Watches

Dusty Chalk

I think both Reverso 1931 ( black dial ) and Saxonia ( white gold ) are very nice looking watches, but for me the look and comfort of the Saxonia slightly betters the Reverso,  however for versatility the Reverso easily wins, imo.

Been looking at the seamaster bullhead recently. The silver dial is really nice imo. Probably need to wait until Xmas though. 

Omega-Seamaster-Bullhead-Silver-Dial.jpg

It's either that or the tt speedy mkii. I don't have a chrono in my collection atm. 

Not that I time anything regularly, the only use my dive bezels get is when I need to time circ arrest cases. Actually did that on Saturday for the first time in a month. 

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 1

They appear to have a decent case maker and the movement is from a good maker but that's some serious cash to spend on a relatively unknown brand that is likely impossible to resell if you ever wanted too.. 

Sinn makes many watches that sell for around the same price. If I wanted a German watch for that price I would be shopping sinn. 

1 hour ago, SeaWolf said:

They appear to have a decent case maker and the movement is from a good maker but that's some serious cash to spend on a relatively unknown brand that is likely impossible to resell if you ever wanted too.. 

Sinn makes many watches that sell for around the same price. If I wanted a German watch for that price I would be shopping sinn. 

That's a good point as I tend to resell before I buy another.  I think I want the Baltic Aquascaphe in Black/Cream for my next watch at this point.  I just needed something to push me in that direction

Seawolf makes a good point.  If you like to punt / swap out then something that allows you to extract more value than not is a good call.

The Baltic is great value for money IMO.  I've worn it more than I expected given my other two primary options.  Strongly recommend getting both the rubber strap (super nice...I can only speak to the blue) and the beads of rice bracelet.  Having said that, if you needed to choose one I'd recommend the rubber strap.  It's that nice, even though you have the quick release on the beads of rice stainless.

Best of luck, sbelyo.

HS

Hemi what's the difference in price between the bracelet and strap. If you buy the watch with it VS trying to source the other after the fact?

Most brands rake you over the coals to get the bracelet after the fact.. At least that is my understanding, my experience is only with omega and technically not me but a friend who is a huge omega collector(20+ omegas). 

26 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

Hemi what's the difference in price between the bracelet and strap. If you buy the watch with it VS trying to source the other after the fact?

Most brands rake you over the coals to get the bracelet after the fact.. At least that is my understanding, my experience is only with omega and technically not me but a friend who is a huge omega collector(20+ omegas). 

SW,

I honestly couldn't say.  I purchased mine as a pre-release and they tossed in both the rubber and stainless for the same price.  It was priced in Euros and that's not a bad thing at the moment.

I'd bet it's not too bad given the watch was reasonably priced IMO.

HS

OK...off my arse and found it's 110 euros for the beads of rice, including VAT, and 36 euros for the rubber strap.

https://baltic-watches.com/en/accessories

Ok 

Omega is 300 more on the 300m on initial purchase to get the bracelet but it cost my buddy 800 to get the bracelet after the fact. 

I was quoted 150 for the rubber strap if I remember correctly. I didn't do it because it's a pin buckle. I'm holding out hope on a deployant for the 300m.

I did buy a nato from omega for my 300m but got the life of me I can't remember what I paid. 

The 300m is a beaut.  I've been ogling the stainless and cedna gold on black rubber strap far too much...  It's a bit too large at 42mm, but it sure is a great looking watch.

I only tried it on once while on vacation and I have to say I struggled with the pin buckle rubber strap.  I need to drive one again to see if it was simply a matter of my rum induced lack of fine motor skills...

HS

I really like mine, it was a gift from the wife. TT yellow gold with blue ceramic on the bracelet. My buddy got it right when they came in stock like I did, but he wanted SS black which our AD didn't have the bracelet version of thus he had to order it separately. The bracelet adds a lot of character to the watch imo. The micro adjust is also quite nice to have. 

My other omega was also a gift from the wife, the planet ocean big blue. 

Of the two the 300m is miles more wearable. The lugs are also pretty short so I feel that it wears closer to a 40 than a 42. It wears better than my 40mm Panerai luminor, the 300m actually feels smaller because the way it sits on the wrist. 

The planet ocean is a monolith and feels every bit it's size on the wrist Lol. The first comment I get from people when they hold it is "wow this is really heavy" that's not typical of a ceramic watch! It is more comfortable than my old rolex dssd. It hugs my wrist more so I don't hit it on things like I did with the dssd. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, the strap hasn't caused me any issues, so far.  The leather strap on the Santos gave me a rash within about 10 minutes. I really adore this watch.  I have wanted a Drive Extra-Flat since they were announced. I get 20% off at my local AD, on Cartier (thanks to my mother who has bought many pieces from them), which I think is reasonable.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, SeaWolf said:

Current generation rolex could step up the whole box, included cards, books etc. Especially on their higher end models. 

The boxes and things may get larger but the quality of the materials printing etc is just unimpressive compared to what other brands offer. 

See, I don't see it that way at all.  The giant Speedmaster luggage (I can't describe it any other way), for instance, just screams "inferiority complex," to me.  The shittiest modern luxury watch boxes I've experienced so far are Cartier; the clasps on the box break almost immediately, and they are just cheap.  It doesn't bother me: they don't need fancy boxes, because they are Cartier. The JLC ones are very nicely made (hardwood and calfskin), but they also aren't anything "special."  The Maurice LaCroix box I had on my Masterpiece was very nice, being made of zebrawood (later ones were zebrawood patterned resin), but they still just went into a storage box. I do rather imagine that somebody who has bought a Speedmaster Pro as their first good mechanical watch would be pretty damned impressed, though, upon opening it: it's certainly an involved unboxing.