Watches

Dusty Chalk

About the ALS Odysseus, I don’t normally like bracelets because although I get a perfect fit when my wrist is warm, when it’s not the fit is loose which I don’t like, the bracelet length on the Odysseus though is adjustable on the wrist.

I think the look of the Odysseus is ok, but I’d prefer it with a large seconds handle.

Edited by Dave R

What i normally do to combat this is size the watch at 70f to the middle of the micro adjust that way when It gets cold i can pull it in and if it is warm i can put it out.

Although there have been times in the tropics that between heat and humidity I ran out of adjustment and actually switched to a different watch for the rest of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 3:53 AM, Dave R said:

Any thoughts here on the new ALS Odysseus sports watch.

1C262014-21A4-49E1-A0FD-55B10E48494F.thumb.jpeg.4e655fa6ce5090b379dd8621e66cd7ed.jpeg3B6E3898-3B60-4702-A82F-91B114D55FF6.thumb.jpeg.7093fe68c699e98413c2cffd0c743b46.jpeg52ADD486-EC2A-4ABE-A616-F781A4FEBEA7.thumb.jpeg.5a3da41d5694a6ec05b4a7614e5e6d1e.jpegA1FAAAAD-F7BF-47ED-B51B-96CAF4E222F9.thumb.jpeg.26979c4aa6999de741995f8575b3f4f9.jpeg

I seemed to have missed quite a few responses on the thread so apologies for the late input, Dave.

I'm not feeling it....this watch is not harmonious IMO.  It's awkward.  

HS

Well, the rabbit hole opened. I bought one of these https://gamages.london/watch/limited-edition-moon-phase-automatic/?attribute_pa_color=rose&variation_id=2510

But I bought it brand new, boxed and 5 year guaranteed from an auction house for £95 (plus 20% seller premium plus 20% VAT for £138). Still a helluva bargain for a mechanical watch. Bit of a beast though at 43mm diameter and 15mm thick.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been contemplating an automatic with legibility goals. No complications, etc. After debating over several models (Bell & Ross, Lum-Tec Combat, etc.) I may have settled on a Flieger, probably an updated, streamlined Stowa Flieger Verus 40 (over a Stowa Classic). Any words of advice (I know a few members, including Mike, had Stowas previously, and they were last discussed here almost a decade ago) or alternatives I should consider? If there’s one trend I noticed it’s people seem to cycle through them, but that may be simply be a watch/gear thing. Or it could be a simple watch gets boring quick. Obviously the design has been around a year or two. I’m not a watch guy and a bit scared of being sucked in, but I also have design issues with nearly all watches, which is a safety. Anyway, everyone in this thread is more experienced than I, so open to all suggestions, including if you’re further down whatever path this is. Thanks in advance. 

D330FC85-9EF2-446F-B3B9-02F973826F7C.jpeg

Edited by blessingx

Been contemplating an automatic with legibility goals. No complications, etc. After debating over several models (Bell & Ross, Lum-Tec Combat, etc.) I may have settled on a Flieger, probably an updated, streamlined Stowa Flieger Verus 40 (over a Stowa Classic). Any words of advice (I know a few members, including Mike, had Stowas previously, and they were last discussed here almost a decade ago) or alternatives I should consider? If there’s one trend I noticed it’s people seem to cycle through them, but that may be simply be a watch/gear thing. Or it could be a simple watch gets boring quick. Obviously the design has been around a year or two. I’m not a watch guy and a bit scared of being sucked in, but I also have design issues with nearly all watches, which is a safety. Anyway, everyone in this thread is more experienced than I, so open to all suggestions, including if you’re further down whatever path this is. Thanks in advance. 
spacer.png

Howdy!

What about the Sinn 836 Tegimented?

https://wornandwound.com/baseworld-2018-introducing-the-sinn-836-tegimented-the-german-brands-latest-tool-watch/
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2020 at 8:45 AM, blessingx said:

D330FC85-9EF2-446F-B3B9-02F973826F7C.jpeg

blessingx,

Would you share a bit more about your goals / preferences?  Obviously you prefer a simple / uncomplicated style...feels a modern take on a military/avaiation watch from my limited experience.  I see a round 40mm, that's a bit over 10mm tall, auto, black and white face with hour and minute markers, see through case back, leather and tang buckle, seconds hand but no date at roughly a $750-$1000 price point.  Anything to add or correct?

I have to say the Sinn is more to my aesthetic than the Flieger.  They run a bit large for my wrist unfortunately as I find some of their styles interesting.

Perhaps this Oris as an option.  Links to Oris site, jomashop one model, and joma several options...

https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-55th-reno-air-races-limited-edition/01-752-7698-4194-set-ts

https://www.jomashop.com/oris-watch-751-7697-4164bkfs.html

https://www.jomashop.com/jomasearch?query=oris big crown pro pilot#

HS

These are some of my favorite automatics:

Junghans Max Bill automatic

https://www.junghans.de/en/junghans-collection/watches/maxbill/maxbill-maxbillautomatic/027-3500-04/model/detail.html

spacer.png

Nomos Glashütte Tangomat Reference 641

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangomat/tangomat-641

spacer.png

and the Glashütte Club Campus neomatik 39 midnight blue

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/club/club-campus-neomatik-39-midnight-blue-767

spacer.png

Edited by HiWire

Thanks much all four of you. The suggestions are definitely along my preferred path. IWC came into play when researching Flieger originals and they definitely have some nice models and a Max Bill would have already been ordered if the model I liked had sapphire crystal (the Form A may still). Nomos' are beautiful. Oris wasn't considered, but will now. I was even looking at watches popular with nurses (quickly taking pulse).

I know how ridiculous it sounds to be discussing historical designs like Flieger or Bauhaus to say the following... but, I suspect the big driving force is I don't care enough about horological history to give it much weight if it comes in conflict against modern, information Design. Course that's an if. Probably why I drift towards pilot watches. Maybe why I like some newish microbrands over many standards. But I'd take a balanced, bold font over a historically accurate choice. Glance. Time. Thus not the position of the moon or how long I've been underwater or recording laps around the racetrack. So yeah, not complicated. 

And like all things I'm just talking about my preferences for this choice. Plenty of watches I can admire through the lens of timekeeping history or for other uses or as part of a collection. 

So further answering the above questions. I'd like it to last and an automatic. Would like to keep it near or under $1K new or used (so many nice choices 3x and above). Last analog watch was 44mm and I thought much too big, so around 40mm give and take on other priorities. White or black dial with opposite for indicators. A splash of color would be fine properly applied. Anything with three or more fonts on its face should probably be eliminated, but surprise me. I'm a sucker for a display back (it doesn't get in the way of reading time), but not essential. Generally like a sweeping second hand so appropriate movement. I'll probably replace any strap with a black rubber/silicone one for practical purposes.

And directly relating to all the above, this is that hunt for single everyday watch, not part of a collection, with one big caveat - it will be worn with and without an Apple Watch on the other wrist. This for time. Apple Watch for other data (calendaring, maps, messages, etc.). So a single everyday watch as sometimes part of two everyday watches. I don't know how common this is, but wanted to mention. 

Finally, I've seen here and elsewhere people tend to move through Fliegers, Max Bills, etc. The various models seem to be a lot of peoples first "serious watches."  Part of this could be collection building, but any comments on that?  

Man, thanks much for the time you've already spent thinking about my earlier post and other choices to consider. Any other comments/suggestions are also appreciated. 

• Like 1