Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be hard/impossible to be done without removing material.  The pain will be directly proportionate to the depth of the engraving and at some point just becomes infeasible.  If it's a very light engraving it may be able to be polished out but that seems unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised this has taken so long to be made.  I've had an original, made in 1969 or 1970 (this was before they became crazy expensive), and it was too small and cheaply made.  Of course NASA chose the JB Champion 19mm bracelet because it was fragile: if an astronaut caught the watch on something while floating in their capsule, it would likely break instead of breaking the spacecraft.  It looked pretty cool, though. This looks really great.  Better made and better sized (I care much less about "authenticity" these days). I dunno if I'll wear it on my old one or my new one.

I bought the horned end version.  The coupon code MOON gets you free priority shipping, for anybody interested. 

https://forstnerbands.com/products/forstner-komfit-jb-mesh-watch-band-with-horned-ends

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

Very cool, ER.  

Surprised they didn't include some wrist shots for context.  Hopefully you'll post some so we can see how it looks on you.  Might be an option for my FOIS.  I'm still enamored with the JR alligator band.  I never put on the beads of rice band on my Aquascaphe...always have the blue rubber one as it's so comfortable and suits the watch IMO, but who knows...

HS

• Like 1

Awesomely!  Look forward to seeing them, ER.

You're spot on.  I've seen some amazing Speedies with all kinds of bands.  I don't mix it up much...I should do.  Just easier for me to grab a watch and go.  Maybe that will change once I retire...  Or not...LOL.

HS

On 5/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, luvdunhill said:

Anyone have any experience removing a laser engraving from case back?

It is likely possible to fill the engraving using a laser and bar stock, and then polishing it out. It's a pretty common jewelry technique, these days.  What is the base metal, 316L? Laser engraving is usually pretty shallow, so I would just have it polished out.

On 5/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, EdipisReks1 said:

Get an Omega NATO, If you don’t have one. They are superb. 

I looked at them.  Might do one of these days.  I've got a couple of NATO's for another watch that should work for a test spin.  If I ever get the JR band off of it I might just try them.  Haven't quite got there with the NATO's thus far other than on a more casual watch.  I'm behind the times...LOL

HS

13 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I looked at them.  Might do one of these days.  I've got a couple of NATO's for another watch that should work for a test spin.  If I ever get the JR band off of it I might just try them.  Haven't quite got there with the NATO's thus far other than on a more casual watch.  I'm behind the times...LOL

HS

I guess it helps having more than one Speedy, so you can have one casual and one more formal: hint hint :)

• Haha 1

The JB Champion reissue looks great, but something I didn't expect is that my hands have gotten bad enough (I have been diagnosed with neuro-sarcoidosis, and I have tremor and loss of sensation in my fingertips) that I can't get the thing to adjust when I'm wearing it. I'll happily send it to any Head-Case Speedy owner who would like it, just pay shipping.  I used most of the adhesive lug protectors, so you would want to buy some of these

IMG_0865.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Sad 3