Watches

Dusty Chalk

"serious watch" is a bit of a non sense way of looking at it. That's generally a term applied to the first watch someone has bought with thought and effort put into the purchase. 

For different people that can be vastly different brands. 

As long as the purchase has meaning to you don't worry about it. 

Makes sense. And if you’re satisfied and stop there, I guess there’s no second, so no first. 
Showed Melissa the Nomos Glashütte Club Campus neomatik and she fell in love. Showed her the price and the fling was short-lived. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like you are definitely in the exploratory phase which is a good thing.  Figure out what you want.

The G-Shock above has nothing in common with the pilot style watches presented previously.  This thing is uuuuuuuuge, has no numerals on the face, is a chrono...I could go on.  That's a big watch so hopefully you've got a wrist that can carry it.  The good thing is you can beat on it and it will keep on going.

Happy hunting.

HS

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blessingx said:

Yeah, no interested in it for the wrist, but came across on a Watchuseek private sale and was surprised at the cross branding and I was drunk posting. 

LOL.  

Have you taken a look at the Hamilton Khaki line?  Super clean and great value for money, but perhaps the dial is a touch busy for you.  Worth a look if you have not, IMO.

HS

1 minute ago, HemiSam said:

LOL.  

Have you taken a look at the Hamilton Khaki line?  Super clean and great value for money, but perhaps the dial is a touch busy for you.  Worth a look if you have not, IMO.

HS

Yes, last night. It’s nice. Thanks for suggesting. Looked at many, many models last night including some beautiful Sinns and Christopher Wards. Just wished I never saw that cursed Nomos Club Campus neomatik 39 midnight blue. 

• Haha 2

Sometimes you have to learn to love something less expensive... I had the same reaction to a Swatch Royal Blue Rebel (SUOS702) while on vacation. I've learned that sometimes you find something (or someone) perfect and you'll regret not acting for the rest of your life. The relationship was consummated immediately.  😍

spacer.png

spacer.png

New Gent.jpg

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 4

I'm wearing mechanicals for the first time in weeks.  Why don't they unlock my computers when I walk nearby? Anyway, attached is a comparison of JLC and Cartier blued-hands. I think the JLC hands are a bit nicer, at least on a less-than-sunny day. There is a slight variation in the thermal-bluing, so I'd say that all of these are hand-blued, but the JLC hands are done slightly slower, which is why they pop so much. 

IMG_0261.jpeg

60959635434__4543046B-7251-4336-920B-AF0FFD2AF63D.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

Beautiful pieces, ER!

I always wear mechanicals so that decision is for me. On occasion I have been curious about an Apple watch but...no.  They don't look visually appealing to me up to this point.  Old school I guess.

I've been mixing it up when I go out.  Mostly the 39mm Oyster, but the Omega FOIS on the croc band is hard to pass up for long.  I've been using the blue gilt Baltic Aquascape as my beater and it's been great.  I mean serious repeated beatings and keeps great time.  Never take off the rubber strap as it is so comfortable and suits the watch well IMO.  My older son keeps sniping it during vacations.  If he nails a close to perfect semester at university I told him it's his...  TBD.

HS

23 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

I wear a similar gshock to that when riding my dirt bike and when in my can-am. Both activities cause quite a bit of shock and vibration. Very happy with it those applications. Also shooting and a few other things. 

20200425_094800.jpg

Been using my Aquascaphe for going to the range...a good bit with zero issues thus far. Great beater.

HS

I really like my Apple watches, but I understand. I might switch to a GMT Master for the afternoon, if I can find a bottle of gin in my pantry...

No gin found. I knew there wouldn’t be any. 

How does the FOIS wear? I have a pre-moon and a current pro, but I’m not that familiar with how other Speedies (and yours is a beauty) wear. I am down to a 6.5 inch wrist now, but I honestly think the Pros wear smaller than my 116170LN, though bigger than the 1675. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I really like my Apple watches, but I understand. I might switch to a GMT Master for the afternoon, if I can find a bottle of gin in my pantry...

No gin found. I knew there wouldn’t be any. 

How does the FOIS wear? I have a pre-moon and a current pro, but I’m not that familiar with how other Speedies (and yours is a beauty) wear. I am down to a 6.5 inch wrist now, but I honestly think the Pros wear smaller than my 116170LN, though bigger than the 1675. 

ER,

I love it.  Super happy with the Jean Rousseau alligator strap I had made with the deployant clasp...that was a game changer for the watch both in wearability and aesthetics for me.  The 39mm is a sweet spot for me given I also have a relatively small wrist.  I've included a crappy pic which doesn't do it justice, but it's the best I have at the moment.

As for the gin, you really need to address that gap!  My bar has never been so loaded and my liver has never worked as hard as since this virus arrived...

HS

IMG_0559.thumb.jpg.61e077de2af89f003cc0656d7867c364.jpg

• Like 4

That’s a beautiful piece, as I remembered. I’ll go to the store tomorrow. Was going to go today, but panic attack. I really, really wish I had a BSL3 suit. 

I bet the 39mm Speedy wears beautifully. Better than my 42mm Pros.The GMT 2 looks like a monster in comparison. 

IMG_0271.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3

Stunning collection, ER!  Truly.

I'm not that far along.  I've been struggling to figure out what the sweet spot is for number of watches for me personally.  I have a few I hardly ever wear now.  Not super fancy, but nice watches that are attractive in my eyes.  First world problems...

HS

8 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I'm not that far along.  I've been struggling to figure out what the sweet spot is for number of watches for me personally.  I have a few I hardly ever wear now.  Not super fancy, but nice watches that are attractive in my eyes.  First world problems...

HS

One more, the sweet spot is always "one more" 

Moving targets are the most fun! 

I have a great amount of respect for smart watches imo they are the modern descendents of the tool watches from back in the day. That my galaxy watch has a cellular modem in it and I can take calls makes it so I can do some things when I'm on call I couldn't without a smart watch. 

I think that we're nearing the day of an integrated traditional watch with truly essential smart functions.  I just need notifications on my wrist, I don't need or want to make calls or take the battery life hit that it brings. I get that there is a market for that, I'm just not it. I know I'm a broken record but until Apple gets me a week of run time without a charger I'm not a buyer. I charge my Garmin so infrequently I hardly think about it. I don't want another daily or every other day charging ritual. If we some how get a bonus this year it'll likely go into upgrading the Fenix as the HR function has started to get flaky and while wearing a chest strap works, it's inconvenient and i'm not doing it all day. 

• Like 1

My wife has a Garmin I bought her for Xmas and she's a fan.  Wears it more than her Omega or Cartier anniversary gifts.

Not my thing, but more power to those that are into it.  I love audio, video, automobile, laptop, tablet and mobile phone tech.  Interconnectivity is a bonus.  The smart watch has not called me given the mobility a phone offers but I expect I'm missing something.  Won't keep me up at night, though...LOL.

HS

• Like 1

When on call and doing water sports the smart watch works much better than a cellphone. Also for other things like trials I like it more than putting the phone in an arm band simply because I can look down and see if it's a call I can ignore. 

The water park and many of the places around the lake also take nfc payments so no wallet needed either. 

Depending on the activity I am not above double fisting it. 

20190615_163021.jpg

• Like 1

^ Water sports and double fisting in the same post! 😉

Just quoting a few lines, cause they're funny in hindsight (like going back to early iPod reviews), linked off the above Hodinkee article. 

"The Apple Watch is an incredible piece of engineering, no doubt. It is still not as cool as a mechanical watch, to real people." Ouch.

"In the same way those who publicly wore bluetooth headsets five years ago and those who wore Google Glass one year ago, will smartwatches ever become a thing that people genuinely want?"

"Imagine a man who grew up in the middle class, went to a decent school, got an okay job, lives in a nice apartment in some metropolitan town, maybe drives a German car and occasionally splurges on something nice for himself. Do you see him wearing the Apple Watch? I don't."

Edited by blessingx
  • Haha 2