Watches

Dusty Chalk

10 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I agree.  Rolex's business model is impressive in some regards, and obtuse in others.  Baffling why not empower the customer while charging for it.

HS

Keep in mind that Rolex isn't really a for-profit company, in the normal sense of the term. 

6 hours ago, Dave R said:

While I really like that alligator strap on my OP, I’m not so keen on how the deployant buckle feels.

So I’ve just ordered that buckle in the photos.

Yes a buckle is going to put more stress on the strap with the bending than a deployant, but I’m ok with that.

I prefer pin buckles anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaWolf said:

You can open pin buckles without putting much stress on the strap ifyou have the proper technique. 

Not sure what the proper technique is, but I’m ever so gentle when putting on and removing my saxonia, so I’ll do the same when I have that pin buckle on my OP.

I can also store both watches in the ALS box which I quite like the thought of.

Now as I’ve previously mentioned, I’m wearing the OP a lot more than the Saxonia, but that’s only because it’s automatic, so think I’ll get a Orbita Siena watchwinder and start wearing that Saxonia a lot more. 

14 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Keep in mind that Rolex isn't really a for-profit company, in the normal sense of the term. 

I prefer pin buckles anyway.

I hear you, but I find it jenky the way they go about things...which have varied over the years.  Successful without a doubt and impeccable craftsmanship, but at times it feels like they could care less about what the consumer would like.

HS

Didn’t know this, but apparently because the alligator strap I had made for my OP is for a deployant buckle, a pin buckle can’t be used without weakening part of the strap.

So it looks like that deployant buckle is saying where it is, I’m ok with that though because while not as comfortable as my Saxonia, I still find that deployant/strap more comfortable than the Rolex bracelet.

Just back from Aruba...lovely and easy trip.  Really like that the flights are direct and you clear U.S. Customs in Aruba so it's a domestic flight back.

The week there was great with the Rolex OP.  Took it off for bed and that's about it.  A fresh water rinse after ocean duty...that's all.  On that note, my Maui Jim sunglasses were also perfect for a laid back holiday...effective, high quality and low maintenance.  Tool shades...LOL.

I ordered the following several months back as a fun watch.  My older boy wore it the entire time in Aruba and fell in love.  I very much like the quick change beads of rice bracelet.  Very comfortable rubber strap as well.  Overall, nice build quality for the money.  As a pre-order, it came with the second strap at no charge if memory serves me.  Love the size and the blue rubber strap.  The retro lumen is growing on me, but it won't be for everyone.  Maybe I'll get to wear it one day...

HS

Gcogz9pNT6y3LDb0Mkui+w.jpg

8Q8JbeVZQ1irg2n8FUv9Yw.jpg

wllQgP81SQeIWAJdPxbBmw.jpg

TJ5q8Xl2TJmUVOasdc3IfA.jpg

nd4Z8Z6HRcWgr6J53OegsQ.jpg

CWYPG0tgS6WcHifKM%+uyQ.jpg

• Like 3

grawk,

I believe they are referring to those other than pre-ordered.  They are now selling stock which is great.  Hopefully they'll continue with their success.

I have to say that communications during the pre-order to ship process were very good.

HS

On 7/2/2019 at 7:32 AM, EdipisReks1 said:

I have a tegu lizard strap from the 1960s.  It's a watch strap, and seems fine. Why would you pull hard on a watch strap?

What I see people do wrong with straps is when buckling and unbuckling bending the strap way back over the pin buckle and I also see people kink the strap up in a loop while feeding it into and out of the minder.

The pin buckle is free to rotate up and down while not putting any stress on the strap.  The correct way to get it on and off is to take advantage of this while working the pin with your finger. The second minder loop slides.. so slide it. That helps a bunch with getting the strap through the first without bending it severely. 

Not doing this leads to wearing and cracking on the strap.  Taking these precautions and oiling/waxing a strap will lead to them lasting much longer while looking great.  This is especially important if you have a strap made of vintage leather. 

Went through to my local Rolex dealer to have a look at a Cellini 50509 Rhodiun dial they’d just got in, and took with me my Oyster Perpetual and Saxonia because one of the guys that works there wanted to have a look, mainly the Saxonia but John was interested in how my OP looked with the dark grey alligator strap.

The Cellini with the Rhodium dial is very nice imo,  but it’s a light Rhodium whereas my OP dial is dark Rhodium which I prefer, so I’ll just wait to see if Rolex do a Cellini 50509 with a dark Rhodium dial.

Not so good photo of the three together.

D89E9C4B-C59C-4F42-A551-24CBDE8F7B9C.thumb.jpeg.30ac475bc4a11d7177ac70e4d8b36cb0.jpeg

Couldn’t show the strap and watch face better on my OP because of the deployant buckle.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I really think a Saxonia is my next watch. God, it looks amazing even in potato quality photos, Dave :)

I hope you get a Saxonia Reks, because it is ( imo ) a beautiful watch.

‘The only downside is I won’t risk wearing it while doing anything active, but that’s the main reason I got the Oyster Perpetual.

Another great thing about the Saxonia, ( which could also be a problem ) is it’s extremely comfortable, in fact so comfortable a lot of the time I can’t feel it on, 

Anyway if/when you get one Reks please post some photos.