winder, but that's mostly because not all of mine have an easy date adjustment. That does look like a nice winder. I have Pangaeas (I'm using a four winder, at the moment, but I have others), which are well built, nearly silent, have excellent settings adjustment and look fine, but they don't look as nice as that one.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I have a watch winder, a wolf,  I also don't use it. I like seeing my watches in their box.  I take out mine wind them then set time / date when I switch at the beginning of the week. 

If I had a delicate annual or perpetual calendar from a top brand patek/lange/VC I would stick that on the winder out of necessity. 

In that vien, I love that new perpetual calendar from VC. Tragically my wife doesn't love me enough to let me buy it. 

Edit :: wearing this giant blue and orange thing has been oddly satisfying

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 1

The alligator strap is done and ready for me to collect, unfortunately I’m unable to do so atm because of circumstances, but hopefully will be collecting it in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Once I have it and if I’m happy, ( which I can’t see any reason why I wouldn’t ) I may end up asking for an alligator strap from the same place for my Saxonia, but obviously in black.

I may also ask Charlie if he could do me one with curved ends like in the photo, while still using straight spring bars.

6ABC89E3-0145-4015-BA0A-847B178CF5AE.thumb.jpeg.f0646674169904de8192560442385c36.jpeg

If Charlie can do me an alligator strap with curved ends, then I’ll be having the Lange buckle used, rather than a deployant buckle that’s going on the storm grey alligator strap. ?

Its interesting the relationship between the markings on the crowns and what rolex states as the water resistance.

There are a lot of rolex with stated 100m resistance that have the triplock crown, vs the double. 

There are some who speculate that these watches with the triplock crows are actually more resistant than what they say. 

58 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

Its interesting the relationship between the markings on the crowns and what rolex states as the water resistance.

There are a lot of rolex with stated 100m resistance that have the triplock crown, vs the double. 

There are some who speculate that these watches with the triplock crows are actually more resistant than what they say. 

Oh, they definitely are. The GMT2c, for instance, has a thinner back than the Sub, which is why it is rated the way it is. The GMT2c will easily go as far as the sub is rated, and the Sub will go way, way further. 

Went to the place today for that alligator strap and had it fitted there.

I like the strap a lot and it’s very well made, although I’m not so keen on the deployant buckle so think I’ll have a buckle I’ve spare fitted locally.

While there I asked the guy to use the Rolex spring bars, which meant those end link had to be removed, I’m happy with that though because it looks better without,  problem is those Rolex spring bars must be too thick because the strap is catching on the watch and leaving a mark, so tomorrow I’ll see about using thinner spring bars.

Here are some photos with one showing the mark.

850D8A3E-0184-4222-9427-F6BCA86B0FBA.thumb.jpeg.92c0b61932cca1a5d92bffd46b488c62.jpeg10BC41BB-2F1E-4D8E-B903-87DF8C783637.thumb.jpeg.928e8aa49251a8c621bb46b010133754.jpeg72F65058-9AEC-49F1-BAF2-B670D4B8857B.thumb.jpeg.fde3d36cdf3501420b6714445d0ae163.jpeg

• Like 3

Watch looks very nice, Dave.

Wore my OP all day in beach and sand.  Can't speak enough to how comfortable it wears with the oyster bracelet and how comfortable I felt taking into the sea knowing it was going to be perfectly fine under water.  Love this watch for all its simplicity, elegance and simple form / function.  It's just a great all a-rounder.    

HS

• Like 1

Been to my local watch repairer to try thinner spring bars with those end links, and the alligator strap didn’t even come close to fitting, he then removed those end links and tried just the thinner spring bars and the strap was still catching on the watch leaving a mark, so I had him put the bracelet back on.

Like Sam said the Rolex bracelet is comfortable so it won’t be coming off anymore.

As I’ve previously mentioned, I am eventually getting a Cellini Rhodium dial, and when the time comes I’ll have that alligator strap fitted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

A leather strap touching the head of a watch between the lugs is totally normal. It mostly means that it fits. 

When removing the bracelet, on the watch head there’s an edge sticking out which is where the strap is catching leaving that unsightly mark which I don’t like to see.

Now while I find the bracelet very comfortable, that’s only when my wrist is warm, when cold the bracelet is loose which I don’t like the feeling of, so Charlie has said he’d do me another strap but thinner, using thinner spring bars, he also said he’d try to get those end links to fit with this new strap, which would make it so the strap wasn’t catching any sharp edge.

I expect this new strap to take 8 to 10 weeks like the one before did.

I did say in my previous post that the bracelet wouldn’t be coming off anymore, but the whole point of me using a strap is because I find one much more comfortable, so I think I’ll  have the bracelet removed and use that one I still have until I have that new strap.

Because I don’t like the feeling of a bracelet loose, which happens when my wrist is cool, I’ve had that Alligator strap put back on, but this time using thinner spring bars.

Now while the strap is still catching, it’s only very slight, I also scuffed slightly all along the top of the strap so there’s no long just the centre mark.

Because I quite like the look of this scuff all along the top, I’ve decided I’m keeping this strap and no longer need another making which I’ve told Charlie this.

Anyway here’s how my Rolex looks now, but only one photo this time.?

509AF05D-2959-4AAA-B211-23C3FE043786.thumb.jpeg.3ea64bbbb8f7bc94541236f68df229bc.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave R said:

Because I don’t like the feeling of a bracelet loose, which happens when my wrist is cool

Yea I hear that.. to bad Rolex are such cheap asses and are unwilling to put a micro adjust on anything other than a sub or seadweller.  

Solid platinum Daytona with diamonds? nope, FU, you only get ez link. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Yea I hear that.. to bad Rolex are such cheap asses and are unwilling to put a micro adjust on anything other than a sub or seadweller.  

Solid platinum Daytona with diamonds? nope, FU, you only get ez link. 

Do you mean tool less? My GMT2c has micro adjust, but it requires a tool. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Yea those anchoring points in the clasp don't count.  Watch companies have been doing that for 50 years.  

Two most annoying things for me are:

1.  Tudor gives you a micro adjust in almost everything.

2. Rolex actually has IMO by a wide margin the best micro adjust out there.. but they only put it on the DSSD and new sea dweller 43(I think)

I loved it on my DSSD, adjust at any time with out taking the watch off and a long range of adjustment. 

While I really like that alligator strap on my OP, I’m not so keen on how the deployant buckle feels.

So I’ve just ordered that buckle in the photos.

868C8807-228C-4F03-BFF0-FDBBA0BC486E.thumb.jpeg.ac874f65e5535500840bc5c570350baa.jpegA624F424-FE5C-4588-AAA3-3AA237056EF5.thumb.jpeg.f781cba148985f8f20d8ec4ea835b3c6.jpeg416B9ADA-5D96-4A5E-9637-3EB0925BF53F.thumb.jpeg.320973e811b7190c24d23220564ab8e0.jpeg

Yes a buckle is going to put more stress on the strap with the bending than a deployant, but I’m ok with that.