Watches

Dusty Chalk

My 116710LN has developed a sticky date wheel. It still keeps COSC. It hasn’t been worked on since it was new (2012). Any tricks? I know sometimes one can redistribute lubricant. I can slightly touch the hour indent and it advances. I know it just needs a service, but I wear it and it’s not a great moment to do it. 

Update: I shook the shit out of it last night and it seemingly popped right over to the date at the switch, as it was not stuck when I woke this morning. *shrug*

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, HemiSam said:

I have been waiting on a watch I ordered a long while. Knew it would be a test of patience. That’s all fine and good but I broke down and bought myself a little something in the meantime....

HS

0BAAD316-43CD-4FBA-A247-51CD237A5862.thumb.jpeg.9009e3d7ece587fff64fd9f4633a5833.jpegE989EE09-2FF0-479C-86EE-4D45A8088295.thumb.jpeg.271d9b0af4873a2f3225cdcfa225e495.jpeg5824D49D-E286-49EC-92FF-F405D9CCAA14.thumb.jpeg.8cf8ea7204daf551793270d64fe06de1.jpeg106503A8-4D10-403D-8D27-0AACFE23B21C.thumb.jpeg.afcfdb3908bf4a9a5acff31fde437f29.jpegD0E16C3A-3837-49FC-B591-D64F8E9A253C.thumb.jpeg.1fa1b57073d6c3c445518d7f1df153bc.jpeg

3ECD66D3-51C8-4759-9327-97B64FEED51A.jpeg

That’s a nice fucking watch. Also, Omega continues with the ridiculous watch boxes! That is the NATO pattern of my choice, too. I miss my 300M. I miss a lot of watches. :)

On 3/5/2021 at 1:14 PM, n_maher said:

^^^ Pretty much the Grail watch for me.  I'll probably never own it, but sure can appreciate it. 

They come up. One will come up at the right time. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

13 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That’s a nice fucking watch. Also, Omega continues with the ridiculous watch boxes! That is the NATO pattern of my choice, too. I miss my 300M. I miss a lot of watches. :)

Thanks, ER.  I saw it in an image and a friend helped me identify it as the Spectre version from 2015.  At 41mm it works a bit better than the newer 42mm versions on my wrist.  Did some research and found an "unworn" one.  Had to have it...

I did not expect it to be as nice as is it including the bracelet based on my prior Omega experiences.  It is the finest watch I own which was a pleasant surprise.

Now if that watch I ordered a couple of years ago would ever come in....LOL

HS

• Like 3

21 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Appreciate the positive attitude Reks but I'm not sure I foresee a time when I can spend that kind of coin on a watch I'd be unlikely to wear.   A quick look says that it's a $10k to $15k watch, used, which makes it a complete nonstarter.  Lovely piece, and like I said, total Grail for me.  I've loved the 007 watches for for a quarter century or more now.

• Like 1

My partner has gotten into watches a bit (I should never have given her that Timex last year, literally just off my coffee table where I had forgotten I had thrown it), and I bought a Tissot Lovely Square for her. The packaging is trying way too hard. The thing on top is a 280 page illustrated history of Tissot, which is included with a catalog that is basically a miniature coffee-table book. I wonder if anybody has ever read that history of Tissot. I bet she'll like it, being a literature professor and all.

I also got a Seiko "Tank" for her, which is a surprisingly hard watch to get considering how cheap they are (and holds up surprisingly well compared to my mother's 40 year old Must de Cartier Tank, though it's not quite as nice as my mother's 45 year old Seiko "Tank" that was the first watch my father ever bought her, and which had a similar price retail). She likes wearing my Reverso and my Santos, so I figured square-ish and different would be good choices. The large Santos fits her surprisingly well, with a bunch of links removed (she is tiny), but I figured something smaller would be a good idea for daily wear. Also she can't have my Santos.

63750038256__956DD374-244E-42D4-9ED1-5754C9446966.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

124661933_1038808416594242_4636921330562254530_o.jpg

Edited by EdipisReks1
My fingers don't work
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if I’m buying a watch this year or not. I told Heather I wouldn’t, but it wasn’t because she cared if I did, but more a reason for me to simply enjoy what I already have. 

The Seamaster 300 that was announced today might change my mind on that. I don’t know. My Omega/Cartier AD closed last year (before pandemic, the owner retired and her kids didn’t want to take over), so I don’t know if I would be able to get 25 percent anywhere else. Probably not. I probably wouldn’t have gotten that on a new model anyway, not for a while. 

But it’s a looker. Also I would wear it. I want a dive watch again. I could get a Captain Cook, or another Prospex, or something, but I wouldn’t wear them, so it’s a waste of money. The 300 I would wear. I’d hate the very first scratch the bezel got, but I’d love how it ended up looking, I’m sure. I like aluminum inserts. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 4 weeks later...

I put my 116710LN on for the first time in a couple months a little while ago. I figured it would be way off, living on a winder and given the date wheel issue. 

9 years old. Never serviced. On a winder for two months. 

It was +19. That’s hard to not be impressed by, I think. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple months in with it: if you have a Speedy with a 20mm lug width, and you don’t like the bracelet it’s on or came with, the Forstner flat link is amazing. It’s not “nice” (as I mentioned earlier it’s a modernized JB Champion, and JBC made garbage), but it’s a really wonderful wear: it’s perfectly modified garbage I guess. I have my 1861 on my wrist a lot due to it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...