Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I still love it, it just doesn’t fit my skinny wrists anymore! Because of that I don’t wear it, and there isn’t much point in having a watch I don’t wear. I plan on replacing it with something, if it sells, so the watch box stays full. I wish the Ed White weren’t so incredibly spendy, as it would fit my wrist better, I’m sure. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

I think the First Omega in Space is a great size, especially if you're a fan of manual winds.  I wasn't a huge fan of the lambskin strap so I had a custom alligator one made by the shop that makes the original lambskin ones so the fitment is spot on and the deployant clasp I requested is more to my liking.  

I agree...shame the Ed White is silly money.  Sexy beast...  

HS

• Like 1

The problem for me is that my wrists are quite round and quite small, so the Speedmaster pro sits very proud on my wrist. It’s why I tend to prefer watches that are substantially thinner (no longer have any extra flat watches though; those are too thin!). The JLC complete calendar is about as thick as I want a watch to be where the thickness is case and not crystal; it’s under 11mm. It wasn’t an issue when I had 8 inch wrists (you should have seen the Maurice LaCroix Double Retrograde GMT I used to wear!), but is certainly an issue with 6 3/4 wrists. I’m 6’ tall at about 190 and my wrists aren’t much larger than my 5’2” 100 pound 80 year old mother’s wrists. 

The Ed White would be a hell of a $10,000 watch. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Buyer flaked on the Speedmaster. Thanks EBay! Anyway, I may just keep it. Obviously I didn’t need to sell it to buy the Hermes, I have just been trying to consolidate without spending any money out of my pocket. Maybe what I need is a new strap for it. As I age I become less of a bracelet person.

Speaking of straps, apparently I’m not allergic to chrome tanned leather anymore, which is weird, as I had a rather strong and fairly immediate reaction. I could usually get away with wearing a chrome tanned strap for a few hours, but I would always get a rash the next day. I’m on day five of a chrome tanned alligator on my Santos, with no rash. This opens up a lot of possibilities for me, especially with the Santos with the proprietary lugs, and suggests I’ll be able to wear the Slim on the OEM Hermes strap. 

• Like 2

FYI: think twice before buying something on eBay that goes through “authentication:” FedEx Express* is the last mile provider, and if you live in an apartment or condo complex you ain’t gonna get your watch unless you go through a lot of hoops or knew beforehand that it’s best just to have the box delivered to a FedEx location for hold. 

I’m *hoping* the Hermes gets held today. Oh; the contract eBay has with FedEx requires the item to never be held anywhere unless eBay intervenes. EBay is at least easy to get on the phone. The authentication group is very aware of the problems. If the damned thing had just been sent directly to me from Japan I would have had it a week ago. 

*whenever I see FedEx Express on something my heart drops into my stomach, but this has been infuriating even for FedEx Express.

It arrived. I ended up just sitting outside for 3 hours. Anyway, I love it. The internet has different thicknesses listed. I get 7.85 mm. It’s just thick enough to have some presence. Not much thicker than the hand wound Reverso ultra thin case, though a noticeable bit thicker than the Drive extra flat. The strap is the nicest alligator strap I’ve handled.

2A471CBE-8575-4E01-BF2E-8794C7B9E0C4.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3

It definitely wears like a 40mm watch, but of course very slim. It wears similarly to the Drive extra flat, which is also a bigger watch than a lot of people expect.

Sam, it’s interesting to me that the typeface looks perfectly art deco while looking completely contemporary. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I traded my 116170LN for a Santos Dumont in rose gold plus a good bit of cash. Rolex prices high/precious metal watches low. 

It’s not the fanciest watch in the world, but the gold Santos Dumont has been a grail for me. It just took two years of never wearing the GMT Master 2 to get me to do something about it, I guess. 

• Like 2