Watches

Dusty Chalk

3 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I don’t think there is any reason not to get a Santos now. They are wonderful watches, and the two I have experience with were bought right after they were released. Better than Tudor not wanting to fix the issues with the Black Bay GMT. 

I haven't been much into watches lately, what's the issue with the BB GMT?

5 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I don’t remember precisely, but I believe it had to do with the GMT hand going out of synch with the hour hand. 

(not photo of my GMT) it's a stuck date. luckily it hasn't happened to me yet and my AD hasn't seen it from their clients, but it's still a risk with this watch.

stuck date.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, trevorlane said:

(not photo of my GMT) it's a stuck date. luckily it hasn't happened to me yet and my AD hasn't seen it from their clients, but it's still a risk with this watch.

stuck date.jpeg

Stuck date! That’s right. I’m surprised they haven’t fixed it, given that the watch has been out for a little while now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was at my partner’s great-uncle’s funeral this past weekend. He was the patriarch of the clan. Heather’s family is Scottish: he came over after Korea, with his wife from Jersey (a story in and of itself). He was bigger than life in some ways, and kind and decent,  and everything I’ve heard says to me that I’m sad I didn’t get to meet him.

It was sorrowful, and happy in remembrance, and I got to see her family again (they have absolutely welcomed me, and I appreciate them so much). I wore my Drive Extra Flat. I wore it because I thought “boy, this watch is beautiful on my dresser, but leaves me cold on the wrist, but selling a watch is such a pain in the ass so I never have done so, so I should probably wear it.”

At the wake, after, the youngest adult grand-daughter of the decedent, whom I adore (vibrant, smart, fun as hell, striking out on her own at the end of her college career in secondary education and the first openly gay member of the family) kept looking at my wrist (jacket off and sleeves rolled up). I of course noticed. She finally got around to asking what the watch was, because she just was fascinated and loved it. I took it off and handed it to her and told her what it was and said “try it on.” 

There have been a few times where I have seen somebody’s life just shift a little by an object. I of course immediately said it was hers. Sending the box and papers off to her tomorrow. I’m sure she’ll wear it for the rest of her life, and she’ll remember me every time she puts it on, when I’m long gone.

I have a form of “seller’s remorse” now, of course: it was so damned pretty on my dresser!

Thought the ‘case watch people would like the little story. Watches aren’t worth anything if they aren’t worn. 

[Edits because I got some of the family details wrong as I thought about it.]

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You are a good man J. I too try to share/gift something special to someone who truly appreciates what that gift entails. To me it is a combination of paying it forward and continuing the legacy. You just earned a gazillion Karma points for that gesture. 

19 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

You are a good man J. I too try to share/gift something special to someone who truly appreciates what that gift entails. To me it is a combination of paying it forward and continuing the legacy. You just earned a gazillion Karma points for that gesture. 

Well, I dunno about the karma points, and I certainly don’t know about the “good man” part, but I bet she buys the beers next time!

But yes: what is the point of keeping stuff until we are dead?

Edited by EdipisReks1

Plus now I have room for something else! I’ve decided it’s time for a gold watch again, I think. Now I just have to decide on what and start saving. It may very well be nothing more than trading in my Santos for a two-tone model (which is what I should have gotten to begin with, in hindsight), as that watch is essentially perfect for me, and stays on my wrist for weeks, sometimes months at a time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An interesting article! I’m three (or is it two? I never know how to count these things, which suggests one shouldn’t trust my p-value calculations)* degrees from Ralph Ellison (my partner’s mentor was mentored by Ellison). He had the model precisely one before my Pre-Moon, a 1968 145.012 vs 1969 145.022, which is what I would have preferred even without it being Ralph Ellison’s!

https://www.watchonista.com/articles/history/epic-tale-proving-provenance-ralph-ellisons-speedmaster

*I guess three; I’ve met Jake Gyllenhaal, as I will tell anybody whom I think vaguely will listen (he and I are precisely the same height in dress shoes; I checked and he was very polite), and I’m one degree from him, so three follows logically in this case. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Just an interesting aside; the last letter Ellison sent to Heather’s mentor was not successfully delivered. It was in the late-60s, and Alan was a doctoral student having just finished his dissertation who lived in NYC and constantly was moving.

Well, that letter was found, somehow (delivered to an old address with no forwarding, I suppose, but I have no idea how one would even begin to track that down), because it’s in The Selected Letters of Ralph Ellison, and Alan read it for the first time in that book.

In twenty-fucking-nineteen.

He obviously never responded to that letter (every correspondence has a final note; I will remember several of my own final received notes for the rest of my life, often final because my correspondent became deceased before I could respond), and that must have been a moment with a lot of mixed and powerful emotions. 

I can only assume they talked and met many times after (Ellison dying in the 90s, and American Lit being a fairly small field), but my understanding is that the letter certainly wasn’t brought up.

Life is funny. Also I want that watch!!

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody else getting dramatically better battery life on older Apple Watches since the most recent update?

My 40mm series 4 is still e-waste, but the 44mm is on track to get 20 hours of constant use, and it hasn’t done that in a long time (battery “health” at 81, currently).

I purchased a Baltic Aquascape some years ago as my true tool / beater watch.  Told my older boy if he nailed his grades during a semester of college he could have it....well.  He's been loving that watch since then on the beads of rice bracelet.  I preferred the tropic rubber strap...such is life.

Was looking to replace it and everything I wanted was sold out at Baltic.  My impatience led me to this Peren.  Micro brand.   I bought it on the stainless bracelet but they had supplier issues and sent it on a super crappy black NATO.  I put it on an olive one I had laying around which I think serves it much better.  

IMG_7960.thumb.JPG.990c45aed3f25b55f3bde723591632d1.JPG

It hasn't fully grown on me yet...

HS

IMG_7959.JPG

Edited by HemiSam
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...