Watches

Dusty Chalk

Unlikely, my last resort is always jewelry.

Don't feel bad for her, like I'm spending money she wouldn't. 

I have one vice, watches, she might complain a bit but she is an enabler since 50% of my collection are gifts from her.

Oh and I'm pretty so I have that going for me..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Unlikely, my last resort is always jewelry.

Don't feel bad for her, like I'm spending money she wouldn't. 

I have one vice, watches, she might complain a bit but she is an enabler since 50% of my collection are gifts from her.

Oh and I'm pretty so I have that going for me..

I was just making a joke.  Pretty does help, though.

Edited by EdipisReks1

Me timing black beans this morning for soup later. Chronographs are useful!

59351503003__19FD52A0-DA18-44BB-A563-A7425E24B21B.jpeg

On 10/20/2019 at 11:23 PM, SeaWolf said:

I fully understand and take no offense.

I've never done well expressing my self in written English. It always loses nuance. 

Oh, no worries, and you do great!  I was making a joke about making a joke.

My initial impressions of the pictures of the new Lange sports watch were not great, while the dial is excellent, I'm OK with the dressy bracelet because it fits the brand and even the non integration of the bracelet because that has been done to death recently. 

But the case with the pushers sticking out on one side looked awkward, like a nautilus with an ear chopped off. 

However in the video link below those pushers seem much less pronounced. At many angles I don't even notice them. 

I can't wait to see this in person! I've gotten to try many Lange watches and hope to one day have my own lange. 

Hublot deservedly gets a lot of flack, but they do some cool things, especially with materials. Their magic gold for instance is really impressive in concept and in your hands. 

The model like from them most is the "spirit of big bang". It's obviously their interpretation of a tonneau Richard mill, but I like their take on that. The fact that it is powered be the El primero doesn't hurt. One of those in magic gold is on my short list. 

C_34msxUwAERkaF?format=jpg&name=small

I would add a red leather/rubber strap from them to go with the stock. 

They've just evolved shapes mimicking Richard Mille's, which OTOH is another shitty hyperexpensive tasteless manufacturer focused on tasteless new rich customers. To their recognition (Hublot's) goes being one of the first labels to make horrible stuff for the ignorant wealthy. To each one their own, I guess :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Torpedo said:

They've just evolved shapes mimicking Richard Mille's, which OTOH is another shitty hyperexpensive tasteless manufacturer focused on tasteless new rich customers. To their recognition (Hublot's) goes being one of the first labels to make horrible stuff for the ignorant wealthy. To each one their own, I guess :ph34r:

Pretty damn right.

And listen to Philippe Dufour's opinion on how dull and disconnected to the legacy are the actual manufacturers.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think the UG wears extremely well.  I have it on a period 20x14 Spiedel lizard strap and a UG gold-plated buckle. That strap has had the better part of a century to outgas, and it don't cause me issues. The watch keeps terrible time, but that is to be expected from a Unisonic, even right after service.  There is a reason quartz became the electric standard. This would be an incredibly charming watch even if it didn't have my dad's name and social security number engraved on the back, but I'd hate to have had to have timed that 14 second burn on Apollo 13 (which was actually done with a 1675 GMT Master, not a Speedy) with it.IMG_1389.thumb.jpeg.17ef15fa2d4eb8a5d6de114799ac64c5.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, the wife has done a lot of work to get it to this point. There is one large and 3 medium cabinets left to build then she will move on to making the drawers and doors. 

Apparently she finds this sort of thing 'fun'. 

She is also going to do the custom interior of the safe with the upper part jewelry and watch drawers and the lower for files. 

• Like 1

My only hesitation with buying that particular watch without trying it on is the size. 

It is lug-less which helps a lot, but there is no getting around the nominal case diameter or the thickness. 

But if you are already accustomed to wearing sizable watches maybe go for it. If not, I would wait until you can try it on. 

At its price point I think a drive to confirm it fits is worth the time. 

I’ve previously tried on a 48mm Tissot Seastar 1000 which wore big especially due to extra lug size, but it didn’t look ridiculous on me. I’ve seen the Tuna being compared to the 007 on two hands of the same person and the miniscule lugs do help a bunch.