Watches

Dusty Chalk

Well that doesn't make me feel any better, ER...LOL.  I have read about the foundation previously although I am far from well informed about the company.  

Tudor is where they're pushing their overflow.  That is the strategy as I understand it.  Which is fine assuming it does not turn into the same...but that's just my feeling on the matter.

It's a first world problem and I just needed a good bitch about it...

HS

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, HemiSam said:

Well that doesn't make me feel any better, ER...LOL.  I have read about the foundation previously although I am far from well informed about the company.  

Tudor is where they're pushing their overflow.  That is the strategy as I understand it.  Which is fine assuming it does not turn into the same...but that's just my feeling on the matter.

It's a first world problem and I just needed a good bitch about it...

HS

No worries! And looking back, I think my reply came out as snippy. It wasn’t intended to be that way. My apologies! I don’t think there is really any extra capacity, though: Tudor watches are hard to get too. 

In new watch news: my partner’s son received my Lorus Mickey Mouse watch when he turned 7. It was the watch I wore when I was his age: I refurbished it. New strap, polished crystal, new gasket on the battery compartment, a light buff of the case. He had been fascinated by why I always had something on my wrist I looked at (not a watch family). He takes it off every night and puts it on every morning. Treats it like something precious. It is austere and elegant with a black case, black dial, and black alligator embossed strap.

He has the dress watch for his collection resolved for the time being. He can even usually read the time reliably. 

He turns 8 soon. He’ll be getting a Switch and games, but I bet he’ll be just as excited by the School-Time Parchie he will also be getting. A fine young ruffian needs a rough and tumble dive watch that they can wear in puddles and pools and general mischief without worrying about it. 8 is a big one.

His mother was jealous and she will be getting a Party-Time Parchie: maybe she’ll actually wear this one. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

3 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

No worries! And looking back, I think my reply came out as snippy. It wasn’t intended to be that way. My apologies! I don’t think there is really any extra capacity, though: Tudor watches are hard to get too. 

In new watch news: my partner’s son received my Lorus Mickey Mouse watch when he turned 7. It was the watch I wore when I was his age: I refurbished it. New strap, polished crystal, new gasket on the battery compartment, a light buff of the case. He had been fascinated by why I always had something on my wrist I looked at (not a watch family). He takes it off every night and puts it on every morning. Treats it like something precious. It is austere and elegant with a black case, black dial, and black alligator embossed strap.

He has the dress watch for his collection resolved for the time being. He can even usually read the time reliably. 

He turns 8 soon. He’ll be getting a Switch and games, but I bet he’ll be just as excited by the School-Time Parchie he will also be getting. A fine young ruffian needs a rough and tumble dive watch that they can wear in puddles and pools and general mischief without worrying about it. 8 is a big one.

His mother was jealous and she will be getting a Party-Time Parchie: maybe she’ll actually wear this one. 

ER,

All good.  I took it in the spirit it was intended.  Just frustrated in the moment and I felt the need to vent...

Very cool on the Mickey watch...good stuff!

HS

I’d honestly been waiting for somebody else to give the watch to. Previous nieces and nephews: too young. Previous stepson: not his thing. This one? Jackpot. :)

The new Parchie Pals, by Cara Barrett, formerly of HODINKEE, are super cool. Perfect for a child or just anybody who wants a colorful and inexpensive but functional and well designed (don’t know about build yet!) small casual watch. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

I figured that if almost-8-year-old and almost-8-year-old’s mom are going to be wearing bright and colorful watches on bright NATO-ish straps, on his birthday (and green is almost-8-year-old’s favorite color, in various shades, which is part of why he gets the School-Time Parchie), it’s only fair for me to join in.

And if I’m going to get a NATO for a lark I might as well get one that somebody will be wearing in 5 generations when the guzzolene is unavailable and people are eating lizards, hand to mouth, off the sand to survive. 

Should look good on a Speedy with a polo shirt once a year at the end of September. I have a plum and orange merino polo by Icebreaker that would be perfectly non-matching. 

21354988-82AF-462C-AAB0-D232BBB4013A.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

I’ll be wearing a bright watch too, when G gets his Parchie Pal School Time in green and teal. 

Planned birthday is a pool party (end of the season). Maybe I should swap the pre-moon for the 1861, but the pre-moon passed it’s tests under a year ago.  8 is a big birthday, and I’ll know. 

CF53CC8F-C01B-47CE-8F7F-ADE9A9824742.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

9D289353-DCEA-44B6-BAAE-846572643520.thumb.jpeg.1b05fae6f7f11030a9be81284f68088d.jpeg

My text disappeared on me…not great w my phone. 

Anyhoo, just got back from the Omega boutique. The new Moon Watch looks great. Deceiving that it’s 42mm. Looks/wears smaller due to lugs. Seemed more slender also  

HS

Edited by HemiSam
  • Like 1

They have gone back to stepped dials. My 1861 doesn’t have that (pre-moon obviously does). Exact same dimensions, more or less, but it has a certain subjective effect. I dunno if you can see the difference in this pic. The new version is marginally thinner, too. The stepped dial breaks up the monolith of dial  

Anyway: All Speedy Pros wear like a 40mm Rolex. The big non-pros, which I don’t have experience with, probably wear bigger (since they are bigger).

EAA44A26-79B9-4D67-8D33-18EA2824ED4A.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was on the phone with Cartier for a warranty service (not mine: a watch of my mother’s). 

I was given a date. I looked at my watch, which has no date dial (GRUT): fuck you Hodnnkee date window weirdos. :)

Phonecall made me want to change watches. Wrist check: goes great with my Birkenstocks and basketball shorts. Also no date wheel.

The Casa Fagliano straps are so much better than anything else in the Richemont group (JLC and ALS have the same strap suppliers, but only JLC gets the Casa Fagliano, first or second hand: third hand anything goes) that it’s sorta crazy. And I normally have custom straps made. FYI. Wish I had one on this.

10A1DEF3-FDF9-4387-A9C1-5102F2F299BD.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Forstner band arrived.  Here it is compared to an early 1171, which is the shitty version of the 1450, which this is more or less an improved copy of. It’s much nicer than the 1171 of course*: solid end links (solid link-links, too: the 1171 has rolled links, just like Rolex of the era), expansion links, doesn’t rattle, links just screw in Rolex style for sizing, etc. This isn’t going onto the Pre-Moon (I only put Omega on that watch), but it’s basically the bracelet the 1861 Speedy should have had instead of the chunky monkey that came with (this will replace the Forstner/JB Champion flat link on that watch, is my guess).

I guess Omega fixed that issue with the newest version of the Pro, but who even knows what those bracelets cost for existing owners.

*vintage Omega bracelets are incredibly comfortable, but a real pain in the ass, for anybody who hasn’t had one, but I wouldn’t replace a well-fitted 1171 with another bracelet for love or money. Well, maybe money.

D533BEB8-4B6A-4F2E-9C7E-3F8667929D1B.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

My mother’s Santos medium needed repair; I posted about that. Cartier ended up replacing the “middle module.” It’s basically the main chassis component with the movement. 

Well, my Santos, bought a couple weeks after she got hers, developed the same issue last week, and it’s currently on its way to the Cartier depot. My guess is they’ll do the same. 

Issue with early Santos movements? Cartier radically extended the warranties of watches bought 2018-2019, and they are easy to deal with (they provide packing material and pay shipping both ways), so it’s not a huge deal, but I wonder what the issue is. It was pretty much a brand new manufacture movement when the Santos was released: not unusual for their to be teething issues on a new movement. 

Edited by EdipisReks1